shape
carat
color
clarity

Recycling my ering setting... Inherited star sapphire?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Okay gem lovers, here''s my thought:

I''m getting my ER reset. I was going to surrender my old setting for the value of the gold. Now I''m thinking I''ll keep it and find something colorful to put in there.
9.gif

I have a star sapphire ring given to me by my grandmother. I never wear it because the setting is huge and ornate and not at all my style. So, I''m thinking it could be fun to set my star sapphire in it. Now, correct me if I''m wrong, but star sapphires generally require a bezel set, correct? My old setting is a 6 prong, so it probably wouldn''t work, right?

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
I''d love to see photos of both your ER setting and the star sapphire ring from your grandmother!
This sounds like an interesting project.

LS

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Cabochon stones are frequently set in bezels, but there''s no reason why they have to be ... my mom has a seven carat emerald cab in a 4-prong setting, and it looks absolutely lovely on her. I actually really like the visual of the 6 prongs echoing the 6 rays of the star: that would look lovely!

The two bigger issues would probably be the diameter of the stone vs. what your setting can comfortably accommodate, and whether it can be removed from the old setting without damaging the heirloom (who knows, it might *become* your style in 20 years, or fit your daughters, nieces, grand-somethings, etc. to a tee someday). I second LostSapphire''s pic plea!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/24/2008 4:26:11 AM
Author: Circe
Cabochon stones are frequently set in bezels, but there''s no reason why they have to be ... my mom has a seven carat emerald cab in a 4-prong setting, and it looks absolutely lovely on her. I actually really like the visual of the 6 prongs echoing the 6 rays of the star: that would look lovely!

The two bigger issues would probably be the diameter of the stone vs. what your setting can comfortably accommodate, and whether it can be removed from the old setting without damaging the heirloom (who knows, it might *become* your style in 20 years, or fit your daughters, nieces, grand-somethings, etc. to a tee someday). I second LostSapphire''s pic plea!
Well, the diameter is actually just slightly bigger than my solitaire, so fitting it into the setting shouldn''t be too much of a problem (I hope). As for keeping the setting intact - well, I was actually planning on turning it in to ofset the the cost of resetting it. My mom isn''t particularly attached to the setting, and neither is my aunt, who told me to go for it and reset it into something I''ll wear. My family seems to get attached to stones, and not so much to the settings, LOL.

I actually have it in my purse - I''ll try to sneak outside on a break and take some pictures for you!

My new ering setting can be seen here: http://www.engagement-ring-mountings.com/ring_settings_info_1670.htm#more_pictures. Well, that''s the ring that inspired it anyway.

I have a thread on SMTR where I was whining about people''s response to my reset, if you''re interested in the whole saga.
40.gif
I was initially worried about everyon''es reaction to my ering reset. I have since gotten over it, LOL.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
GO FOR YOUR BREAK NOW!!!
9.gif

I remember this setting: it is beautiful. Don''t worry about SMTR: we''re a pretty happy go lucky group here in Coloured Stones! (a.k.a. we''re "enablers"!)

LS

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Lord I hope no one saw me taking pictues in my car. Here they come! I''m trying.... my work computer is not enjoying my attempts...

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Aha!

SSDR1.JPG

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm. You know, the only thing I don''t like is how high it sits. I wonder if they can perform surgery, scoop out some of the underside of the setting and make it sit lower, without destroying it. Hmmmm...

ssdr3.JPG

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
From the other side.

ssdr4.JPG

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Please excuse my car in the background.... One more of the gorgeous star. I used to play with this ring as a little girl. I was fascinated by it.
1.gif

ssdr5.JPG

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Matching earrings. They''re clipons, I''m going to have them made into studs.

ssdr6.JPG

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
From the side.

ssdr7.JPG

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/24/2008 8:52:18 AM
Author: geckodani
Lord I hope no one saw me taking pictues in my car. Here they come! I''m trying.... my work computer is not enjoying my attempts...

OMG I hope you at least slowed down!!
9.gif

This looks like a really kool project. I see what you mean about the old setting: rather ornate for my taste, but it is fabulous that you would consider taking the stone and using it in your new setting!

LS

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Hee hee. I was parked, no worries.

Hmmmm. I was thinking I''d just have them lower the profile, but I really think I''d rather have it reset into something I could wear on a more everyday basis.

I feel like Pooh Bear. Think, think, think...

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I actually really like this idea. I read this thread yesterday but I don''t know enough about cabs to know if it would have to be a bezel. But I think it would look amazing in a six-prong!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I''m going to the jeweler on lunch to check out my wax, and I''m going to ask them.
1.gif
After another look, I think it''s probably too big to sit in my 6 prong, but they could probably just swap out the head and put a bezel on it (I think the bezel would look cool, LOL).

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Just got back from the jeweler. They are going to reset the sapphire in my old engagement setting, but in a 4 prong, to match the earrings, which are being turned into studs for me.
9.gif

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Very neat!

Pics please, when they are done (when would that be????
9.gif
)

LS

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Too long! My ER reset should be done in 1-2 weeks. The sapphires probably the week after that. I HOPE.

I''m so excited to actually be able to wear my gorgeous star sapphires!!!
9.gif

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
What are you planning to do with the small diamonds in the old setting?

LS

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Nothing, for the moment. I''ll save them for a future project, perhaps.

leggs

Shiny_Rock
This is my favourite project to watch in a long time,they are all fun but this one I love...Congrats on the wonderful stars...

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Leggs! My mom almost cried when I told her. I''ve had the ring since I was 18, but never wore it. She''s happy that it''s finally going to be used.
1.gif

I, like a dork, forgot to get my right hand sized for the reset. Since I''m going in anyway to do that, I was thinking about seeing if they can''t just take the clip-on part of the earrings off so I could wear them dangly. Looking at the pictures, I''m starting to think they would stick out from my ear too much as studs. I wear a headset at work, and that could be uncomfortable.

Think.... think.... think....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results