shape
carat
color
clarity

Reflective ''blue'' grainline

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can see with a loupe and good natural light reflective graining in a diamond I own. It is all clear except one line at the foot of the other lines which is a beautiful blue colour. The graining is near to an inclusion. Does anyone know why one line of it would appear blue? I read coloured graining is only in coloured stone. As this is a white diamond is it something else I am seeing? Can only see the graining in one area of the stone the lines do not cross whole facets or the whole side of the stone.

By the way it is definitely not fracture filling, I have seen photos of this before, this line is a type of graining and is very straight.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does reflective graining show in different colours in a clear diamond?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anyone know? I have just checked the GIA dictionary on-line but still cannot find anything about blue graining. Could it be fluorescence or would that affect more than one line of grain?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have the Gary Roskin book on diamond grading and it is not like the fracture fill pictures. It is internal graining the same width as the graining next to it. It was bought from a national chain store in the UK and they have said before that they only deal in natural diamonds. Their stones do have some inclusions but no fracture filling.

I believe it is graining I just wondered why the other lines are sort of hazy or clear but this one is light blue like the colour of the sky.

Edited:

I have looked at it again, just now, and it is not so much blue as it is white with a blue shine, I think it is the same blue shine you get of the facets of the diamond. Is that called adamantine luster or maybe I have a fluorescent stone? The other lines are also white but do not shine the same maybe because of the angle the stone is cut at with this one being parallel to the side.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anymore thoughts?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Refreshing thread. ??

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
When the grain is accompanied with strain it can produce an irridescence but this is very difficult to see with just a loupe. The pic I took in the other thread was taken under a polarizing filter.

Peace,
Rhino

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
See if you can find The MicroWorld of Diamonds by John I. Koivula. There are some very good pictures of what you might be seeing. It sounds very much like fracture filling but I can't see what you are seeing.
Yes, Rhino, it could be strain but you should see more than one color if it is.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just get your local jewellery repairer to heat the stone to dull red and see if the inclusions get bigger and glass oozes out of the cracks Pyramid
1.gif

BTW you should have surface reaching inclusions or laser drills if it is FF.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No there are no surface reaching inclusions or laser drill holes. There is a grain line further up the stone though. I think it is just white but maybe reflecting blue from the sky outside. It is only about 2mm long approximate looking at it with the loupe. It is a very pale blue not like the blue shown in Gary Roskins book. Anyway there is no surface inclusions. I am just a consumer as you know but I am starting to wonder if it is fluorescence as I am looking at it at the window. The rest of the facets all have like a blue shine to them when light is reflected on the facets of the stone is that normal or is that fluorescence?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results