shape
carat
color
clarity

Recycling vintage jewelry (using up components) versus keeping them as is?

Would you break up vintage jewelry that’s not your style to use the components to make new jewelry?

• Yes

Votes: 15 83.3%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It depends (will explain in the comments)

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters
Just a thought that popped into my head because I saw a thread right now with a gorgeous vintage ring on it and myself also voted to keep and wear as is; but if I inherited a piece of bling and it wasn’t my style I would totally pull it apart.

In fact I commented about a brooch my mom inherited from my grandmom, it’s a pretty brooch (though a bit fussy with enamel etc) but my mom doesn’t wear brooches. She’s stashed the brooch in her remaking box to pull it apart and turn it into a ring etc. It’s definitely a vintage piece but neither of us feel compelled to preserve the history of it because it’s not wearable in current form to us.

But also I would never sell something I inherit like that. Partly because I wouldn’t get top dollar for it, and partly because it feels weird to sell family bling unless I’m in need. I would much rather give it away as a gift. So we’re back to remaking.

What do you think?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I inherited it, I'd probably turn it into something else. If I bought it and the craftsmanship was good, I'd probably sell.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think jewelry is meant to be worn so if something just sits in a box unworn and unloved I would not have an issue with repurposing the parts generally. Perhaps I’d try to sell it first. If it was a family piece I’d offer it to my daughter before doing anything else but if she didn’t want it whole, I’d probably remake into something that would be worn.

If I inherited it, I'd probably turn it into something else. If I bought it and the craftsmanship was good, I'd probably sell.

Fair, I think I’m the same. One of the biggest reasons I don’t want to sell though is the “loss”. I get that it’s sunk cost fallacy to an extent but I always feel like I’d rather just get it remade than sell it for half or less of what I paid! I would also remake if it gets me 80% of the way to my goal. Like with that brooch my mom is planning to turn into a ring - the stones are not particularly well matched. The table sizes and diameters are definitely different. But she (and I) don’t care - it’s like “good enough”. I know if we sold the brooch and then bought a ring it would be perfectly matched but 80% is good enough for both of us. Very unlike the typical PSer I think!

I think jewelry is meant to be worn so if something just sits in a box unworn and unloved I would not have an issue with repurposing the parts generally. Perhaps I’d try to sell it first. If it was a family piece I’d offer it to my daughter before doing anything else but if she didn’t want it whole, I’d probably remake into something that would be worn.

It’s interesting that you would choose to perhaps sell before repurposing (in the case of a non sentimental piece), which is also what distracts said. I wonder if this has something to do with labour costs in developed markets (which is where I assume you are from)? If labour costs are high it might cost more to go with custom pieces vs if labour costs are low; so there isn’t a huge difference between selling a piece and buying another vs rehabbing an existing piece.

ksluice

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with the sentiments of all the previous posts, but would only add an exception for a particularly weird plece. I can’t find it now, but the other day on IG I saw a beetle broach with emeralds, old mine diamonds and a giant opal abdomen. All those stones would be ripe for pulling apart and repurposing—they were decent, but perhaps not remarkable—but as a beetle brooch, they were unique and extraordinary.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s interesting that you would choose to perhaps sell before repurposing. I wonder if this has something to do with labour costs in developed markets (which is where I assume you are from)?

No not for me. It’s because someone else might like the vintage piece as it is and then I’d feel bad pulling it apart. If I couldn’t sell it that would tell me it didn’t appeal to anyone so I wouldn’t feel guilty about using its pieces and parts.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have done both. I have a ring I made by tearing apart a stunning watch. It didn’t work. Needed some repairs- and I felt the diamond would be better served elsewhere.
I have a ring I bought to tear apart but once I got it home and saw the craftsmanship it didn’t matter how weird it was I will not break it up.

I have jewelry I would hate to see torn apart when it’s inherited but I sure as heck will include that with the information on it when I pass.

valenledge

Shiny_Rock
It makes me sad to see beautiful jewelry that never gets reached for, so I think if you like what the piece is made of, you can turn it into something you would wear or want to pass on in the family.

And if there’s no redesign that speaks to you, maybe this brooch is also meant to be preserved and passed on down the line as-is!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Im not a fan of breaking up a beautiful antique or vintage piece just to “harvest” the gems and then sell the setting as “scrap”. I prefer to repurpose.
Ive converted 3 vintage watches to bracelets and converted a few brooches to bracelets or pendants. I’ve repurposed watch bands to bracelets and also a chain too short for me to wear by adding a brooch into the middle.
E8D2FB0E-8A5C-4BFE-A500-8B720B6A5985.jpeg FD4B1D38-FD1A-4992-B015-CCCF1C6CB7FD.jpeg 5F698796-3CD1-49F3-9008-DF93C92D1C54.jpeg D99EA6C1-5955-461D-87D4-3B9CF6BED68B.jpeg 3D9C1715-4518-4893-B080-0607B4C5F2B0.jpeg A0D62037-628E-4DD6-8456-14E3B451EE94.jpeg

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fair, I think I’m the same. One of the biggest reasons I don’t want to sell though is the “loss”. I get that it’s sunk cost fallacy to an extent but I always feel like I’d rather just get it remade than sell it for half or less of what I paid! I would also remake if it gets me 80% of the way to my goal. Like with that brooch my mom is planning to turn into a ring - the stones are not particularly well matched. The table sizes and diameters are definitely different. But she (and I) don’t care - it’s like “good enough”. I know if we sold the brooch and then bought a ring it would be perfectly matched but 80% is good enough for both of us. Very unlike the typical PSer I think!

I suppose most vintage or antique things I own - maybe all of them? - I am confident I could sell for at least what I paid and not lose anything. I tend not to buy secondhand/antique unless it is a good deal. It is my new jewelry I would lose value on when selling.

No not for me. It’s because someone else might like the vintage piece as it is and then I’d feel bad pulling it apart. If I couldn’t sell it that would tell me it didn’t appeal to anyone so I wouldn’t feel guilty about using its pieces and parts.

Yes also this. Especially with ornate antique pieces, there are few jewelers today making things with that kind of craftsmanship so I'd feel bad taking it apart if it was still nice.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results