shape
carat
color
clarity

Regrading AGS 1999 Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pepperdine05

Rough_Rock
I recently bought a diamond and I need some advice.
Since AGS changed their grading system in 2005 what is recommended for buyers who have a diamond with an AGS DQD from 1999?
Secondly, if I do decide to regrade what is the chance that the grading will change from the old AGS DQD?

My current AGS DQD 1999 states

RoundBrilliant

Cut Grade: AGS 0 Ideal
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Proportions: Ideal

Color Grade: AGS 0 (D)

Clarity Grade: AGS 0 (IF)

Carat Weight: .505

Fluoresence: inert

Table: 57%
Girdle/Faceted: 1.0-1.7%
Cutlet: Very Small
Crown angle:35.8
Pavilion ange: 41.0
Crown:15.6%
Pavilion: 43.0%
Total depth: 61.2%

Should I regrade my stone with the new AGS system which includes light performance?

Finally,

The AGS DQD states that it has an inscription but I cannot see it. I have used a microscope with 40x lens.
What are my other options to completedly secure that this stone represents the details AGS DQD?
Someone told me to weigh the stone and someone else said they could not plot it since the stone was IF.

Please help me with my three questions, Should I regrade?,Should I regrade my current AGS 000 stone?, and no inscription, and what do i do?

Thank you

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
None of it matters unless you plan on trying to sell it soon. Otherwise just enjoy it!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't think of a single reason to have an AGS diamond regraded unless you were selling it and the buyer insisted on a new cert. Since it sounds like you have recently bought the diamond, I'd certainly take it to an appraiser to be sure it is the diamond represented on the cert. With it being D IF, it'll look a lot like a CZ, so I'd at least want to be sure it is a diamond! And you'll need the appraisal for your insurance as well.

pepperdine05

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your feedback... but can you clarify??
"With it being D IF, it''ll look a lot like a CZ, so I''d at least want to be sure it is a diamond! And you''ll need the appraisal for your insurance as well"

What is the ring''s market value with a 0 cut grade, 0 clarity (IF), and 0 color grade (D) and carat weight (.505)?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/11/2007 10:54:54 PM
Author: pepperdine05
Thank you for your feedback... but can you clarify??

''With it being D IF, it''ll look a lot like a CZ, so I''d at least want to be sure it is a diamond! And you''ll need the appraisal for your insurance as well''

What is the ring''s market value with a 0 cut grade, 0 clarity (IF), and 0 color grade (D) and carat weight (.505)?

Well with a diamond with inclusions, you can usually visually with a loupe inspect it to make sure it''s YOUR diamond. Without inclusions to plot there is no way to do that yourself.

Do you mean market value if YOU sold it? Or what a similar one could be purchased for right now online/ at a store?

If it''s the latter, use the SEARCH BY CUT feature under the PRICES headings above. Put in all your specs, and voila, you''ll see what other diamonds are going for now.

If YOU''RE going to try and sell your diamond, unfortunately, you will probably only get 1/2 of the price you find in your search above.

pepperdine05

Rough_Rock
What is this stone worth?
Does this stone have any setbacks I should know about?

I have not really found great comparisons for this stone. I have tried to look for price comparisons but it has been frustrating.

Should I regrade to the updated AGS system?

Would this increase the worth of the stone?

Will the new AGS DQD increase the vakue more than the Old AGS DQD?

RoundBrilliant
Cut Grade: AGS 0 Ideal
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Proportions: Ideal

Color Grade: AGS 0 (D)

Clarity Grade: AGS 0 (IF)

Carat Weight: .505

Fluoresence: inert

Table: 57%
Girdle/Faceted: 1.0-1.7%
Cutlet: Very Small
Crown angle:35.8
Pavilion ange: 41.0
Crown:15.6%
Pavilion: 43.0%
Total depth: 61.2%

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Hi.

Is there a reason you want a D IF stone? You could easy drop down to a VS F/G with NO appreciable difference to the eye... and get a bigger stone.

Oh to find out what that one is worth... go tot he tabs at the top of the page the one drop[ down marked PRICES will help you.

ALSO that stone gets a 4.7 on the cut advisor. I would NOT want it. If you are looking for a perfect stone... the cut on this one is far from perfect. It will not sparkle and shine. The D IF is wasted COMPLETELY on a poorly cut stone. It's cut that makes a diamond shine and sparkle. NOT the color and clarity. So factor that into your price. Do for only 'good' cut diamonds... not ideal or excellent, or very good.

