shape
carat
color
clarity

Regarding lab reports & image of gems

Bonsai

Shiny_Rock
I know some lab reports like GIA, for example, have a disclaimer by the image on the cert that says the image shown of the gem is an "approximate". I noticed on 1 gem I have there may be a "window" on the side that seems to match the representation presented on the GIA certificate. So it got me wondering are the windows shown on the gem reports reflective of the actual gem?
For example in this report here you see 2 windows at the top correct: Will the gem reflect this? Or is the drawing in that regard just arbitrary?
Thx

Attachments

• IMG_6806-1.jpg
    IMG_6806-1.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

voce

Ideal_Rock
The image in a lab report is what the gem will look like in a certain lighting environment and lighting angle. For silky stones, I would say that the gemstone will look better in person than the lab report images, as silk can help to diminish the visual effect of both windows and extinction. Otherwise, I would expect the stone to look like the lab report image at least some of the time. I think if there is a window, there is a window. I would not rely on lab report images to capture the precise color you would see in real life, but if you see a window, then that's real.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know some lab reports like GIA, for example, have a disclaimer by the image on the cert that says the image shown of the gem is an "approximate". I noticed on 1 gem I have there may be a "window" on the side that seems to match the representation presented on the GIA certificate. So it got me wondering are the windows shown on the gem reports reflective of the actual gem? For example in this report here you see 2 windows at the top correct. Will the gem reflect this? Or is the drawing in that regard just arbitrary?
Thx
Think those 2 white triangles showing up in the posted, lab report photo are due to lighting glare reflecting off 2 facets -- not windows. See, e.g., facet glare in the pics of the multi-million pink diamond that's the topic of this thread today:
and in many vendors' photographs.

That said, I don't know that I personally would find that sapphire very appealing in real life: the color seems to be concentrated in a "border" around the outer edge, while the rest of the face-up stone looks much more washed out and not "lively," Perhaps because it's a bit of a pancake stone? At just 2.63 mm, its depth is, I think, shallower than is typical of a well cut oval sapphire whose face-up measurements are 7.44 mm x 6.08 mm.

But the lab report photo, as displayed on my screen, is not a high quality pic, so it may not be doing justice to that pad.

P.S. Don't panic about seeing a"tilt window" in colored gems as I did after receiving, many years ago, my first, pricey-for-me tourmaline... until the goldsmith I'd asked to make a ring for it put my mind at ease.. ;)) AJS Gems has a brief, but informative, post about this on their website:

Bonsai

Shiny_Rock
Think those 2 white triangles showing up in the posted, lab report photo are due to lighting glare reflecting off 2 facets -- not windows. See, e.g., facet glare in the pics of the multi-million pink diamond that's the topic of this thread today:
and in many vendors' photographs.

That said, I don't know that I personally would find that sapphire very appealing in real life: the color seems to be concentrated in a "border" around the outer edge, while the rest of the face-up stone looks much more washed out and not "lively," Perhaps because it's a bit of a pancake stone? At just 2.63 mm, its depth is, I think, shallower than is typical of a well cut oval sapphire whose face-up measurements are 7.44 mm x 6.08 mm.

But the lab report photo, as displayed on my screen, is not a high quality pic, so it may not be doing justice to that pad.

P.S. Don't panic about seeing a"tilt window" in colored gems as I did after receiving, many years ago, my first, pricey-for-me tourmaline... until the goldsmith I'd asked to make a ring for it put my mind at ease.. ;)) AJS Gems has a brief, but informative, post about this on their website:

Thank you that’s so helpful!
here’s the stone from that report
Looks ok but I’ll know when it arrives tomorrow
Here’s it in different lighting

I have some other Gia reports that showed this type of thing so I thought I’d ask

Attachments

• 7C1F2FB3-0F2E-4F3D-8619-034DA2A4B337.jpeg
    7C1F2FB3-0F2E-4F3D-8619-034DA2A4B337.jpeg
    158.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 90DA833F-3CE9-448F-9320-14BA6AEE57B5.jpeg
    90DA833F-3CE9-448F-9320-14BA6AEE57B5.jpeg
    142.4 KB · Views: 34
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results