shape
carat
color
clarity

Registered mail issues again

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess I just want some reassurance. I know it takes a while. I know it is rarely lost or stolen. Sigh.

I’m receiving a package bought from someone here in pre loved.

It started 3 states away on February 28. It went to Memphis and then New Orleans on March 6 and then all tracking disappears. I’ve called the local post office. He can’t figure out what happened, and from what he said, his information also ends in New Orleans.

I just thought of something... many people in New Orleans take off the week of Mardi Gras, and that was last week. I have googled and apparently most offices only have 1 or 2 people who can sign for registered mail, so if they are off... the package sits until they can sign for it. So it arrived on Ash Wednesday in New Orleans, the next day. Huuuummmm, maybe it will start moving again now.

And as an aside, here is a heads up:
I also sold a ring and sent to someone in Canada. I started off trying registered wifh usps, but they said new rules say you can only get insurance for a max of $600 with international registered mail and you lose the tracking once it leaves the states.

So I took a chance with Fed Ex and was only able to insure it for $500. It made it there perfectly fine.

Waiting, waiting, waiting.... :wall:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh I'm sorry @whitewave, it seems registered mail or just the USPS is not as reliable and quick as in past decades. Let me reassure you it will most likely find its way to you despite the delay. So far every single USPS package has for me but yes a great many are delayed. 2 day postal service is more like 2 weeks around here at least (NYC). Sending you lots of postal delivery dust!

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My dad had an item delivered via registered mail and it took 3 weeks to get from NY to NC. I was a bit concerned for him because items I had sent cross-country never took more than 5 business days. But it arrived plain as day, so all was well! Sending dust in hopes that your package arrives soon!!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It will arrive and their tracking leaves a lot to be desired. I understand your frustration but would be very surprised if it didn't arrive in due time.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Whitewave, not only do I feel your pain I am currently experiencing it myself!
I sent a watch, Registered, Insured for full value on March 2nd. It is going from the NYC area to Maryland.
It finally arrived at the Washington, DC post office on March 6th, today is the 11th and no movement at all. With Registered mail you cannot put a claim in until 15 days after shipment. I have used Registered mail many many time, this has to be the worst experience I have ever had. I have it insured, with all documentation, bill of sale, etc, so I am not worried about collecting but it is very aggravating.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, everyone. I also had read when you do a tracking, it miraculously shows up, which is what happened.

I have them now❤️!! In the ultrasonic getting a bath. (They were clean, but you know how it is when you have a magnasonic)...

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, everyone. I also had read when you do a tracking, it miraculously shows up, which is what happened.

I have them now❤️!! In the ultrasonic getting a bath. (They were clean, but you know how it is when you have a magnasonic)...

Congratulations!

457492dro0rb016c.gif

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:lol::lol::lol:

805BFC12-E3FF-4D06-AA48-2A0DDEABF182.jpeg

No ear shots right now.

These are IDJ “pricescope quality” 1.8 carat F/G in and out hoops!!!! Exactly what was next on my list and since I sold my rose cut cluster ring, they were basically a lateral move.

HOOPilicious!:love:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:lol::lol::lol:

805BFC12-E3FF-4D06-AA48-2A0DDEABF182.jpeg

No ear shots right now.

These are IDJ “pricescope quality” 1.8 carat F/G in and out hoops!!!! Exactly what was next on my list and since I sold my rose cut cluster ring, they were basically a lateral move.

@whitewave, they are gorgeous! :love:

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Nice looking earrings Whitewave! I know you will enjoy them.

Your postage scare reminds me of a scare for one of my clients about 30 years ago...

I had a client contact me from somewhere near Seattle wanting something special in a sapphire. I sent her a package with two nice sapphires on approval. She told me which one she wanted and that she would have her husband send them back. (This was before FedEx was a big deal in the jewelry industry.)

They never showed up and I forgot about them for a couple of months. Then I get a phone call, where is my refund for the one I did not keep?

"I never got the stones back, how did your husband send them?"

"He sent them in the mail. "

"Insured or registered?"

The answer came a couple of days later, "He says he just took them to the post office and payed for postage, no insurance."

We waited a couple more weeks and I called her to tell her they still had not been received, but that I felt bad about her loss, so I returned all of the profit on the sale to her.

Two and a half years later, they arrived. With a postmark dated the original day her husband said he shipped the package and another dated three days before I received them from Baltimore. The stones were coming from Seattle to Boise, no earthly reason for them to have gone to Baltimore.

I went to the post office and asked, "Hey! What the heck?!?!" Well actually I was nicer than that, but that is how I felt.

I was told, "Oh, when we get a bag of mail in, we dump it on the sorting bench, then we toss the bag in the corner until we need it again. It the bag was not totally empty, and we were busy that day, it is possible that other bags got thrown on top of it, and when it finally was used again, the trapped box goes to the new location and so long as it is not trapped again, it is postmarked and directed to the final location."

