shape
carat
color
clarity

Red Stone?

Exode153

Rough_Rock
Good day everyone, great to be here! Below is a red stone and I have no clue what type of gem it is. Can someone help me identify it? Thanks!

005_2.jpg

Exode153

Rough_Rock
Is this the right thread for my inquiry? I would really appreciate any information about this red stone. Can someone help me? Thank you in advance!

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It's nearly impossible to be able to identify a stone with only a photo but if I were to take a guess I'd say it looks like a spessartite.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe Andesine-Labradorite?

Exode153

Rough_Rock
Another person has identified the stone (synthetic diamond). Thank you for the replies!

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
:doh:

tourma-guy

Shiny_Rock
We would need more info than just a picture to get anywhere near an accurate identification. Its basically throwing darts at a list of red stones right now.

Exode153

Rough_Rock
tourma-guy|1457443915|4001486 said:
We would need more info than just a picture to get anywhere near an accurate identification. Its basically throwing darts at a list of red stones right now.

What kind of information? You are right about throwing darts. It appears that I will never know for sure the real identity. Thanks!

tourma-guy

Shiny_Rock
Exode153|1457457357|4001582 said:
tourma-guy|1457443915|4001486 said:

What kind of information? You are right about throwing darts. It appears that I will never know for sure the real identity. Thanks!

If you get bring it to a gemologist or jewelry store to get the refractive index tested, that would help really narrow it down. :))

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Exode153|1457399223|4001282 said:
Another person has identified the stone (synthetic diamond). Thank you for the replies!

Based on what distinctive features that could be seen in the photo please?

I'd like to learn, thanks.

DK :))

Exode153

Rough_Rock
dk168|1457477602|4001780 said:
Exode153|1457399223|4001282 said:

Based on what distinctive features that could be seen in the photo please?

I'd like to learn, thanks.

DK :))

After a quick physical examination, it was concluded that it is man-made red stone. I will never know exactly what it is. Therefore, I'll put it to rest. Thanks!

Exode153

Rough_Rock
Here is another image taken from the side.

006_0.jpg

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Exode153,

Do what Tourma-guy has recommended and take the stone into your local jeweller and get them to test the refractive index. Come back with the result and let us know, the jeweller may be able to tell you what it is from testing the RI but if they can't tell you then the awesome people here on PS will definitely be able to point you in the right direction!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What are the measurements of the stone (mm size)?
How did the stone come into your possession? It looks to be very well cut with no signs of wear and tear.

Exode153

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1457532839|4002005 said:
How did the stone come into your possession? It looks to be very well cut with no signs of wear and tear.

It's about 15mm. It's from an estate sale. A jeweler did a quick examination of the stone and said it's man-made (CZ or synthetic diamond). He also said it's in perfect condition with no scratches or cracks. I will take it to another jeweler for the RI and will post the result. Thanks!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Exode153|1457536776|4002042 said:
Chrono|1457532839|4002005 said:

It's about 15mm. I bought it from an estate sale. A jeweler did a quick examination of the stone and said it's man-made. I will take it to another jeweler for the RF and will post the result. Thanks!

The 15 mm size, coupled with the extreme clarity of the stone certainly points towards it being synthetic. Good luck and I'm sure many of us are curious as to what the RI reading ends up as.

Exode153

Rough_Rock
It's about 27mm (not 15mm). Thank you for all the replies!

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If it is CZ, which most likely based on the size it is, then the next jeweler will not be able to measure the Refractive Index as it is too high for the refractometer . Do you doubt what the first jeweler told you that he thought is was CZ? Based on it's size color and clarity, it almost certain to be lab created.

Exode153

Rough_Rock
Yes, I doubted it to be CZ when I compared it with CZ similar to the stone below. It could be a garnet or a cultured man-made stone. I have no clue to be exact. Thanks!

008_2.jpg

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sure you have a clue.

Here is your clue. When you buy a stone, and the seller doesn't know what it is, but it is BIG, CLEAN, OPEN COLOR and CHEAP. Then most likely it is some man made material. If it is very pretty and sparkles a lot, then most likely it is CZ. It doesn't really matter if it is CZ or Glass or Laser Gem, as none of these really have much value at all. Lab created sapphire and ruby does, but no where near what even a garnet would be worth.

By the way, both stones you picture look very similar. You understand that CZ is made in many many colors right. Anyone who handles a lot of stones can generally pick out a CZ as it is very dense material, and the stone will weigh noticeably more than other stones for the same dimension.

When you view your stone in a location with some incandescent bulbs, like maybe your bathroom, with a few light sources, do you see a lot of dispersion? (Sparkle can color) IF so, then I would be pretty certain it is CZ.

How much did you pay for the piece?

Exode153

Rough_Rock
PrecisionGem|1457544638|4002103 said:
Sure you have a clue.

Here is your clue. When you buy a stone, and the seller doesn't know what it is, but it is BIG, CLEAN, OPEN COLOR and CHEAP. Then most likely it is some man made material. If it is very pretty and sparkles a lot, then most likely it is CZ. It doesn't really matter if it is CZ or Glass or Laser Gem, as none of these really have much value at all. Lab created sapphire and ruby does, but no where near what even a garnet would be worth.

By the way, both stones you picture look very similar. You understand that CZ is made in many many colors right. Anyone who handles a lot of stones can generally pick out a CZ as it is very dense material, and the stone will weigh noticeably more than other stones for the same dimension.

When you view your stone in a location with some incandescent bulbs, like maybe your bathroom, with a few light sources, do you see a lot of dispersion? (Sparkle can color) IF so, then I would be pretty certain it is CZ.

CZ is duller than this stone and it feels different. This stone has a lot of brilliance, not so much the sparkle of colors like CZ. I believe it's a cultured gem but I'm not quite sure it's CZ. I will just let it rest in my collection. Thank you so much!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PrecisionGem|1457544638|4002103 said:
Sure you have a clue.

I am in agreement with Gene. The stone is HUGE (27 mm!), CLEAN, BRIGHT, and CHEAP, which are all screaming lab created to me. It probably looks very brilliant due to the cut (lots of small facets will give off a lot of scintillation) and stones that are coloured typically exhibits less rainbow colours (fire) because the base colour itself dampens this.

Exode153

Rough_Rock
I agree 100% that it's lab-created. While inspecting it I saw parallel lines in the entire interior of the stone. It has a red inclusion in the bezel facet that looks like a pyramid. I believe the lines and the inclusion are evidence of man-made creation. It's too big to be of any value, as you said. However, it was not cheap.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results