shape
carat
color
clarity

Recut for my sapphire

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I have a 1.73 ct Ceylon (oval) sapphire, described in the appraisal as very fine quality. I aquired it at a time when I did not ask about specifics, so I do not have clarity, color or measurements. It is set in a three-stone setting with two diamonds, .50 ctw H VVS1. The stone is looking pretty lifeless to me and I''ve been thinking of having it recut. I''ve considered sending it to Richard Homer, but I''m not sure is I like the "spikey" look of the concave faceting. Are there any other options for bringing my sapphire back to life? I will post pics as soon as I can...

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
First pic...

064.JPG

risingsun

Ideal_Rock

The pics, due to the flash, give it a little more "zip" than it has IRL
2.gif

068 b.JPG

riogems

Shiny_Rock
Looks so nice in the pics... I think it may be too dark for Richard Homer to recut -- but I''m no concave cutting expert.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a beauty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Just tell Richard you''d like the stone recut, but not in the cocave facet style.

He''ll tell you if he thinks he can improve the look of the stone.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2007 9:50:04 PM
Author: Richard Sherwood
Just tell Richard you'd like the stone recut, but not in the cocave facet style.

He'll tell you if he thinks he can improve the look of the stone.
Thanks...that's a good idea. I know that the stone really looks pretty lively in these pics, but when I'm wearing it, it just sits there
11.gif
I wonder if the setting is not letting in enough light. Is that possible?

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/8/2007 11:11:20 PM
Author: risingsun

Date: 4/8/2007 9:50:04 PM
Author: Richard Sherwood
Just tell Richard you''d like the stone recut, but not in the cocave facet style.

He''ll tell you if he thinks he can improve the look of the stone.
Thanks...that''s a good idea. I know that the stone really looks pretty lively in these pics, but when I''m wearing it, it just sits there
11.gif
I wonder if the setting is not letting in enough light. Is that possible?
Hi RingSPun-
35.gif

Cut does have a factor in what you are viewing from the top "crown" down, but traditionally gems are cut for their color. Some sapphires which display a tone which is a little too dark or "inky" can possibly corrected with being re-cut. For example the stone might be a little deep in the pavillion which could be trimmed and might "lighten" the stone a little, but this is a balancing act and could also affect the "saturation" (overall color). Like Richard recommends, send it to a cutter to properly evaluate what can be done.
16.gif

I would not worry about the 4-prong setting you have letting enough light in. This is usually an issue with bezel mounts because the entire bottom half and girdle of the stone are covered for added protection, but the setting you have is more than ample enough to let the light shine through.
36.gif

Hope this Helped...
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results