shape
carat
color
clarity

Referrals for online wholesale jewelers

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

foxbase

Rough_Rock
I've decided to search for buying stones online since I can save on exorbitant California sales taxes. Does anyone have referrals for good online jewelers outside California? I'm looking for something in the 1.4-1.6 carat, E-G color, VVS2 - VS2 range, and I'm looking to spend around $11,000 (this was a rough guess based on looking up pricescope.com's price finder, if I'm way off in either direction please let me know). Having a stone with a good cut is also important, but I haven't figured out what to look for regarding cut (H&A? AGS 0?) so I didn't mention anything?

Also, anything I should know about buying from an online jeweler? Some preliminary questions I had were: do they offer a refund if my fiancee doesn't like it? what happens if it gets lost during shipping? how can I guarantee I'm getting the stones as advertised rather than a bait and switch?

Thanks,

foxbase

msmithmomx2

Rough_Rock
1. Go to goodoldgold.com and tutorial on this site and then read, read, read....

2. Find a reputable online dealer. There are several here, just do a search here and on other forums. Personally, I used diamondbrokersoffl.com. Jan and Brad are awesome, the prices are great, and they will give you a lot of detail on the stones they have for sale. Though I have never used goodoldgold, they have an awesome reputation as well as a cool site to learn about diamonds.

3. Most dealers insure their shipments so the only worry is picking out a new stone if it does get lost.

4. Many dealers will send the diamond to a third part appraiser who will then send it to you once you pay for it. The cost of the appraisal will vary but they can verify that the diamond is what it is stated to be. There are many reputable appraisers mentioned here. Again..do a search. Also, buy a stone that has the cert number on it, then if you have the ring worked on, make the jeweler show you the cert# on the stone when you pick it up.

5. As far as whether or not she will like it...one consideration is to pick out the diamond and have it set in a very simple solitaire setting and then allow her to pick the setting after she says yes!

6. The longest return policy that I have seen on some sites is 30 days. Be sure to check out the return policy and the upgrade policy before buying. Also check out their reputation very carefully. Do a search for diamond forums and then read the customer testimonials on each one.

I hope this helps!!!!!!!

DiamondShopr

Rough_Rock
I am doing the same thing as you! Try my two favorite, mondera.com and bluenile.com (awesome search engine)...do a search on blue nile where you can pic your specs and it narrows down the diamonds available in all categories......they both get high grades for being trustworthy and buying online that seems to be right up there with price for me.....

here are 2 reference sites:

http://www.diamondhelpers.com/fivesteps/diamond-price-form.shtml

http://www.bridaltips.com/diamond.htm

hope this helps
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results