You already bought it, I know... but you wanted the truth, and have posted several times for it....

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/12/2007 2:09:27 AM

Should I regrade to the updated AGS system?

Would this increase the worth of the stone?

Will the new AGS DQD increase the vakue more than the Old AGS DQD?
Probably not. The new metric is stricter; this table-crown-pavilion combo is predicted to receive an AGS 3-4 in light performance.

pepperdine05

Rough_Rock
I want to thank you all for your honest feedback

With your information regarding light perfromance (3-4) and cut advisorv(4.7)
how can this stone be certified by AGS as an ideal cut 0?

Secondly,
what is actual cut on this ring , 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, 3A, 3B?

I would like to continue be infomed about this stone to develop a better understanding of the cut grade.

Thirdly,
If the cut adivsor is 4.7 does that mean that good light performance is bad?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
HCA only gave it a ''good'' on light performance. Considering that most of the diamonds we look for on here for people tend to have ''excellent" or ''very good'' light performance according to the HCA it''s not good at all. YOu want an HCA score of 2 or less.

As for the AGS cert. It''s old. As the science of diamond grading has evolved and become more precise... so have the standards. It''s like asking for what an ''ideal'' computer was in 1999-- that puppy is going to be considered a bad computer now. 8 years have gone by.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/12/2007 2:13:22 PM
what is actual cut on this ring , 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, 3A, 3B?

This may help you:
http://diamonds.pricescope.com/round.asp

I''m not entirely sure how to use this chart, e.g. how many exceptions to a given category are allowed. Crown angle puts it at 2A, but everything else seems to fit into 1A proportions. I''d trust the HCA more, though.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/12/2007 2:19:51 PM
Author: Gypsy

As for the AGS cert. It's old. As the science of diamond grading has evolved and become more precise... so have the standards. It's like asking for what an 'ideal' computer was in 1999-- that puppy is going to be considered a bad computer now. 8 years have gone by.

Excellent comparison.

The HCA makes a recommendation based on only 5 broad, average measurements. Similarly, the old AGS proportions system used only a few averaged measurements. The new AGS system is more thorough; a 3-dimensional model is created and ray-tracing is used to arrive at numerical values for brightness, dispersion, contrast and leakage.
In essence, the old systems use a vague outline of the diamond to make a judgment where the new system attempts to analyze how all 57 facets work together (in this case 58, since there is a culet present). Many combinations at the outer limits of the old system were eliminated in the new. It’s a more thorough metric for matching a specific diamond to a grade. As scan technology improves it will become more refined.

In case you’re interested in “why” the results are as they are; the crown/pavilion combo is more steep-deep than the HCA likes. Similarly, in the new AGS metric, the upper threshold for CA with a 41.0 pavilion angle is listed as 34.5.The lower PA threshold for a 35.8 crown is 40.6.Or, in short, if the c/p angles were either 41.0/34.5 or 40.6/35.8 the diamond would be predicted to earn a 0 in the new metric. As it stands the combo is outside the upper end of AGS' recommended steep-deep threshold.

If you have a specific reason for updating the report and wanting to earn highest possible marks from a reputable lab this may be of interest to you:41.0/35.8 is just inside the upper threshold of GIA’s Excellent cut grade (introduced in 2006). Their requirements are not as strict for finish. Their color and clarity standards are commensurate with AGS so unless there has been trauma which has changed clarity or polish since 1999 (and depending on minor facet and brillianteering particulars) you could wind up with a new report from GIA with the top cut grade.

pepperdine05

Rough_Rock
Thank You John and Gypsy,

You guys have been upfront and helpful.

I spoke to my jeweler and he will take the stone back.

I am looking for a .5 to .75 diamond that has the most possible brillance.fire etc... what specific porpotions should I be looking for when I meet him again? I thought with an AGS 000, I had a great stone but your input now has me wondering what specs do I really need?

Table:
Crown
Pavilion
Total depth etc.....

My budget is less than 4000

What is neccessary for a ring to have a 2.0 HCA?

What specs should I present to my jeweler?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
And AGS 000 is not what you had, if I understand correctly. Now you want a NEW AGS cert 000... approved by the round experts on here (I''m not a round expert, I know enough to weed out the bad... and and pick some nice ones with enough information but, not an expert).

I would buy from Whiteflash. Their ACA''s are hearts and arrows superideals with AGS 000 certs and with idealscopes and sarins and all the information and reports that will make you feel confident of what you are getting.

