shape
carat
color
clarity

Recycling Gold Jewelry Pieces

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tigian

Ideal_Rock
Does anyone have any suggestions for a jeweler who will recycle a good amount of gold jewelry and some stones into more wearable pieces? I am open to corresponding via email and mailing the pieces or if you have any suggestions in Northern CA that would be great.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Unless you are particularly attached to the old gold pieces I would suggest NOT using them to re-cast. It is possible and can be done successfully, but the odds are much better if you are casting using fresh casting grain with the correct alloys to get a good pour. Using old stuff can lead to poor castings. Things like porosity and extreme brittleness can be expected. The best thing to do is to make a trade with whoever does your work and let them send the old stuff in to a refiner and use new material for new pieces, (well maybe a little piece can be added to the new casting for sentimental reasons). Anyone who does custom work will be happy to do this for you.

tigian

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/13/2009 1:58:56 PM
Author: Michael_E
Unless you are particularly attached to the old gold pieces I would suggest NOT using them to re-cast. It is possible and can be done successfully, but the odds are much better if you are casting using fresh casting grain with the correct alloys to get a good pour. Using old stuff can lead to poor castings. Things like porosity and extreme brittleness can be expected. The best thing to do is to make a trade with whoever does your work and let them send the old stuff in to a refiner and use new material for new pieces, (well maybe a little piece can be added to the new casting for sentimental reasons). Anyone who does custom work will be happy to do this for you.
Good to know! Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results