I went back to the office and contacted my client, who was pleased. I sent her the stones.

Sigh, is it any wonder I only use FedEx for shipping things of value?

Wink

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice looking earrings Whitewave! I know you will enjoy them.

Your postage scare reminds me of a scare for one of my clients about 30 years ago...

I had a client contact me from somewhere near Seattle wanting something special in a sapphire. I sent her a package with two nice sapphires on approval. She told me which one she wanted and that she would have her husband send them back. (This was before FedEx was a big deal in the jewelry industry.)

They never showed up and I forgot about them for a couple of months. Then I get a phone call, where is my refund for the one I did not keep?

"I never got the stones back, how did your husband send them?"

"He sent them in the mail. "

"Insured or registered?"

The answer came a couple of days later, "He says he just took them to the post office and payed for postage, no insurance."

We waited a couple more weeks and I called her to tell her they still had not been received, but that I felt bad about her loss, so I returned all of the profit on the sale to her.

Two and a half years later, they arrived. With a postmark dated the original day her husband said he shipped the package and another dated three days before I received them from Baltimore. The stones were coming from Seattle to Boise, no earthly reason for them to have gone to Baltimore.

I went to the post office and asked, "Hey! What the heck?!?!" Well actually I was nicer than that, but that is how I felt.

I was told, "Oh, when we get a bag of mail in, we dump it on the sorting bench, then we toss the bag in the corner until we need it again. It the bag was not totally empty, and we were busy that day, it is possible that other bags got thrown on top of it, and when it finally was used again, the trapped box goes to the new location and so long as it is not trapped again, it is postmarked and directed to the final location."

I went back to the office and contacted my client, who was pleased. I sent her the stones.

Sigh, is it any wonder I only use FedEx for shipping things of value?

Wink

o_Oo_O Wow. That’s crazy!!!!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mardi Gras.....ahhhhhh, some fun memories. :whistle: :whistle:

Glad your package arrived safely. With all the guardianship BS in my life lately, the post lady knows us by name. Taking 2-3 weeks is normal for registered mail, which is almost criminal considering a standard letter costs about $8 to mail.

I have to play by court rules on that stuff but on personal transactions I avoid standard USPS like the plague. Prefer FedEx but will do UPS. If hog tied or shipping military, USPS priority services are okay. Many people dont realize that GROUND services typically arrive in 1-3 days, depending on the originating and final destinations and isn't overly expensive. Plus tracking, insurance options, etc.

For a little while me and FedEx guy was buddies. I was stripping and shipping old high performance parts off my race car (followed by new upgrades). Pushed about $10k of parts through him, lol. The best was an exhaust system, lol. Also shipped wheels and tires. Those days he hated me.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mardi Gras.....ahhhhhh, some fun memories. :whistle: :whistle:

Glad your package arrived safely. With all the guardianship BS in my life lately, the post lady knows us by name. Taking 2-3 weeks is normal for registered mail, which is almost criminal considering a standard letter costs about $8 to mail.

I have to play by court rules on that stuff but on personal transactions I avoid standard USPS like the plague. Prefer FedEx but will do UPS. If hog tied or shipping military, USPS priority services are okay. Many people dont realize that GROUND services typically arrive in 1-3 days, depending on the originating and final destinations and isn't overly expensive. Plus tracking, insurance options, etc.

For a little while me and FedEx guy was buddies. I was stripping and shipping old high performance parts off my race car (followed by new upgrades). Pushed about $10k of parts through him, lol. The best was an exhaust system, lol. Also shipped wheels and tires. Those days he hated me.

Lol about the car parts

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Small threadjack but will DK send a FedEx label to send him pieces? This has me really nervous about sending stuff even though I haven't ever had a problem.

LOVE the hoops!

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So glad your package showed up! Your earrings are gorgeous!! Please do come back with ear shots (or more finger shots :lol:)

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Small threadjack but will DK send a FedEx label to send him pieces? This has me really nervous about sending stuff even though I haven't ever had a problem.

LOVE the hoops!

I can’t remember if he did or didn’t. He did say fed ex does insure jewelry, but they only do up to $500 (my local place).

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So glad your package showed up! Your earrings are gorgeous!! Please do come back with ear shots (or more finger shots :lol:)

I will. Got a foster dog today until Friday and 3 bully dogs are a lot of work!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium

LOVE the hoops!

Yes, he will! He did for my mint tourmaline.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, he will! He did for my mint tourmaline.

Also confirming DK will send a label with insurance, etc. Just talk with Amy beforehand and let her know the proper $ amount.

Recently had to do this for a prong repair.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results