What is your budget... and are you willing to go to F VS1 or maybe G VS1 ? How about VS2? Remember diamonds are graded face up for clarity... so if you want to see NO inclusions what so ever from any angle... you need to ask the vendors if that is the case with the stones ... they will look at them and tell you the truth. YOu can trust WF to tell you the truth (John is from WF) they have always been very honest and dependible. Define eyeclean for them as COMPLETELY from any angle and ANY distance.

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Ah, you poor thing, I see where you thought you had an AGS 000 - the 0 for D color, the 0 for IF, and the ''0'' that they listed for cut.

The AGS 000 that you see bandied about a lot on here, is actually a Light Performance Based report. They actually test the diamond for performance. The cut (proportions, angles, etc) is actually what is going to make a diamond a candidate to get the true 000 we so love.

Let me try to get you a link or two. - Hang on

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, I am back.
Look three posts down on this thread. Look at the group of 3 GREEN arrows lined up - this is where the 000 comes from. It has the 3 components, as listed below (copied from the thread) each one giving one of the zeros.

Light Performance (evaluates angular spectrum via modeling and ray-tracing of each diamond)
Proportions (evaluates values associated with weight ratio, durability, tilt, girdle and culet)
Finish (evaluated both polish and symmetry, per above, combined into one grade)

This thread is a really good explanation of the AGS reports.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ags-dqd-grading-reports-old-and-new.45611/

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/12/2007 5:00:41 PM
Thank You John and Gypsy,

You guys have been upfront and helpful.

I spoke to my jeweler and he will take the stone back.

I am looking for a .5 to .75 diamond that has the most possible brillance.fire etc... what specific porpotions should I be looking for when I meet him again? I thought with an AGS 000, I had a great stone but your input now has me wondering what specs do I really need?

Table:
Crown
Pavilion
Total depth etc.....

My budget is less than 4000

What is neccessary for a ring to have a 2.0 HCA?

What specs should I present to my jeweler?
You did not have an AGS 000 stone, but I think that was because you were thinking that the color/clarity was part of the 000 designation.

Are you considering buying online? If you are, we can certainly help you find some. Were you looking for the D and IF because you were thinking that that was part of the 000? If that was why, would you be amenable to going down a bit in color/clarity as long as it is white and eyeclean? You could easily go down to an F in color (if you feel strongly about it being colorless, lower if it is not important to you mentally and you are happy with a white stone). The smaller the stone, it is actually easier to go down in color as the color gets more apparent as the stone gets larger. How important is the IF clarity to you? You can go MUCH further down on clarity and still have a stone you cannot see any visible inclusions on with the naked eye. If you go down in size or clarity or both you could get a larger stone if that interests you. If you prefer the 0.5 to 0.75 range, then you can go down in size/clarity and not up in size and just save money for the honeymoon!

pepperdine05

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your feedack gypsy and ideal Rock.

"You did not have an AGS 000 stone, but I think that was because you were thinking that the color/clarity was part of the 000 designation"
Would be correct to saythat in 1999 with the old AGS grading system I had a AGS000 since the porportion, symmetry, and finish are all ideal in the DQD. However, since the AGS has changed in the grading system I no longer have an ideal diamond with the current perfomance DQD.

If regraded would the AGS look like this Cut 2 Color 0, Clarity 0?

Is the 35.8 crown on my stone really the reason why the light perfomance and HCA just good and not excellent?

If Clarity and Color do not affect brillance, fire, and scintillation what do you recommend I do with my stone?

Can I request my jeweler to find me a diamond with the new AGS certificate?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/13/2007 1:32:33 AM
Thanks for your feedack gypsy and ideal Rock.

''You did not have an AGS 000 stone, but I think that was because you were thinking that the color/clarity was part of the 000 designation''

Would be correct to saythat in 1999 with the old AGS grading system I had a AGS000 since the porportion, symmetry, and finish are all ideal in the DQD. However, since the AGS has changed in the grading system I no longer have an ideal diamond with the current perfomance DQD.

If regraded would the AGS look like this Cut 2 Color 0, Clarity 0?

Is the 35.8 crown on my stone really the reason why the light perfomance and HCA just good and not excellent?

If Clarity and Color do not affect brillance, fire, and scintillation what do you recommend I do with my stone?

Can I request my jeweler to find me a diamond with the new AGS certificate?

No clarity and color will not give you the 0''s ... please click on the link to the stones I provided you. they all have current AGS certificates and if you click on the link to the actual certificate you will see how the new ones are.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results