shape
carat
color
clarity

Recycled Platinum?!?!?!

lewood

Shiny_Rock
I finally found a solitaire setting to reset my rb diamond into online, but I noticed after we placed and received the order that they use all recycled materials to make their settings. So I bought recycled platinum. Is this bad? I hear it's eco-friendly, but is it still the same quality as non-recycled platinum? I just want some reassurance that the extra money I paid to get platinum, which turned out to be recycled platinum, was well worth it. I personally really love platinum; my old setting was platinum. I just hope I didn't pay the price of platinum for recycled platinum when it is not the same quality- does that make sense? Please ease my panic attack PS!

DisneyBride828

Shiny_Rock
i know Brilliant earth uses recycled materials, and this is what they had to say about it:

"Brilliant Earth's reclaimed metals come from numerous post-consumer sources, including existing jewelry, industrial-use metals, and electronics components. Every piece we cast is made with 100% recycled and re-refined precious metals. Because our reclaimed gold, silver, and platinum are re-refined back into their pure elements, they are of identical quality to newly mined metals. Whenever possible, we select findings (pre-fabricated sub-components found in certain pieces of jewelry) made of 100% recycled metals or we cast findings ourselves with recycled precious metals."

Hope this helps!!

lewood

Shiny_Rock
That does help! Thank you :) I got nervous because I know some people get work done on their platinum rings, and the jeweler doesn't use platinum, but rather white gold, which taints their platinum. So I got to thinking, what is my "recycled" ring has a mixing of gold in it!!!! That worried me because I paid extra for that "forever white" appearance; I'm not one for having to rhodium plate frequently. I'm glad to hear that with recycled metals, they process it back to it's pure, original state. Thanks so much again!!!!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There are several ways to recycle platinum. It doesn't work very well to just take old rings and melt them but this is rarely what's done. Much more common is to have a refinery separate the platinum from the other elements so you've got pure platinum and then to add new alloy (possibly also recycled by the way) back in to make whatever recipie you want. This is the same way they separate paltinum from the host rock with newly mined material. Recycling IS more environmentally responsible than using newly mined material and the end result is 100% identical.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results