Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Reflections From My Ring

maria121

Rough_Rock
Joined
Sep 29, 2010
Messages
89
As you all know, I just received my e-ring but I have a concern. I was driving one day and noticed that when my ring is under the sun, the little reflections (from the tiny stones in the micropave setting) that I see on the ceiling of my car look like dots of rainbows. I read in some sites that real diamonds reflects shades of gray and that simulated or fake diamonds reflects a rainbow of colors. It may also be a poor cutting of the diamond as well. I'm a bit puzzled as we got the ring at Harry Winston and I do not think they would do one or the other. Can someone be kind enough to explain this to me? Thanks in advance!
 

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Nov 12, 2007
Messages
2,567
Are you asking if the melee diamonds (tiny accent diamonds) are fake? I doubt it if it's Harry Winston. If you need peace of mind, get it independently appraised--that's the only way to know for sure. All these little 'is it real' tests aren't worth a hill of beans compared to a trained appraiser's opinion.

ETA: I have two rings with smaller diamonds and they give out rainbows of color depending on the lighting. I love looking at my rings in low lighting because they kick out so many colors. :love:
 

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 21, 2011
Messages
2,047
my paved ring does that too so I'm sure there is nothing to be worry about ~ it's fun to look at them while I'm driving :praise:
 

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jan 3, 2005
Messages
19,132
nothing to worry about at all. enjoy your ring and the light show that comes with it!! :love:
 

maria121

Rough_Rock
Joined
Sep 29, 2010
Messages
89
I'm not implying that they are fake, but was just a concern since I've never experienced that with other pieces of jewelry. Also, a friend of mine had mentioned that to me so it got me worried. Thanks alot! :wavey:
 

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Apr 26, 2007
Messages
8,087
Diamonds, like pretty much all precious gems, are prisms, and they're going to reflect all the colors of the rainbow. Heck, I have colored gems that will do it! The myth about CZs is that you can see more colors refracting, mainly pastels: personally, I think this is something people say to sound more knowledgeable than they are. If it was as easy as that, no one would ever need a diamond tester.
 

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 14, 2009
Messages
20,748
As Circe said! Any time you can see colour coming out of a stone, that same stone can throw coloured streaks and dots on another surface - the only difference is whether the "viewer" of those coloured flashes is your eye or your wallpaper 8)
 

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Apr 4, 2010
Messages
9,667
yes, everything the previous posters have said. nothing to worry about...well cut diamonds will exhibit fire like you are talking about. did it look something like this?

wallsparkles.jpg
 

maria121

Rough_Rock
Joined
Sep 29, 2010
Messages
89
Yes, it does look exactly like that! I personally thought is was beautiful seeing all those dots of rainbows. :love: Thanks everyone with helping me relieve my worries!
 

CherryBlossom

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Jan 20, 2011
Messages
311
nothing to worry about, all diamonds I've had or see do that depending on what they are reflecting. BUT w/ that said you should get your diamond independently appraised and insured just to be safe.
 

maria121

Rough_Rock
Joined
Sep 29, 2010
Messages
89
I finally got a photo of the reflections from my ring. This is what I was referring to earlier. :wink2:

Reflections.jpg
 

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Jul 21, 2004
Messages
8,788
What you are seeing here is a little spectrum of the stone. 'White' light is made up of lots of colors of lights and when you shine it through a prism, which is what a cut diamond is, it separates the beam into it's constituent parts. Remember that from Jr. High science class? Betcha you never thought you'ld see that again in real life did you?

Each individual facet on the stone is smaller than the iris of your eye so your eye merges them back together again and you don't notice it until you move the stone/head/light source and the light path moves onto a different facet. The shift is what makes it noticable. It's a slightly complicated bit of optics and it's know as 'fire' in the diamond world. Interestingly, ALL gemstones do this to one extent or another and the exact details of each of those little spectrums is one of the best ways to identify certain gemstones.
 

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jun 25, 2010
Messages
11,025
My ring does that too in the right lighting. I don't thinknits anything to worry about. :cheeky:
 

maria121

Rough_Rock
Joined
Sep 29, 2010
Messages
89
denverappraiser|1306000502|2927317 said:
What you are seeing here is a little spectrum of the stone. 'White' light is made up of lots of colors of lights and when you shine it through a prism, which is what a cut diamond is, it separates the beam into it's constituent parts. Remember that from Jr. High science class? Betcha you never thought you'ld see that again in real life did you?

Each individual facet on the stone is smaller than the iris of your eye so your eye merges them back together again and you don't notice it until you move the stone/head/light source and the light path moves onto a different facet. The shift is what makes it noticable. It's a slightly complicated bit of optics and it's know as 'fire' in the diamond world. Interestingly, ALL gemstones do this to one extent or another and the exact details of each of those little spectrums is one of the best ways to identify certain gemstones.
Wow, thanks for the detailed explanation. I don't recall a single thing I learned in high school. Haha... :tongue: That shows how bad of a student I was. There's so much to learn about diamonds and gems that it's become a fascination to read about them. Thanks again! :wavey:
 

maria121

Rough_Rock
Joined
Sep 29, 2010
Messages
89
Amys Bling|1306000660|2927320 said:
My ring does that too in the right lighting. I don't thinknits anything to worry about. :cheeky:
Thank you! :wavey: I was just side tracked by some friend's comment, which I should have disregarded at first.
 

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Nov 27, 2007
Messages
2,975
maria121|1306004972|2927357 said:
Amys Bling|1306000660|2927320 said:
My ring does that too in the right lighting. I don't thinknits anything to worry about. :cheeky:
Thank you! :wavey: I was just side tracked by some friend's comment, which I should have disregarded at first.
I think she had been given exaggerated information, really. The thing is, both moissanite and CZs have more "fire" (those little rainbows) than a diamond does. Personally, I can see it in a moissanite- since moissanite is something like 2X as dispersive as a diamond if I'm remembering right!- but not in CZ because it's not that different than a diamond.

But- a diamond is a very, very dispersive/fiery gemstone. So yes- you'll see lots of rainbow flashes, whether on your wall or directly in your eye- from it under the right, direct lighting.
 

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Feb 27, 2007
Messages
23,949
Yes you will see those little rainbows of light and I personally enjoy them tremendously. Have fun but try to keep your eye on the road. :bigsmile:
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Celebratory Engagement Ring Upgrade And Bracelet
    Celebratory Engagement Ring Upgrade And Bracelet
    Chiguys's Cushion Cut Engagement Ring
    Chiguys's Cushion Cut Engagement Ring
    Archduchess Eleonore von Habsburg and Jérôme d’Ambrosio Royal Wedding
    Archduchess Eleonore von Habsburg and Jérôme d’Ambrosio Royal Wedding

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top