shape
carat
color
clarity

Rectangular cut cornered diamond - table and depth measurements

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Alexandry

Rough_Rock
I have a cut-cornered recatngular modified brilliant diamond
that measures 6.05x5.66x3.39
Its depth is 59.9% and table is 81%
Can you tell me if this is too deep or too shallow?
I think the diamond is considered a radiant, but
I have a GIA certificate that describes it as cut-cornered rectangular modified brilliant. Is that because of its measurements? Are they not inline with a radiant cut diamond?

homer_j

Shiny_Rock
It sounds like what you have is likely a radiant, but there are a few other cuts that could be described that way. I'm just a rookie,not an expert. For radiant cuts you should check out the AGA cut grading tables:

http://www.gemappraisers.com/chrt.htm

Alexandry

Rough_Rock
Well,I did check out www.gemappraisers and I am concerned because following their chart
a table of 81% reflects a below average cut. I think the depth ratio of 59.9% is still within
a good standard.
Here are all of the specs from the GIA certificate, can you make any sense of it?
I feel uneducated on this and i want to know as much as possoble.
Shape: cut-cornered modified brilliant
Meas: 6.05 x 5.66 x 3.39mm
Weight: 1.01 carat
Depth: 59.9%
Table: 81%
Girdle: Thin to Thick
Culet: None
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Good
Clarity: VS2
Color: F
Flourescence: None
Comments: Clouds are not shown. Additional extra facet is not shown.

Thanks for your help.
read.gif

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
The GIA description is typical for a radiant cut.

Your stone has a large table, which is pretty common on radiant cuts. They often have wide tables and shallow crowns, with most of their "life" coming from the pavilion.

Your stone probably ranks "4A" on the AGA Cut Class scale, which I would translate as a "fair" cut. Not the best, but not the worst. I've seen many stones ranked 4A that were very pleasing to the eye.

Kind of like Demi Moore with a big nose. Not perfect, but you sure wouldn't throw her out of bed.

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
The table is pretty "spread" for our preference... Something in the range of 60 - 68% would be preferable...

Alexandry

Rough_Rock
So, if I have the option of trying again for a more ideal cut stone, should I go for it and return this one?
No matter what the proportions, is the radiant diamond always going to look very busy or should I be able to see clear to the center the way you can a princess or a round diamond?
What is the effect of a stone being too shallow, does it look glassy?

homer_j

Shiny_Rock
I guess it depends on what you are looking for, white brilliance or fire. Have you tried searching for other diamonds on this site. Use the pricescope.com search tool to find a radiant in you size, color, clarity, cost range. I ran a quick search and found several that have more balanced proportions. But again, it all depends on what you want. If you think it looks great, then stick with it. Have you looked at other radiant stones to compare cut and light effects? I'm curious because I am also looking for a radiant diamond, but in the 0.5 to 0.75 ct range.

homer_j

Shiny_Rock
There was a good thread on spread cuts under "Help, I'm very confused."

Here are a few other stones listed on pricescope.com:

1.03 G VS2
Depth 62.1%
Table 65%
GIA
Girdle tn-tk
Culet sm
Polish gd
Symmetry gd
Fluor no
6.08x5.7x3.54
$4267

1.03 G VS2
Depth 64.5%
Table 65%
GIA
Nothing else listed

1.01 G VS1
Depth 67.7%
Table 63%
GIA
Girdle tn-m
Culet no
Symmetry gd
Polish vg
Fluor no
6.25-5.39x3.65
$4057

1.01 E VS2
Depth 66.1%
Table 63%
GIA
Girdle tn-slt
Culet no
Symm gd
Polish gd
Fluor no
7.33x5.05x3.34
$4586

Alexandry

Rough_Rock
Homer,

Is white brilliance what I should have because the diamond is colorless?
Can this be achieved even without the more ideal cut proportions?
And the cut or proper proportions will give it the fire? I think what I'd rather have is fire.
I have only compared it to a couple of other radiant diamonds.
I think I was mistaken because I really liked the look of the Elara and Lucida diamonds and I thought the radiant was the more affordable choice for something like that, but it does not seem to have the same effect. I like the squarer shape, but more fire and brilliance than a princess cut diamond.
My fiance' and I have decided that we are probably going to take it back to the person from which we purchased it. Are you planning to purchase online? I am now thinking it may be the way to go.
Do you have any idea of how much you could save buying online vs going to a jewelry store?
One last thing, do you think there is a specific table and depth I should be looking for or just between those recommended ranges? They were 60% - 68%, right? Does that go for table and depth?
Thanks so much

homer_j

Shiny_Rock
I will defer all technical cut questions to the "cut rock" experts. I am planning on buying on-line. I've seen savings as much as $1000+ for what I think are better quality stones. But, I haven't completed my experience yet. Based on what I have read, I'm trying to follow David Atlas' cut chart specs for a 1b class cut. If anyone can weigh in here, it would be greatly appreciated, for both of us...
twirl.gif

homer_j

Shiny_Rock
------------------------------------
This isn't an answer to your question, but rather a follow-up question non-related.
I was questioning about the radiant diamonds (table and depth characteristics) and you had answered me and provided some quotes ( THANKS ). Is a radiant diamond what you found to buy?
How long have you been researching all this?
If so, can you tell me the stats? I can assure that I won't go looking for it, I have alot more
research to do before buying this time. I just want to get an idea of what you found to be the
"right one".
Also, are you trying to get it from an online vendor or local jeweler? As you can tell, I don't know much about all this yet.
---------------------------------------------------------

My response to your post on my other thread:

Yes, I bought online today, it's getting delivered now. So, I haven't seen it yet, getting appraised early next week. I hope it all works out, I've been researching for several weeks now. Reading as much as I can and searching for listed stones, all on-line.

These are the specs:
Radiant Cut 0.58 ct F VS1
Table 64% Depth 65.2% 5.66mm x 4.54mm x 2.96 (l/w=1.24)
VG Polish, G Symmetry
Faint blue fluorescence

I got good responses from some folks when I posted earlier in the week, however they wanted me to make sure I get a Sarin report for crown, pavilion, girdle, etc measurements.

If and when it all works out, I'll post the details of my on-line experience.

Fingers crossed!

Alexandry

Rough_Rock
Homer,
Will you be getting the Sarin report at the appraisal?
What are you going to be looking for in regard to those things?
Good luck and please do post the results.

homer_j

Shiny_Rock
Alexandry:

Well, I picked up the stone last night and couldn't resist looking at it this morning. It looks great to my untrained eye. I can't see the inclusions with a 16x loupe. Has an elegant brilliance and flickers with some fire.

I plan on having the diamond evaluated by an appraiser for identification, verification of the GIA certificate, and overall quality including measurements. I don't believe there will be a Sarin report, the independent appraiser I chose doesn't likely have the machine so the measurements will probably be done by hand...???

I am pretty confident it will all check out ok, I'd hate to be the first to have to post negatively on the vendor I bought from. They have a good rep on this forum and I will be sure to compliment them when all is said and done.

I'll let you know in a few days. Keep us posted on your search.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results