shape
carat
color
clarity

Red Diamond???? Is this guy for real????

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lisa1.01fvs1

Brilliant_Rock
I had to post b/c I am perplexed as to why this "estate jeweler" keeps selling colored diamonds & I mean Pinks, Red, Blue
in his ebay auctions w/o reserves. He''s got great feedback, I just don''t get it.

I posted about a pink diamond art deco ring he had on there yesterday in RT and the experts all agreed it was "highly unusual" as Old Miner put it.

Plus he and I had various email dealings and he''s uppity about being a grad. gemologist and all his pieces are authentic.
33.gif

Now he has a blue and red diamond ring auctions:

Red:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-1930s-20ct-Red-Diamond-14k-Gold-Wedding-Ring_W0QQitemZ310034447821QQihZ021QQcategoryZ67727QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Blue:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-1930s-25ct-Blue-Diamond-14k-Gold-Wedding-Ring_W0QQitemZ300209648207QQihZ020QQcategoryZ67727QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I guess the old saying there are suckers.......I just don''t like that he wants you to take his word and probably switches out the real OEC diamonds w/ fake pieces of glass.
29.gif

Anyway, thanks for reading.

lisa1.01fvs1

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry in my haste I probably should have put this in Colored Stones.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Actually, that blue diamond looks to be the color of an irradiated blue diamond. But, it certainly isn''t original to a 1930s ring.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Ditto the red diamond. Here is another seller with a red (enhanced) diamond. Link But, again, not original to the time period of the piece.

IheartDiamonds

Rough_Rock
Those diamonds look dyed. They are probably real diamonds though.

lisa1.01fvs1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/25/2008 4:31:53 PM
Author: IheartDiamonds
Still if real or enhanced wouldn''t they be worth a sh** load of money?

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/25/2008 4:36:51 PM
Author: lisa1.01fvs1

No. Crappy diamonds are pretty cheap.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Hey Lisa-did you see this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=360035804358&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=023

I was searching for antique bracelets last night, and I found this seller.

Don''t know about the diamond(supposed to be a pale pinky), but I LOOOOVE the setting.

lisa1.01fvs1

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Coati there you are my half-korean diamond lovin'' sis!!!

I looove the ring! But come on a real pink? You read the last Pink Diamond thread yest. I hope.

What would Old Miner and Denver say?

Still going to check it out.

Oy! I need to get a life!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lisa, you just need to look for pink diamonds somewhere besides ebay.
2.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/25/2008 4:54:42 PM
Hey Coati there you are my half-korean diamond lovin'' sis!!!

I looove the ring! But come on a real pink? You read the last Pink Diamond thread yest. I hope.

What would Old Miner and Denver say?

Still going to check it out.

Oy! I need to get a life!

Hiya Sis!
I replied to you on that other thread. When ya moving back??

Oh yes, I most certainly read that pinky thread
9.gif
I doubt it''s a true-true pinky, but I do love the setting so much. Who knows how high it will go. I''ve seen their other auctions, and they shoot up. They keep the bidders private which makes me wonder if shill bidding goes on. Don''t like that!!

lisa1.01fvs1

Brilliant_Rock
You are so right Diamondseeker!!!! Darn that voice of reason you have
9.gif

And Coati moving as soon as the house is done w/ the remodel.

Yikes! I''ll be "A Real Housewife of Orange County." Yuck.

I inherited the house, grew up there, a lot of demons from the past stuff, blah, blah, blah.....

But no mortgage!

BTW, I used to live in Venice on Westminister Ave. in the brick apt. building near the baordwalk. (Steam Heat & Electric Refrigeration - mural on outside)

From 1995-1998 or so.

And what is this shill bidding stuff? You are so cosmopolitan.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
There are actuared diamonds, but they are uncommonly rare and exceptionally expensive. I think I read about one that was around half a carat going for over a million dollars. So, I''m thinking that what this guy is selling on ebay is either not authentic, or it''s a total steal
emsmilep.gif

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/25/2008 5:57:52 PM
Author: vespergirl
There are actuared diamonds, but they are uncommonly rare and exceptionally expensive. I think I read about one that was around half a carat going for over a million dollars. So, I''m thinking that what this guy is selling on ebay is either not authentic, or it''s a total steal
emsmilep.gif
Sorry - typing too fast it should have read:
There are actual red diamonds, but they are uncommonly rare and exceptionally expensive.

lisa1.01fvs1

Brilliant_Rock
Vespergirl you are right!

But what to do?

No cert. No great return pollicy. No go.

Too good to be true.

But how do they (sellers) get such great feedback if what they sell is bogus?

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/25/2008 6:25:09 PM
Vespergirl you are right!

But what to do?

No cert. No great return pollicy. No go.

Too good to be true.

But how do they (sellers) get such great feedback if what they sell is bogus?

Uniformed buyers.

I think I know that building you're talking about! Cool!

We have a little house a few blocks from the pier.
I call it "the shack." When I think of how much house our little shack could buy in the burbs, or in a different state altogether, I want to shout out in AGONY!

But, luckily, where we are, property values keep climbing, and our little beach shack will (hopefully sooner than we think) be our retirement!
9.gif

And by the way, Gem and Jewelry Show in Santa Monica this weekend! WooHOO!

eta: Oh, and shill bidding is when sellers use different identities to bid on the items themselves to drive up the price. I suspect a lot of ebay sellers who keep their bidders identities private are doing this.

lisa1.01fvs1

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe I''ll see you there
emteeth.gif

Thanks for the tip!

