shape
carat
color
clarity

Red Chrysoberyl

GLbluegreen

Shiny_Rock
I have two similar gems that I purchased at a Gem Show from a vendor who was a long standing jewelry store owner that had closed shop and was selling off the remainder of their stock. They are both marked as Alexandrite however I have always had my doubts because while having a color change including purple, the other color is not green. It is a deep red color. I have finally decided to submit them to AGL for proper identification but have been looking around the internet for more information and it has led me to believe I may have Red Chrysoberyl. Is anyone familiar with this gemstone and could it easily have been misidentified as Alexandrite ?

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
it has led me to believe I may have Red Chrysoberyl. Is anyone familiar with this gemstone and could it easily have been misidentified as Alexandrite ?

Body color for chrysoberyl is pretty variable -- I have a honey-brown/orange one with no color change. The main question is whether it is, chemically, chrysoberyl and next is whether it changes color. I don't know how much or how little color shift with changing color temperature of the incident light is required to earn the designation "alexandrite."

Nick_G

Shiny_Rock
I think I read somewhere that once the chromium content gets high enough in chrysoberyl it becomes dark red with no colour change. IIRC the stones in the study were from Brazil. So maybe this is what you have.

GLbluegreen

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for all your replies. I certainly will read the link you posted AzadKashmir.

GLbluegreen

Shiny_Rock
Thank you marlowgems0711 for sharing your pics. I will see if I can get some photos of my gems in question. From my recollection they look similar.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results