carat
color
clarity

Rectangular or square cushion, and why?

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi all!

Can you please tell me which you prefer, a more rectangular or square cushion? Is one more desirable than the other? Is it easier to find settings for a square cushion? Thanks! :)

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
For me personally, rectangular and with a large culet. Because, this is what the Cullinan II is and that's what I think of when I think of this kind of cut.

I don't pretend this logic will work for anyone else but it works for me. :cheeky:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I prefer rectangular because you get better spread. Not super skinny. But out of square. Plus they look amazing east west.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I prefer square (just my personal aesthetic preference, which is all this really comes down to) but I think it's easier to find rectangular or slightly off-square.

GreenBling

Brilliant_Rock
Guess it depends how you are going to set it.

Personally i prefer squarely ones :) don't need to be an exact square, something within 1.1 ratio. Can't think of what to do with a long one.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm, 50/50 so far. Interesting!

Thank you for the replies!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1318571804|3039999 said:
I prefer rectangular because you get better spread. Not super skinny. But out of square. Plus they look amazing east west.

Gypsy, so the longer side will be set going east/west? I don't think I've seen that, would you perhaps have an example? Thanks 8)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Laila619|1318572315|3040010 said:
Gypsy|1318571804|3039999 said:

Gypsy, so the longer side will be set going east/west? I don't think I've seen that, would you perhaps have an example? Thanks 8)

Sure I've got two:

Neatfreak's modern 8 main cushion in am ERD platinum bezel
file.jpg

Scarlet16's antique cushion on a Leon pave band
PurpleSparkleonhandny.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bump...

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, thanks for the examples! I really like those! It's a pretty look.

I think I'd still set a rectangular cushion N-S though since I have looong fingers. Hmmm.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I like a square cushion (but I better...because I have one!) I also like rectangular cushions though :)

moosemom

Shiny_Rock
by slg47 » 15 Oct 2011 23:13
I like a square cushion (but I better...because I have one!) I also like rectangular cushions though

ditto for me :wink2:

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I like square cushions. I have two erings with diamond square cushions.

I also like rectangular cushions too but I would only get them for right hand rings. I have many gemstones in rectangular cushions and they are beautiful.

No reason ... just what I like.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer rectangular...love the nice pillow-y shape.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
When you get past the initial shape (square vs rectangular) in my experience looking at hundreds of cushions over the years you stand the better chance of finding nicer optics in a square although just because a cushion is square is no guarantee of that. The thing is, with most rectangular cushions it increases your chances of watery crushed ice or a bowtie effect. Most people we've shown both varieties to do not prefer that appearance although you might. Personally I prefer square but when the optics are nice a rectangular can be equally as beautiful.

SneakyBF

Rough_Rock
I prefer square for what its worth. Im a symmetry fan. Get on those cutters for more square AVCs Rhino. The wait is killing me and I while Ive avoided it for years the GF made mention of diamonds being nice (thankfully earrings) this weekend. I dont know how much longer I can keep her off that ladies in waiting forum. That place will certainly be a bad influence on her and my budget.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
LOL Drop me an email and I'll give you an update on things coming.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
My current cushion is slightly rectangular, and set E-W. I like it that way.

My original stone was a rectangular cushion and it was set N-S. I liked it that way, too. I don't like cushions that are too elongated to be set E-W.

My DH prefers square cushions.

I think it's just personal preference, to be honest.

SneakyBF

Rough_Rock
I'm already on your list. I'm the guy whos crossing his fingers for that upcoming 1.5ish white cushion recut. Id say my name to refresh you but then id lose my sneaky status.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
haha... say no more. ;-) :naughty:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results