shape
carat
color
clarity

Reena''s Ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

r8dg

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

Im in the process of custom making a setting for my fiance''s e-ring. I was browsing the forums, and came across Reena''s ring and was wondering, does anybody know what size the melee diamonds are in her ring? are they 1 pointers or 1 1/2 pointers or bigger/smaller? My jeweler is telling me 1/2 pointers will look simple and elegant like I want, but I just feel like thats too small...what do you guys/gals think? Im so confused and need to make a decision VERY soon...any advice???
33.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
what size is the center stone?

I personally agree with your jewelers that the 1/2 pointers probably would look best.

r8dg

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/23/2009 9:14:00 AM
Author: mrssalvo

I personally agree with your jewelers that the 1/2 pointers probably would look best.

The center is 1.7ct cushion. So you dont think 1/2 pointers would be too small?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/23/2009 9:45:44 AM
Author: r8dg

no, In my opinion you want the halo to accent the stone. you can search 1 point halo's for pictures of rings using one point stone.
here is a picture of gypsy's ring that has a total of .14 ct single cut melee, so if my math is correct that would make the stones just a little over half pointers.

Layla%20Halo%20top2.JPG

r8dg

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/23/2009 10:04:10 AM
Date: 4/23/2009 9:45:44 AM

Author: r8dg

no, In my opinion you want the halo to accent the stone. you can search 1 point halo''s for pictures of rings using one point stone.

here is a picture of gypsy''s ring that has a total of .14 ct single cut melee, so if my math is correct that would make the stones just a little over half pointers.

Layla%20Halo%20top2.JPG

Thanks mrssalvo! I guess its the metal work that I need to reduce in order to make the 1/2 pointers stand out more. Which setting style is best for that? Im guessing bead set? Also I was thinking maybe doing .007 or .008 melees instead of 1/2 pointers, which I guess would be like the pic you attached

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s a link sort of to a thread on Gypsy''s ring -- the stats are on page 2:

https://www.pricescope.com/forum/show-me-the-ring/drumroll-please-my-setting-t72011-30.html

Unfortunately you''ll need to cut and past since I haven''t figured out yet how to post a link.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

r8dg

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the link! Ive also been looking at a few other threads with similar topics. Heres what I think Im going to do...keep the halo at 1.3mm max length and see if they can use .007 diamonds in there instead of the 1/2 pointers. I think that will be a good compromise. I will ask them to use bead set to make sure there isnt a lot of metal showing.

Couple of more questions:

What do you guys think about milgrains on the halo? He said they wont be very noticeble but will look nice.
Also would a 1.3mm shank be too small?

Thanks!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I think milgrain is great if you are going for a more vintage/antique look - totally depends on your style. I''d lean towards doing it though.

I think 1.3 mm is very slim for the band. If your intended recipient is at all tough on her jewelry, I''d consider going a tiny bit wider for durability, maybe 1.7mm? If not, then I think the 1.3 mm is lovely
1.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
are their diamonds in the band? If so, 1.3 is def. too thin IMO. Personally, i'd want it to be around 2mm but I don't like super teeny tiny bands. I think Leon mege makes his bands with diamonds just shy of 2mm, like 1.9 and the Ritani pave bands are 1.8-1.9. I wouldn't go that thin. You need some metal to hold those stones in. You don't want stones popping out which they will probably do from time to time with any pave setting.

r8dg

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/23/2009 2:43:56 PM
Author: AmberGretchen
I think milgrain is great if you are going for a more vintage/antique look - totally depends on your style. I''d lean towards doing it though.

I think 1.3 mm is very slim for the band. If your intended recipient is at all tough on her jewelry, I''d consider going a tiny bit wider for durability, maybe 1.7mm? If not, then I think the 1.3 mm is lovely
1.gif

My finace wants that vintage look, so I guess the milgrain will be good. I just dont want it too noticeable I guess, thats what my fear is.

I want the melees in the band to match the ones in the halo thats why Im going to make it 1.3mm. Not sure if that will be an issue though. She is a hairstylist so she uses her hands ALOT.

Thanks for the input!

r8dg

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/23/2009 2:47:29 PM
are their diamonds in the band? If so, 1.3 is def. too thing. Personally, i''d want it to be around 2mm but I don''t like super teeny tiny bands. I think Leon mege makes his bands with diamonds just shy of 2mm, like 1.9 and the Ritani pave bands are 1.8-1.9. I wouldn''t go that thin. You need some metal to hold those stones in. You don''t want stones popping out which they will probably do from time to time with any pave setting.

My fear is that 2mm would be too thick and not match the halo. I dont want the band super tiny but I dont want the halo to be too big either...im so confused...

