shape
carat
color
clarity

Red Spinel Engagement Ring + Problems with store bought from- Advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

UkneekFreak

Rough_Rock

Hello All :)

This is the second time posting this. My first message did not have a clear subject heading, and I really do need more advice (if possible). I am very new to the whole ring buying thing. Thanks in advance for your help. :)

This forum has proved to be very useful for me in the past, and I really need any advice I can get at the moment. After debating over what kind of stone I wanted in my engagement ring, I choose a red spinel. I absolutely adore the red spinel, and my fiance and I were going to have one made by Bijoux Extrodinaire. I wish we would have stayed with them. My fiance is still in shock as to how much engagement rings cost, and he is all for saving money.

We found a ring with a 1.98 carat red spinel and four side diamonds (2 on each side) equaling out to 0.35 carats in a platinum setting for $1,495 at a local consignment/estate/antique store in Keene, NH. We looked over the ring closely before deciding to buy it, and did not notice any defects at all. However, after it had been returned to the store from being resized and we had gone to pick it up, we noticed a chip on the bottom side of the stone and a large crack/inclusion inside of it. The stone looked brownish in the sunlight. The sizing was all wrong, and too big. Needless to say, I was in tears, and the store offered to send it back to the goldsmith (whose name they would not share with me) who originally made the ring. It has been over a week, and we continue to call them.

Apparently, the goldsmith still has not found a replacement stone, and has only just begun to look for one in an appropriate size for the ring setting. I tried to let the lady at the store know that the ring size felt more like an 8 (I take a 7.5), but she was only willing to have it resized down on-fourth size. I am so upset over this, and we really wanted to have the ring present when we told our families about our engagement. I wish the store could give us a definite timeline as to when and if we will get the ring back. I feel like they are not being completely honest with us (they did take a look at the ring under a microscope before initially giving it to us, and did not mention the chip and large inclusion). I know that red spinels are a type II, in that they can be somewhat included, but the inclusion did not look crystal like, it looked more like a crack in the stone itself. My fiance did like the ring, but admits that he like the price tag a whole lot. I also do not like the idea that we will not even get to select or see the replacement stone, and I am concerned with the fact that red spinels can run into thousands of dollars. My concern is that the goldsmith will find the cheapest stone possible to replace it with, and that saddens me quite a lot.

My fiance would like to wait to see what they say, but I really want an engagement ring now, seeing as how we are getting married in nearly a year. We would like to get a refund at this point, but the store has been very vague about their return policy, and has not openly said we could even get a refund (their receipt says all sales final). Plus, I believe that they took our final receipt from us or it has been misplaced (so we will need a cancelled check to even attempt to get a refund).

This is a total mess, and my fiance has been a bit apprehensive about looking for a replacement. I would love to go back to Bijoux Extrodinaire and get my ring through there, but it is so dificult when we are out $1545 (the store charged us $50 for resizing). Can anyone give me advice as to how to deal with this situation, and as to where we might be able to find a reputable (store or online) dealer to find a red spinel ring? At this point, I just really want a ring and to have this issue resolved. We are so upset, and any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for all your help.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results