shape
carat
color
clarity

Redesign wedding ring

texanrisa

Rough_Rock
I don't love my wedding ring anymore. It's been almost 18 years since we've gotten married and I feel it looks outdated. I think a lot of it is the gold so part of me wonders if I made that platinum or platinum looking if I would like it better. But then I imagine having a halo around the diamond or just finding a way to completely redesign it. I love the way rings look today when you go into the store. My side diamonds are too big I feel to do the diamond all around look that is popular. Any suggestions? BTW there are 4 square smaller diamonds and 1 round smaller diamond. Thanks!

ring1.jpg ring2.jpg ring3.jpg

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think your wedding set looks beautiful on your finger! I wonder if it would be worthwhile to have both rings fully rhodium-dipped, to see if having it be all shiny white metal does the trick for you ... it would be the least expensive change to make ... after the set is dipped, wear it for a couple of weeks or months and see if it makes you happy again. Keep posting in this thread and we can help with feedback and/or suggestions.

If you decide you want to go straight to a re-set, what kind of budget would you have, and are you open to online vendors or do you have a local jeweler you'd be using? Do you want to use all the stones from your current set, or perhaps keep the princess diamonds for a pendant or bracelet and do a halo with smaller round diamonds and a matching wedding band, all in platinum or white gold?

One last suggestion, have you tried putting away your wedding set for a week, and then putting it back on? Sometimes that makes us appreciate what we thought we were tired of ...

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When you say redesign, do you mean use the same stones? Or modify the setting? For what reasons? Or are you open to a reset?

texanrisa

Rough_Rock
Yes, use the same stones. I have many thoughts on it. Whether just adding a halo or taking the top smaller diamonds and adding them to the wedding band and doing something different above. Or as mentioned, rhodium-dip and see if that's better. I haven't been wearing it much over the last year due to quarantine and started wearing it again recently. That's when I realized how much I hate the gold. And I needed an updated appraisal on it so went into the jewelers and saw how beautiful others are. They estimated $2-3k for a redesign adding 16 smaller diamonds to it which is a lot but probably the most I would want to pay. I am opened to jewelers but do like local where I have someone to talk to. Was there someone you would recommend?

Here are a couple I saw online that I like:

ringb.jpeg ringe.jpg

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like your set! But I can also see where you are coming from in wanting something that looks a bit less dated.

I like the rhodium dipping option as a start to see how you feel about all white metal. If that works & is better to your eye, I would have them redesigned. I personally would add the smaller diamonds in the engagement ring into a new wedding band with the others, and then have a sleek solitaire setting made to sit nice & flush.

You should hit the 'Report Concern' button on your thread & ask for this post to be moved to Rocky Talky. You'll get lots more design input & ideas there. This section is really for showing off finished pieces.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
I think your set is lovely and I like two toned settings but I can understand that you want a change.

I think you need to decide if you want to go with a solitaire for your center diamond or a halo. If you do a solitaire, you could have the two princess cut side stones added to your wedding band, like you said. But if you do that, I think you’d want to add two more small rounds to the wedding band so that the shapes alternate. Otherwise you will have princess, princess, round, princess, princess. I think visually, alternating shapes would be prettier.

If you go with a halo for your center diamond, I’m not sure that a wedding band with your current round and princesses would work with it. I’m thinking that a band of small diamonds that match the size of the halo diamonds would be best with the halo engagement ring. Maybe you could keep a wedding band of your current stones to wear when you don’t want to wear the halo set.

Good luck! It sounds like a fun project.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results