shape
carat
color
clarity

Recommended cutter for sphene

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I want a sphene, darn it all.

Somebody here has one, but I can''t recall who. It was gorgeous and super sparkly. I want one just like that. I originally wanted an EC but apparently that doesn''t sparkle hardly at all in a sphene, so I am ok with a round or cushion that is cut well. Who would you ladies recommend for cutting me a piece?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most faceters stay away from sphene because it's difficult to cut because it's so soft. I bought a 2.25 ct gorgeous one from exportgems on ebay for around $70, but it is ebay, and it is the only stone I ever purchased from them. It has a slight window, but it's a very decent native cut. Here's a pic in my rose gold mount. I also have a step cut one that shows rays of rainbows down the steps of the facets. It's a very nice Apple green 6 carater and I love it. Step cuts also have their place with sphene. I bought that stone for a little over $100 on ebay, and it's worth a lot more. I've actually had great success with sphene on ebay, but make sure you check out the seller on toolhaus.org before you buy.

TLSpheneLOGR2.JPG

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, it''s a 5 on the scale, right? So super soft? I was hoping for something of decent size I could put in a pendant so I won''t just destroy the soft edges in a day.

I''m glad to hear you had success on ebay, and I''ll keep on eye on the seller you mentioned. I see nice ones on there a lot but I''m always afraid it won''t be real - not that it would matter much if I didn''t pay a lot, but over $75 and I''d be mad!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My sphene was cut by Gene of Precisiongem. It is utterly gorgeous.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn''t know Gene cut sphene (hey that rhymes!!).

Well, it''s a beautiful gem species. I know LovingDiamonds has several rings (what doesn''t that lady have?!!). I hope she posts them or you can look them up on PS.

I prefer ones with an apple green body color. I doubt many of them are fake on ebay, but I do think many don''t have the vibrant color, they''re too cloudy, or they don''t have the "spark" as they call it as depicted in the listings. I was really pleasantly surprised with my sphene from exportgems. Stay away from Thaigemstore though, he sells lots of sphene, but his pictures/videos are super enhanced.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I bought my sphene from Art Cut Gems and I had him set it too.

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/7/2009 10:45:52 PM
Author:MonkeyPie

Somebody here has one, but I can''t recall who. It was gorgeous and super sparkly. I want one just like that. I originally wanted an EC but apparently that doesn''t sparkle hardly at all in a sphene, so I am ok with a round or cushion that is cut well. Who would you ladies recommend for cutting me a piece?
Is my sphene the one you were thinking of? The first photo shows more yellow, taken in incadescent light. It is more green in the second, daylight photo.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/asscher-or-barion-cut-for-a-small-stone.95471/

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2009 1:22:12 PM
Author: zeolite

Date: 4/7/2009 10:45:52 PM
Author:MonkeyPie

Is my sphene the one you were thinking of? The first photo shows more yellow, taken in incadescent light. It is more green in the second, daylight photo.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/asscher-or-barion-cut-for-a-small-stone.95471/
It wasn''t, but OMG. I love your stone so much! That is gorgeous! *drool*

I actually want the more brown version of sphene, much like the one you linked me to. I know it looks different in each type of light, but I really love the high dispersion and all the rainbows in the brown.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG Zeolite, your stone is gorgeous!!!! I love it. I would love to have a sphene like that.
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Darn it, I can''t find LD''s posts - just one of the pear sphene, which is AMAZING!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/8/2009 2:30:26 PM
Author: MonkeyPie
Darn it, I can''t find LD''s posts - just one of the pear sphene, which is AMAZING!
MP - Do you mean me? I have several Sphenes. I do have a honey coloured one but mostly they are the green variety (I think you''ve found the green pear)????????

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I asked this question before somewhere else, but I never got an adequate answer. Does the body color of the sphene have anything to do with value. I personally prefer the yellow and green ones over browns. I simply do not care much for stones with a brown primary color. Not to hijack the thread, but I thought it was pertinent because it may affect to OP's decision on choosing a particular sphene.

Wildfishgems has lots of sphenes as well, and he may have some precision cut ones.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/8/2009 4:36:53 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
I asked this question before somewhere else, but I never got an adequate answer. Does the body color of the sphene have anything to do with value. I personally prefer the yellow and green ones over browns. I simply do not care much for stones with a brown primary color. Not to hijack the thread, but I thought it was pertinent because it may affect to OP''s decision on choosing a particular sphene.

Wildfishgems has lots of sphenes as well, and he may have some precision cut ones.
I don''t believe so.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2009 4:14:29 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds

Date: 4/8/2009 2:30:26 PM
MP - Do you mean me? I have several Sphenes. I do have a honey coloured one but mostly they are the green variety (I think you''ve found the green pear)????????
Yes, and yes :D I think your pear sphene is awesome - I love all the rainbow colors just radiating out of it in your pictures. The dispersion is why I want a sphene so bad, it''s just pretty.

And as far as I can tell from my researching - and drooling! - there doesn''t seem to be much of a price difference between the brown and yellow/green sphenes, unless they are emerald cut. I thought it was weird but all the ones that are EC cost more. Probably has more to do with clarity than color, though.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BTW, just as an FYI to help you with your search, some people call sphene "Titanite." I know Wildfishgems does.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MP - thank you. I''m flattered.

