shape
carat
color
clarity

Recycled question about Asschers

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Was hoping to get clarification from the step-cut Gods on here.

My asscher isn''t kick''n. But I love it. It''s very square and has small windmills, though.

I''m not sure how the numbers add up (has a GIA report I could roll out if there''s a question, though). It''s a very bright stone though. Brighter than any emerald cut I have seen IRL... and honestly, I''ve never met IRL anyone else with an asscher and haven''t been to jewelry store that has had any (although my interview tommorow is in Manhattan and you can bet your arse there will be some jewelry ogling afterward).

I''ll include my diamond specs:
5.87 x 5.86 x 3.83 mm
1.09 carats
Depth: 64%
Table: 60%
Girdle: Thick
Culet: None
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Clarity: VS1
Color: F
Fluorescence: None

I''m babbling. THE POINT IS-- 3 years ago a jeweler I proposed my baguette halo idea to (I told you I''ve loved it forever...lol) said he would not bezel set any step cut stone because of the way step cuts reflect light gathered from the sides of the stone-- unlike brilliant facetted cuts that gather light from the top the stone.

This was before there were haloed asschers EVERYWHERE. Way before. Most jewelers I talked to around here didn''t know what a halo was until Ritani started their endless love collection and it caught on.

But my question is-- I know my asscher numbers are solid not sure how they are beyond that though-- but will pave setting it make it look really dark? Will it cut down drastically on the light return?

I''ve never had a sarin or anything cool like that of it. But it''s a happy little diamond.
5.gif

I know there are haloed asscher owners about... did you see a big light return reduction after the bezel? IS it true that stepcuts take in light and reflect it differently than brilliant cuts?

Any information to alleviate my ignorance would be greatly appreciated.
4.gif

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
for that matter there are haloed/bezel set EC''s everywhere as well..............................additionally most older asschers i have ever seen (numerous--) are set deep into heavy deco mountings. not sure i am buying the argument against what you desire to do

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
bezel set asschers are kewl.
They have been set that way for decades they work fine in em.
Is there a picture of your asscher posted?
numbers look good.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I bought it.. for about 1 and half years. Until I started to see pictures of bezel set asschers (still have never seen one in person) EVERYWHERE. Manhattan jewelry stone recommendations for seeing this would be VERY welcome. As I am itching to get mine set in this setting... I''m not buying it anymore.

But wanted to hear what you all had to say.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Strm... would love to post one. But would have to take one that doesn''t look like this first. Links or advice (for Idiot''s Version Please) on taking a decent pic of this sucker would be lovely.
346%3A29299%7Ffp343%3Enu%3D3283%3E6%3A8%3E339%3EWSNRCG%3D32336%3B%3B5%3C4499nu0mrj

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
Why, what''s wrong with that pic? It does look like a bright asscher with a lot of light return. I like it!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wish I knew what my Asscher looked like in person before it was bezel set . . . but I find mine to be just beautiful, and yours looks gorgeous. I adore the baguette halo idea, and have really thought it needs to be done on PS. That said, I'll post pics so you can see my ring . . .

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
The finished WF ring
finished.jpg

My diamond;

Item Code: 6129653
Report: GIA
Shape: Asscher
Carat: 0.71
Color: G
Clarity: VVS2
Depth: 67.5
Table: 57
Girdle: TK
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Culet: None
Fluorescence: No
Measurements: 4.95-4.95X3.34
Length/Width: 1.00

DI40X_GIA14345008.jpg

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
And here''s a real life picture of it . . .

IMG_0568ps.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lauren that's a lovely ring WF made for you. Very elegant. Wish there was a before and after! How did you get such a good hand pick?

We spent some time (too much... must go to bed now to rest for interview in the morning) trying to photograph this sucker. We clearly need a new camera. Will post in the hangout about decent low cost cameras... but anyway... here's the best result of our efforts. It's pathetic... but well, so is our camera. Good night, and thanks all!

Gypsy Ring 1.JPG

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
For good pics, use the closeup setting on the camera (tulip icon). Hold the camera very, very steady, then take A LOT of pics to get a few good ones.
21.gif
Hope this helps.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I swoon whenever I see a picture of Lauren's ring. If that's not a fantastic way to set an asscher, I can't imagine what would be.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/17/2006 11:32:50 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier
And here''s a real life picture of it . . .

IMG_0568ps.jpg
FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA+

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
For what it is worth, you could do a halo and not a bezel.

My asscher is set exactly that way and I love it. It makes it kind of unique and allows the stone to really pop, in my opinion.

prongsethalo.jpg

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
Here a pic from the side...just to get an idea of the height...

anyway...might be worth considering...

sideprongsethalo.jpg

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Littlelysser, I just love your halo ring! It's gorgeous!

Gypsy, I would have suggested the prong set halo to you as an alternative, but because Littlelyser's is a pave halo, I don't think it "interrupts" anything.

I tend to think that the beveled edge of a bezel tends to enforce the linear qualities of an Asscher, and might help the look of the baguette halo along, and look like just another "step" in the pattern, IMO.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/18/2006 12:01:16 PM
Author: littlelysser
For what it is worth, you could do a halo and not a bezel.

My asscher is set exactly that way and I love it. It makes it kind of unique and allows the stone to really pop, in my opinion.
I was seriously considering doing that... but everyone who sees my asscher says that b/c I have, like, 1mm corners it would negatively impact the look I''m going for.
8.gif
How big is your asscher littlelysser? Your corners? Cause yours looks FABULOUS like that.

LizzieC

Brilliant_Rock
My asscher doesn''t have ideal specs either, but I love it. I never saw the stone not set, so I don''t have a comparison, but I think it looks good! It''s a bezel set halo:

WFwb0315061.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
But you''ve got WINDMILLS! Real ones. That don''t like just an X . Purty. I have windmill envy... especially as windmills go hand in hand with larger corners. Mmm... windmills.....

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the kind words guys! I like it too! :)

I do see what Lauren is saying re: the bezel adding to the linear look of it. Particularly with baguette halo. Definitely makes sense...

I wonder if there was a way that you could kind of "see" it...a computer mock up or something? It is hard to make that call just based on what we''d imagine it would look like...

Gypsy - my stone is 1.57 carats...I think it is like 6.55mm or something like that. I''m not sure about the corners...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results