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Lisa,

I''ve seen this sellers stuff before. Funny thing is, they say all their stuff is rare, etc. One time they were selling an attractive supposed vintage sapphire ring. It sold and the next day, they put the same ring up for auction again and then again. If it is a true vintage, how could there be 3 or more of the same ring? No way they would have had a return on the ring already when the ring had just been sold the day before, etc. I''ve seen them have repeat (duplicate?) items after the item sold. Also, in the past, if I am not mistaken (and this is from quite a while ago), they had a green diamond that was of significant size. In the auction description it said they did not know if it was irradiated or not but at least they disclosed that fact.

I truly do not believe all of the settings they are selling are true antiques or from the 1930''s. Check toolhaus.org - you''ll get the skinny on some people not so pleasantly pleased despite the good amount of feedback this seller has.

Also, the diamonds they are probably setting in these settings are probably irradiated and/or treated and that would greatly affect the price (and in not a good way).

kroshka

lisa1.01fvs1

Brilliant_Rock
Whoa!!!

I went to toolhaus.org and I am so glad you gave out this website.

I had no idea how the "behind the scenes" of Ebay works. We should start our own forum on the subject unless one already exists.

I never buy more than $100-200 so I keep the "I''m such a chump feelings to a minimum."

That seller sucks!

I''m gonna check all sellers using this great tool!

Thanks, and I wrote you a little note on your colored stones thread....hope mom''s OK.

emlove.gif
Lisa

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Just chiming in to say, although I know its already been established this ebay seller isn''t the real deal, Coati is correct in saying that there are such things as Real red and blue diamonds - but they are indeed some of the rarest and most expensive stones out there. A definate give away these stones are most likely irradiated and who-knows-what else!
40.gif
off to read Toolhaus now!

wen104

Shiny_Rock
Ya know this all strikes me funny cause I bought a stone from him before on Ebay. I took it into a jeweler to make sure it was real and it was. It is a small pink tourmaline I got to set in a small ring for my young daughter. Got it cheap pretty ok and smooth deal. Hey ya know we all need to make a living some how at least the stuff he has is making someone out there happy
emdgust.gif
31.gif

lisa1.01fvs1

Brilliant_Rock
You are lucky Wen104.

Last night I read all his nasty ebay feedback that is not available through ebay!

Thanks to Kroshka for the toolhaus.com site.

Yeah, he has screwed a lot of people albeit mainly on small purchases (say under $50) but there were some who paid over $1,000 and got replicas or broken items.

In addition, he''s the type of seller to charge inconsistently on shipping & insurance extras.

Glad your deal went well though.

IheartDiamonds

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/25/2008 4:38:57 PM
Author: Fly Girl

No. When my son was born my husband bought me a blue diamond pendant, he was given to different prices. The natural fancy blue was expensive (obviously), but the price for the diamond dyed blue was basically the same price as if it were a non colored stone, also the dyed diamond was really cheesy looking, he knew I would never go for it.
1.gif

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/26/2008 7:42:21 PM

No. When my son was born my husband bought me a blue diamond pendant, he was given to different prices. The natural fancy blue was expensive (obviously), but the price for the diamond dyed blue was basically the same price as if it were a non colored stone, also the dyed diamond was really cheesy looking, he knew I would never go for it.
1.gif

Oooh IheartDiamonds - you lucky girl! Would you mind sharing photos of your blue diamond pendant? You know we just don''t get to see enough of this color in natural diamonds. It''s so exciting to hear/see when someone has one!

kroshka

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/26/2008 6:46:30 PM
You are lucky Wen104.

Last night I read all his nasty ebay feedback that is not available through ebay!

Thanks to Kroshka for the toolhaus.com site.

Yeah, he has screwed a lot of people albeit mainly on small purchases (say under $50) but there were some who paid over $1,000 and got replicas or broken items.

In addition, he''s the type of seller to charge inconsistently on shipping & insurance extras.

Glad your deal went well though.

No problem Lisa! I''m glad you found it to be a useful tool. I hope others will use it too before buying on ebay because it very well could save you a headache and your pocketbook.

kroshka

wen104

Shiny_Rock
Lisa-I purchased one thing only and I think it was $8. No biggy and it is pretty anyways but my daughter is 10 so it wasn't like I was looking for anything expensive. It is a tiny stone and I really only purchased it to get some feed back on EBay so we can be a trusted user. I hate Ebay and cannot handle the stress of bidding but my husband he is the Ebay liker in my house!
25.gif

7.gif

IheartDiamonds

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/26/2008 8:20:16 PM
Author: kroshka

Date: 3/26/2008 7:42:21 PM

1.gif

Oooh IheartDiamonds - you lucky girl! Would you mind sharing photos of your blue diamond pendant? You know we just don''t get to see enough of this color in natural diamonds. It''s so exciting to hear/see when someone has one!

kroshka
Kroshka,

Its a very very small stone less than a carat.... My husband bought me a necklace with a little round pendant that says "MOM" and the blue diamond hangs next to that... The diamond is sorta like a charm... I will try taking a pic of it for you.... Don''t know if it''s anything worth showing though
33.gif

lisa1.01fvs1

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Diane I will check it out.

I know there are "finds" to be had & scams to get trapped in.

Glad to see a support group for ebayers on ebay!

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/27/2008 7:01:39 PM

Kroshka,

Its a very very small stone less than a carat.... My husband bought me a necklace with a little round pendant that says ''MOM'' and the blue diamond hangs next to that... The diamond is sorta like a charm... I will try taking a pic of it for you.... Don''t know if it''s anything worth showing though
33.gif

IheartDiamonds, are you kidding me? Any size blue is a treasure! I don''t have a blue that is a carat in size either! Please do take pics and post - it would definitely be worth showing. Do you know what shade of blue GIA would consider it - i.e. fancy light blue, fancy blue, fancy intense blue, etc.? How big is yours? Mine is really small too, but I love it anyways
21.gif

kroshka

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results