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
1/2 point melee will be very nice, if you get bigger than that the halo really gets to chunky looking. Halos already add a great deal of size to the ring and it starts to look a little gawdy if you get a halo that is too big and not delicate.

r8dg

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/23/2009 4:23:34 PM
Author: kcoursolle
1/2 point melee will be very nice, if you get bigger than that the halo really gets to chunky looking. Halos already add a great deal of size to the ring and it starts to look a little gawdy if you get a halo that is too big and not delicate.

Thanks kc, i agree and thats what im afraid to do is make it too big. But at the same time Im afraid to make it too small and then it wont be noticeble.

I think I came to a conclusion. I looked at the promise ring I got her and its a 1mm band and halo...so 1.5mm will be just right since she told me she only wants it slightly bigger than that ring. I told them to fit 1.1mm (.007) melees in the 1.5mm band and halo. So hopefully that should make it look the way I want it.

cara

Ideal_Rock
My only concern is the width of the band - 1.5 mm is still pretty thin. Does the jeweler recommend this thickness or are you pressuring him/her to go this thin? One can compensate somewhat by making the band taller off the finger such that the ring is sturdy, but if you want a lovely ring to stand up to the daily wear and tear of a hair dresser you should make sure it has enough metal to be structurally sound. The band CAN be wider than the halo and it will still look consistent - I am pretty sure that Leon does this and that he regularly makes bands that are 1.8-2.0 mm that appear darn dainty and delicate.

As for the halo and the melee size, I am all for the delicate look but don't care for it when halos or pave in general are mostly metal. With 1/2 pt melee, some jewelers are still able to pull it off while others end up showing too much metal for my taste. Gypsy's and Reena's halos show some exquisite workmanship but there are lesser jewelers out there. The best way to evaluate is to look at other pave work done by this jeweler and see if you like the look of their pave with the same size melee you are select. If you don't like it, then choose a different jeweler or a different melee size to get something you are happy with. Of course if the melee in a halo get too big it can change the look and get disproportionate or clunky. If your jewelers don't have any examples or pictures of their work with 1/2 ct melee then I would be wary.

(And as a caveat, I would be wary of magnified pictures as well. For example, I thought I loved the look of the Ritani Endless love pave bands from pictures, but on my hand in real life I didn't care for it. The diamonds in the band were too small for my taste - I like melee to be a bit bigger to create a more substantial sparkle. And the super thin band was tall to compensate for the narrow width, which it turns out I found a bit uncomfortable and scratchy. But some people love this ring and this look so don't take my findings as gospel.)

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
cara is absolutely right. Please to double check the quality of the work of the jeweler. there are vendors on this forum that won''t even make a ring band that is less than 2mm. 2mm is still teeny tiny. here''s a picture of a daniel k ring. the band was a little over 2mm and the halo was under. I don''t think it looks awkward or off at all. the center is 1.67 for reference..

DKupgrade1.jpg

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/23/2009 8:58:06 AM
Author:r8dg
Hi everyone,

Im in the process of custom making a setting for my fiance''s e-ring. I was browsing the forums, and came across Reena''s ring and was wondering, does anybody know what size the melee diamonds are in her ring? are they 1 pointers or 1 1/2 pointers or bigger/smaller? My jeweler is telling me 1/2 pointers will look simple and elegant like I want, but I just feel like thats too small...what do you guys/gals think? Im so confused and need to make a decision VERY soon...any advice???
33.gif
Here''s Reens''s ring, always loved her ring.

ReenaLMring.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
great picture bebe...and reena''s ring halo is def. a little thinner than her e-ring shank...

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Reena''s collage for reference

ReenaCollage.jpg

r8dg

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for all the pics and for the advice/input! :)

I talked with the jeweler (who btw is over at WF so I do trust their work) and he said the halo will be about 1.3-1.5mm thick and the band will have to be 2.8-3mm thick. He said their is too much weight for him to go any thinner (1.71ct stone and about 100 stones totaling 0.70ct).

That seems like the halo and shank wont match at all...or will it be too small of a difference to notice? Also the halo will be angled down slightly which will make it appear smaller, so I feel like it will look even more of a difference. I attached a small picture to scale of what the sizes will look like.

Also, what size diamonds should he use in the shank? The same as the ones in the halo?

