shape
carat
color
clarity

Red Oregon Sunstone VS red copper diffused andesine

landscape

Shiny_Rock
Post A set of red Oregon sunstones, ranging in color from pigeon blood red to orange red. This post also includes a simple way to differentiate between natural red Oregon sunstone and red copper diffused andesine.

1.Natural Oregon Sunstone

12.8ct pigeon blood red Oregon sunstone
DSC_2513.jpg DSC_2514.jpg DSC_2517.jpg DSC_2519.jpg DSC_2521.jpg

Bright red oregon sunstone
DSC_2527.jpg DSC_2528.jpg DSC_2529.jpg DSC_2544.jpg

Orange-Red Oregon Sunstone

DSC_2522.jpg DSC_2525.jpg DSC_2541.jpg

Color comparison of red Oregon sunstone and Burmese red spinel
DSC_2553 拷贝.jpg DSC_2554 拷贝.jpg

Last edited:

landscape

Shiny_Rock
2.copper diffused andesine
DSC_2538.jpg DSC_2540 拷贝.jpg

3.Natural Oregon Sunstone VS Copper Diffused Andesine
Copper diffused andesine and natural Oregon sunstone are nearly identical when viewed from the front
DSC_2536 拷贝.jpg DSC_2512 拷贝.jpg

a. The color of copper-diffused andesine is distributed and aggregated along the cleavage, and is clearly visible under cross-polarized light. The color of natural Oregon Sunstone is not distributed and clustered along the cleavage.
DSC_2546 拷贝.jpg DSC_2547 拷贝.jpg DSC_2509 拷贝.jpg

b. Under cross-polarized light, when viewed from the back, the color of natural Oregon sunstone is clear and bright, while when viewed from the back of copper-diffused andesine, the color is opaque and ribbon-like, hindering the transparency of the gemstone.
DSC_2548 拷贝.jpg

Tools required
微信图片_20240108172846.jpg

Last edited:

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spectacular!

Finally -- a pigeon-blood-red gem I can afford!

Is the copper-diffused andesine a (commercial) mimic? Did you acquire these intentionally or was it part of the "learning process"?

landscape

Shiny_Rock
Spectacular!

Finally -- a pigeon-blood-red gem I can afford!

Is the copper-diffused andesine a (commercial) mimic? Did you acquire these intentionally or was it part of the "learning process"?

These copper-diffused andesines are all samples I bought from dealers who sell them under the names of Tibetan sunstone, Congolese sunstone, and natural pigeon-blood red andesite. I bought them at the price of copper diffused andesine.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results