shape
carat
color
clarity

Reel one in or keep on fishing? (OEC / Transitional hunt)

Which, if either, of these diamonds would you choose?

• Get the J VS2

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • The K VS1 is the winner

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keep looking - you have time and more stones are out there

Votes: 9 75.0%

• Total voters

SillyMonkee

Rough_Rock
The goal is to buy a second engagement ring to commemorate a milestone anniversary (3 years from now) / big birthday (4 years from now). Clearly, I have plenty of time for the hunt. My first ring is an F color emerald cut in a simple solitaire setting - I love it, but am looking for an OEC or transitional stone to put in an art deco-inspired setting.

The target specs are:
  • No lower than J color - I'm pretty color sensitive and used to my F
  • 9 mm spread
  • Eye clean, but not too nitpicky about it. No dark inclusions, but this is the C that bothers me the least
  • Ideally, fluorescence, just because it seems so cool (very reasoned logic here, clearly)
  • Faceting like the below stone (aka, the stuff dreams are made of... were it not N color). My eye tends to prefer a transitional over an OEC, but I don't think I can afford to make that a sticking point.
N VS1.png

Budget is $18,000, which, from my perusal of the websites of the usual suspects, seems feasible but not generous.

There's no rush to find a stone, but I've been keeping an eye open because (1) it's wholesome, expensive fun and (2) I want to be ready if the right diamond comes along. I've found two contenders of late that interest me, so I'm hoping for some expert eyes to help this long time lurker:

Diamond 1
2.79 ct, 9.00 x 9.04 mm
J VS2 (GIA graded)
No fluorescence
J VS2.png

Diamond 2
2.63 ct, 8.75 x 8.97 mm
K VS1 (GIA graded)
No fluorescence
K VS1.png

The faceting on the K seems more organized and symmetric, but how noticeable will that be in real life as opposed to macro photography? Other shots of the K suggest that its color will be apparent to my eyes, while video of the J looks white. The spread of the J clears the mental hurdle of 9 mm - but can one really discern the difference of 0.25 mm? Of course, the other option is to keep looking - I have the luxury of time but can't justify putting more money into the budget.

Thank you for your time and consideration!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a fun challenge!
Do you have other pictures of them both? I think more organised faceting usually translates to a more pleasing face up pattern rather than chaotic/uneven flashes.
Where are you looking for options?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn’t pick number 2 as it doesn’t fit at least 2 of your criteria. That’s settling. Lol.

And imho I think there is a line between j and K that I would not cross if you’re trying to stick with “always looks white”
Plus I think some of the difference in Faceting you see is the way the photos are taken.
I prefer number 1 enough to get t home and see how it performs.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer more organized faceting when all other factors are equal and to answer your question in that size I think it is noticeable with the naked eye.
Could you get videos of the above diamonds? Hard to tell anything from a static pic but I am not loving either of these from those photos. Need more info like a video to evaluate on and off and evenness of light play across the stone etc. And it would be great if you could get an ASET of any stone you are considering.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Neither stone appeals to me; basically I agree with Niel above but as to #1 in my own opinion I think the very center will look dark-ish much of the time (rather than those very center facets lighting up).

Also, if you are color-sensitive and you have an F-color stone already, are you certain you'll be okay with J? J definitely will not look "white" in the way that an F looks white, and won't be the same white as an H either ... possibly if you find a high J it may look similar to an I, and a low J may look more like a K/L. Just want to be sure you've seen in person some 2.5-3 carat J-K old cut diamonds to confirm you love the warmer color.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The first stone could be interesting but I'd want to see a video and more photos. The center could be mushy which is obviously hard to tell in the photo. The second stone seems to have two wonky facets under the table at the 11 and 1 o'clock positions and I see it in all the photos.

I'm going to throw out another option. I've had the pleasure of seeing and wearing this stone in person and it performs beautifully. In fact it's down right gorgeous. It is a K but it faces very white for a K and I suspect it is because it has such great light return. It's the kind of diamond that you can't stop sneaking peeks at, lol.

https://loupetroop.com/listings/rin...-gorgeous-k-vs-transitional-diamond-solitiare

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It seems that you have a bit of time before deciding and you know what you want. I would hold out for all the specs you listed, it seems like selling otherwise. And .25 can be pretty significant in terms of size...

SillyMonkee

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your responses! Sorry for being vague and only providing one screenshot per stone... I've been on Pricescope long enough to know that if the answer was "oh my God, snap that baby up!", I'd want to limit my competition. I've been looking at Jewels by Grace, Love Affair Diamonds, stalking Old World Diamonds but not actually contacting Adam (seems too forward for a potential years long hunt), checking LoupeTroop and Diamond Bistro to see if I get lucky, ditto on eBay and Etsy.

I had the good fortune to try a few J / K stones at the last Hillsborough Antique Show and was happy with the color. The face-up color hasn't been an issue (probably blinded by sparkle!), but body color in side shots gives me pause... since that's the angle I'm most likely to look at my ring on a day-to-day, typing life.

Seriously, talk about kismet @ac117 and @JDDN! I've been stalking LoupeTroop for months and right when I finally post on Pricescope, that beauty comes up - having a grading date on my birthday, no less?!? Thank you for sharing that with me!

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just a bit of input about color- I have an F oval ering. One of my favorite pieces of jewelry is my J Art Deco ring. I am color sensitive, and I will say that I think the J stones look very bright and “white” to me! Unless I put them up against my F, of course. So if you’ll be comparing the two and wearing them at the same time (I don’t think that’s your plan?), I will say that it might bother you. With respect to side-view tint—I’m not sure about this in my J, since it’s a period piece with an awesome decorative filigree basket setting. You can always mask the side view with a sweet setting. :D

Good luck with your hunt! Patience is one of those virtues I learn through gardening, but not through treasure hunts. :twisted2:

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lordy but LaylaR’s stone is glorious :love: @SillyMonkee I hope you look at this one

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was going to link Gypsy/Layla's stone too but the others have beat me too it. I own a fat arrowed transitional so it's a winner for me, if you or anyone else is looking for a really nice OEC/transitional, that is a great option.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results