Ring Dimensions r8dg.JPG

r8dg

Rough_Rock
I should also mention that I really hate too much metal showing, so if they''re doing 2.8-3mm on the shank, should they use say 1 pointers or bigger? And will that match the halo diamonds?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
r8dg, have you thought about contacting Leon Mege for a quote to just make a ring like reena''s or with some other design change you might want? He has a skill and eye for creating beautiful jewelry. It''s not that I don''t think WF can do a great job but I''m worried you are not going to be entirely happy with the final product b/c of the tiny details you are concerned about and that you may end up disappointed. there is nothing wrong with being picky and concerned about those details I am probably one of the most picky pricescoper''s here which is why I am not a good candidate for custom. I do much better when I can try on and see exactly how a ring will look when it''s completed. anyway, many times Leon''s quotes and Wf''s quotes have not been that far off and Leon has even come in costing less. his pieces are handmade too which is a plus in my book, especially with a pave setting.

also, have you looked at Ritani settings at all? they will do some minor customizations too and their rings are THIN. And they have a reputation of being very well made and can handle every day wear. Many pave settings don''t fair as well to normal wear and tear.

RE the suggestions of the WF jeweler, you have to defer to them and their recommendations if they are making the ring. I personally would do slightly larger diamonds in the shank than the halo.

r8dg

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/24/2009 12:20:17 PM
r8dg, have you thought about contacting Leon Mege for a quote to just make a ring like reena''s or with some other design change you might want? He has a skill and eye for creating beautiful jewelry. It''s not that I don''t think WF can do a great job but I''m worried you are not going to be entirely happy with the final product b/c of the tiny details you are concerned about and that you may end up disappointed. there is nothing wrong with being picky and concerned about those details I am probably one of the most picky pricescoper''s here which is why I am not a good candidate for custom. I do much better when I can try on and see exactly how a ring will look when it''s completed. anyway, many times Leon''s quotes and Wf''s quotes have not been that far off and Leon has even come in costing less. his pieces are handmade too which is a plus in my book, especially with a pave setting.

also, have you looked at Ritani settings at all? they will do some minor customizations too and their rings are THIN. And they have a reputation of being very well made and can handle every day wear. Many pave settings don''t fair as well to normal wear and tear.

RE the suggestions of the WF jeweler, you have to defer to them and their recommendations if they are making the ring. I personally would do slightly larger diamonds in the shank than the halo.

Im kind of on a tight deadline right now and I have already sent the diamond in to WF and they should be starting the work today, so I dont think I can send it to Leon. Im very picky too just like you, and even more because this is my fiance''s dream ring and I want to make it perfect.

I looked at the ritani settings, but there are some specifics she wants on the side view too so the ring has to be custom. I cant find anything like it anywhere.

Do you think 0.015 melees in the shank will look ok against 0.007 meless in the halo? Im going to call them today and discuss that with them. The only problem is I dont have time to make major changes to the CAD once its done because there wont be enough time to make the ring if I do.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the ratio of the .015 in the shank and .07''s in the halo will be fine. let me see if I can find a picture of a ring WF did for another gal who used reena''s ring as her example. maybe that will help you...

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also don't think you should "rush" a ring that she will wear forever. Have you thought about just setting the stone into a simple solitaire for the proposal and then taking your time on the setting? just throwing out another option..

okay, here you go..it was actually Lovey's ring that was used as the inspiration but you can get the idea.
1) shank is slightly larger than halo
2) halo slightly slants

hsdzlnd3.jpg

svdzlnd5.jpg

fsdzlnd7.jpg

svdzlnd4.jpg

r8dg

Rough_Rock
mrssalvo, once again you come to my rescue with awesome pics...thank you!! :)

Do you happen to know the specs on that ring in terms of the melee? I found lovey''s threads and searched but couldnt find anything about the sizes.

As far as rushing, I have already proposed to her with a promise ring. We are now having an engagement party next month and we exchange rings during that party (its our tradition/culture), which is sort of a mini wedding. So I need to have the ring for the party and wasted a lot of time looking for the perfect stone since they couldnt start working on the ring until after.

I am going to call them and see what they plan to do. I''ll tell them I want 1.5 pointers or maybe bigger in the shank. I like WF the most because of all the other jewelers I talked to they were the only ones that actually told me about possible design issues and discussed them with me instead of just giving me a quote and telling me it will be done in 2 weeks. So they seem concerned with how the ring will actually look and if its going to be pretty or not.

Thanks mrssalvo once again for all your help! :)

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
r8, the ring i posted belongs to dazedland: search her name and her threads will pop up..

i did find this info about her ring that might be helpful to you:

Center Stone 1.45 Carat Asscher/SE
Shank 2.2 mm 1.2 carats 94 stones
Halo top 1.6mm sides 1.1mm .37 carats 32 stones
tcw: 3.02
size: 5.75

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Mrs Salvo, how sad is it that I knew *immediately* on sight that that was Dazedland''s ring and not Lovey''s! Aaaah, old times with asscher eyecandy. :)

Dazedland''s was a WF custom, inspired by Lovey''s Leon Mege.

I think having a halo slightly thinner than the band is a GOOD thing--I prefer that look. Not a HUGE difference, but just a bit...depending on the center stone, of course.

Keep us posted!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results