shape
carat
color
clarity

Reed's Jeweler Garbage

Aenflex

Rough_Rock
Long-time lurker here. Same old story, knew nothing before I did my research, found PS and other valuable knowledge bases, realized too late I had bought a horrible stone, etc.
Just a warning to other folks who may be as clueless as I was - stay away from Reed's. I'm actually offended by the truly awful diamond I bought from them; offended by my own ignorance as well as their complete willingness to screw people like me. I'm sure other chain, mall-type places are the same or similar. The less you know, the better customer you are.
Suffice it to say I ended up with a 75 point garbage princess cut for my engagment ring. Terrible proportions, terrible cut, cloudy, asymmetrical pavilion, the list goes on. When I get home from holiday, I'll post a pic for your entertainment. It's so bad. I actually ogled other princess cuts after getting mine, for hours, wondering why mine didn't look at all like the rest. I'm the most laid back person I know, and yet I'm sincerely angry...never happens.
Bought a replacement loose from JA and will have it mounted soon. It's a 90 point square emerald and it's just gorgeous. I plan to post pics of it as well, with the hopes of helping anyone considering Reed's for their diamond purchase.
Thanks to PS for all the wonderful information. Sad I found it too late.
ETA- I paid about the same for the ring from Reed's and the loose diamond from JA. I recommend saving the money and just buying loose online from the get go. I'm out several thousand dollars :(

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry. At least your diamond from JA should be beautiful. Please post pics when you have it!

Aenflex

Rough_Rock
Thanks. Learning lesson. I'll post photos of both. The JA experience from start to finish was excellent.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome Aenflex. You are in good company here, as many if us have been in your shoes! This is such a wonderful community to learn from. I think a lot if us have purchased some duds before we got educated :read: Your new stone sounds beautiful! Can't wait to see it!

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Welcome to PS! :wavey: I'm truly sorry that you had a bad experience. :nono: I'm glad you had a better experience with JA. Looking forward to pics once you have your new stone set. :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So sorry, but glad you were able to get another one from JA! I take it you were past the return period on the Reed's ring? I'd rather have a credit there than a bad diamond, because they do carry very nice brands of designer jewelry and watches.

If by any chance the first diamond was not GIA graded, you might have a case to return it if an independent appraiser documents it is not the specs that were represented to you when you bought it.

Aenflex

Rough_Rock
I'm way past the return window, it's been months. It was a low end stone, the kind with averages rather than specs. The online description says it is graded by GSI, but I don't recall getting any paperwork when I purchased it. I'll have to check when I'm back home.
I can't blame them for my ignorance, but now that I've learned a bit, it upsets me that any retailer would sell such crud at inflated prices, and without offering any type of education.
I plan to throw the diamond in the safe and never look at it again ;-) But thanks for your suggestions. If we couldn't afford to replace it, I would def. be demanding an exchange or some such.
Here's the link to the stone. Looks like it's on sale now, I paid more, but still not worth the price at all.

http://www.reeds.com/Certified-Preferred-Diamond-Solitaire-Ring-3-4ct-plu18578492.html

And here's the JA stone link. Still a humble stone, some may call it a dog, but it's worlds above and beyond the Reed's stone.
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/asscher-cut/0.90-carat-j-color-si2-clarity-sku-752841

Aenflex

Rough_Rock
Pic of the Reed's diamond, cut off its shank by a jeweler.

20151212_133151.jpg

Aenflex

Rough_Rock
Pic of the JA stone mounted.

20151212_133056.jpg

Aenflex

Rough_Rock
Sorry, cell phone pics are the best I can do right now. The difference is stark. Still can't believe I paid about the same for each of these.
Newly indoctrinated believer in avoiding chains at all costs.

20151212_135447.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry to hear about your bad experience :( But side by side it's a HUGE difference, and IMHO the JA stone looks great! So glad you got something you are happy with in the end :wavey:

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
I feel your pain. When I got engaged in 2000 went to a mall store very similar to Reeds (center diamond was bought secondhand elsewhere loose). Not a lot of $ back then and didn't know "better" than to go to a mall store (lower end one at that).
I liked a setting and asked if it came in white gold. They said yes. After I purchased the ring and wore it for a couple of months, yellow gold began to wear through on the prongs and underside od rhe shank. Needless to say....every 6 months...the ring needed replating. Looked like crap and cost WAY more in the long run. Plus, I broke off numerous prongs... I'm assuming they were thin and cheep. I have never had that problem with another ring. Anyway, lesson learned.
Too bad. I also paid someone to make a custom wedding band that matched. Ended up losing a lot of money on that purchase when I traded it in.....

Anybody who reads PS would hopefully understand to avoid such places. There are very, very affordable PS recomended vendors that sell awesome quality items (ID Jewelry). Paying a smidgen more could mean everything.

Thank you for sharing. Hopefully a newbie will read this one day :) Such a mess :(

Your new diamond is beautiful. And now we are both smarter :)

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOVE your new ring! Where's the wedding band from - sooo pretty!!

Aenflex

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your replies and for sharing your story. Oh, and the compliments :)
The channel set band is actually old and was a gift, so I'm not sure where it came from. I've louped the stones and they are probably around I-J range and SI 1 or 2, best I can guess. They were whiter than the J from James Allen.
The plain band came from the actual jeweler I used to switch out stones, a locally-owned place in Fort Walton Beach.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are these the same cut?
The one on the bottom looks like a Radiant or Princess cut.
The one on the top looks like an asscher.

screen_shot_2015-12-12_at_0.png

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Wow! What a difference! :shock: I'm so glad you decided to get the JA stone! It's lovely! :appl: I really like that band too. I have a pair of hoop earrings with a similar design and I love them! Congrats on your new ring! :clap: Out of curiosity, is this a very good jeweler in FWB? :wavey:

Aenflex

Rough_Rock
Kenny, the unmounted stone is a Reed's princess. Frozen spit. The mounted stone is a square emerald I got from JA.
The pics I posted unfortunately don't show how bad the princess is. Or how much nicer the new stone is in comparison.

Rockinruby, the jeweler is good. He lacks any type of bedside manner, but he does good work and his designs are beautiful. Only found him after the Reed's fiasco. I would've bought my replacement stone from him, but JA prices were lower.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aenflex|1450024345|3960940 said:
Kenny, the unmounted stone is a Reed's princess. Frozen spit. The mounted stone is a square emerald I got from JA.

My apologies.
I see you wrote that in your post. :oops:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your new stone is beautiful. Congratulations!! It's ok. We all make mistakes and were diamond newbies at one time.

YOu're super funny!! :lol: "frozen spit" Scarily accurate.

Aenflex

Rough_Rock
Resurrected my ancient digital camera, my husband's didn't come back with him from his recent excursion... Not the best photos, but I wanted to offer a few more for comparison. I really hope to do my small part to help future purchasers understand the quality they can get online for the same dollar they'd spend at a chain.
With the Reed's stone, there is no discernible facet patterning - no X shape or chevron detail typical with princess cuts. No cert, no upgrade policy and ridiculously overpriced to boot. Plus, it's a smaller stone weight and appearance wise.
The JA SE is simply better for the same price. And they offer a lifetime upgrade policy. Remember these were about the same price, the difference was negligible.
I know many of PS folks aren't hearing anything new, so I apologize for my uber-redundancy. This is for the would-bes.

And thanks again to all here- happy holidays!

_35659.jpg

_35660.jpg

_35661.jpg

_35662.jpg

Aenflex

Rough_Rock
One more

0016.jpg

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry yours was a difficult (and costly) path, but I'm glad you ended up with a beautiful diamond ring. :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results