shape
carat
color
clarity

Red/Pink Fluorescence in Antique Blue Topaz?

Cosmetologist

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I purchased these 2 Blue Topaz & Marcasite Art Deco Period 935 Silver Brooches recently & put them under a UV Light (Long & Short) they both Glowed Reddish Pink, Is this common in Blue Topazes?

Are they even Topaz??

I know it's nigh on impossible to tell from 2 images but some ideas of what they could be would be Great!

I'm not that well versed Coloured Gemstone wise my apologies!

inCollage_20191029_171121941.jpg

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Natural blue topaz doesn’t glow under UV light.
I suspect that the gems are synthetic spinel, which definitely glows under UV.

Cosmetologist

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Natural blue topaz doesn’t glow under UV light.
I suspect that the gems are synthetic spinel, which definitely glows under UV.

Thank-You @Bron357!!

I appreciate any input Coloured Gemstones are a Mystery to me!

I don't own any Spinel so I hope it is!!
Do you know what Era or Decade Synthetic Spinel came into common use in Jewellery etc?

If it makes any difference the Vendor thought the Brooches to be German?

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Synthetic spinel appeared in the 1900s, synthetic sapphires and rubies back then (also often used in jewellery) could cost more than real sapphires and rubies, they were popularly used in Antique pieces all over Europe and other parts of the world.

No it makes no difference or not if they are German.

voce

Ideal_Rock
So sad that synthetics used to cost more than natural sapphires and rubies. They can be beautiful, but just depreciate so much over time, while prices for natural stones seem to rise (at least in the past 40 years, not sure about early 1900s post inflation).

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My MIL has an “aquamarine” from the 60’s and I swear it’s synthetic spinel. I need to shine my UV light on it. I did not know they glow red under UV.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So sad that synthetics used to cost more than natural sapphires and rubies. They can be beautiful, but just depreciate so much over time, while prices for natural stones seem to rise (at least in the past 40 years, not sure about early 1900s post inflation).

They used to market them as being created with "modern technology" and as something rarer than earth mined sapphires and rubies, so the middle class in England and Europe paid a premium for them.

Well marketing and withholding gemstones in the market does the same thing ie DeBeers pushing up diamond prices, Argyle's aggressive marketing of pink and brown diamonds that when they first started they couldn't give away.....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results