shape
carat
color
clarity

Recut advice?

meganrachel

Rough_Rock
Hi all! I went to an independent appraiser, who took the stone out of the original setting. Below are details and a picture. I can’t figure out if I can upload a video.

1.85ct. transitional old mine / old European cut
Dimensions: Max Diameter- 7.89 mm.; Min Diameter- 7.58 mm.; Depth- 4.92 mm
Depth Percentage: 63.6%
Table Percentage: 63%
Culet: 0.4mm
Clarity: I1 (The large inclusion on the side I was initially worried about is an external natural trigon. One of the jewelers we consulted with, who is also an appraiser, thinks it’s S1 versus I1. He does a formal appraisal after it’s set so we’ll see. Either way though is fine.)
Color: I

The appraiser cleaned it for a long time and I almost can’t tell its the same stone it’s so much more sparkly/firey. I do not feel a need to recut and appreciate the feedback and suggestions from earlier this year. Thank you @Mreader and @Tourmaline for resurrecting this thread as I also missed many of the comments.

My boyfriend and I met with a couple jewelers and are planning on a four prong solitaire ER. I’ll post final pictures once it’s set and he’s proposed!

58363098-5E99-4608-BEB4-9F4B0B05A94E.jpeg

I also had a loose stone that belonged to my great grandmother appraised and found out it’s a .51 VVS1, H, jubilee cut. I hadn’t heard of jubilee before and it’s beautiful. We toyed with using it in the ER instead of this stone for a bit but ultimately decided to go with the OEC. Perhaps it will become a pendant in the future. I can share pics of that one as well if anyone is interested.

Last edited:

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
@meganrachel thank you for the update! And wow a jubilee cut - what unique stones to have :) I would love to see pics. Congratulations on your upcoming engagement!

valenledge

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful! Thank you for updating with all of the great details, and can’t wait to see it set. Happy upcoming engagement!

P.S. And please do come back to update us on your other heirloom! A jubilee cut!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results