You''re right. There isn''t a price difference between the honey and green varieties. It actually comes down to taste I think. I would definitely NOT recommend an emerald cut because you''re right, the dispersion will be affected. Sphenes really don''t photograph well and they are sensational in real life. I''m embarrassed to say that I''ve compared my Chameleon diamond to a Sphene!!!!

Here''s one of my honey coloured ones - please excuse the photo, it''s not great. Is this the colour you''re thinking of?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the pear I think you''ve seen? It''s much more of an apple green colour:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I love my 6 carat step cut sphene - it throws off rainbows. I do wonder if it would be more dispersive if cut with more facets.

TLstpcutsphene.jpg

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2009 4:52:20 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds

MP - thank you. I''m flattered.

You''re right. There isn''t a price difference between the honey and green varieties. It actually comes down to taste I think. I would definitely NOT recommend an emerald cut because you''re right, the dispersion will be affected. Sphenes really don''t photograph well and they are sensational in real life. I''m embarrassed to say that I''ve compared my Chameleon diamond to a Sphene!!!!

Here''s one of my honey coloured ones - please excuse the photo, it''s not great. Is this the colour you''re thinking of?
I had heard about the EC''s not being so good for sphene. Someone had an octagon shape cut with it in the thread I found your awesome pear in, though, that was amazing. If I could get it done in a good step-cut, I am ok with not having a million teeny sparklies as opposed to broad flashes. I originally wanted a cushion or round though, to get the most out of the stone...so I am guess I am undecided lol. Your little oval is the exact color I want, though. Yummy.

And TL, I will try searching for titanite - I knew that was it''s "second" name, but never though to search of it under that.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
TL: Your sphene is gorgeous too. Are you going to set it, or just keep it in your collection?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Linda,
I am kind of afraid trusting most benchmen to set such a soft stone. I just look at them in the box. I might set the oval one of these days if I find a jeweler who is familiar with gemstones other than diamonds, rubies and sapphires.

Sphene is a really beautiful and underappreciated stone. Another stone that is just simply remarkably beautiful, but even softer than sphene, is sphalerite. Like sphene, it's one of the few natural gemstones that has more fire than diamond. There are very few natural gems that have a higher dispersion than diamond. I think it's just sphene, demantoid and sphalerite, if I'm not mistaken. Sphalerite is only a just 4 on the Mohs though. It's like nature decided to play a cruel joke and make all these gorgeous dispersive gems too soft
39.gif

By the way, the OP should look into light colored demantoids as well. They're very similar in look to sphene, but they're a 6.5 on the Mohs. They just typically run very small, and they are on the expensive side for fine colors, but you can find some decently priced ones. They're very dispersive, I think more than diamond, but not quite as much as sphene. Still a nice alternative if you want a harder stone. The lighter ones are more dispersive and also much less expensive. The fine chrome green ones from Russia cost a randsom.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2009 5:34:09 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Thanks Linda,

I am kind of afraid trusting most benchmen to set such a soft stone. I just look at them in the box. I might set the oval one of these days if I find a jeweler who is familiar with gemstones other than diamonds, rubies and sapphires.

Sphene is a really beautiful and underappreciated stone. Another stone that is just simply remarkably beautiful, but even softer than sphene, is sphalerite. Like sphene, it''s one of the few natural gemstones that has more fire than diamond. There are very few natural gems that have a higher dispersion than diamond. I think it''s just sphene, demantoid and sphalerite, if I''m not mistaken. Sphalerite is only a just 4 on the Mohs though. It''s like nature decided to play a cruel joke and make all these gorgeous dispersive gems too soft
39.gif

I know, it is soooooo cruel. I wouldn''t know where to go to set a sphene either, around my area. Unless, I purchased one somewhere and had them set it.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Miss Monkey

Pandora has a beautiful sphene pendant, search her posts and I am sure you will come across it.

And quite by coincidence I saw this sphene from Gary Dutton this morning.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Oohh, thanks Gailey!

And TL, I will have to go looking for demantoids now - I had no idea they were on the same dispersion scale as sphene. The dispersion is my reason for wanting one of these stones so I am open to other kinds that do basically the same thing. I''m not too picky about color, either.

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I guess sphene would be better set into a pendant, but then I couldn''t see the beautiful colors. With my luck though set into a ring, I would bang it all of the time.
39.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/8/2009 5:46:22 PM
Oohh, thanks Gailey!

And TL, I will have to go looking for demantoids now - I had no idea they were on the same dispersion scale as sphene. The dispersion is my reason for wanting one of these stones so I am open to other kinds that do basically the same thing. I'm not too picky about color, either.
I think sphene is slightly more dispersive, but demantoids are beautiful and dispersive as well. I have an African and Russian demantoid. I recommend you look for non-Russian stones. They are less expensive typically (there is an origin premium on demantoids from Russia), and they are very beautiful. Demantoids come from Central Asia, Namibia and Russia. You can get the Namibian (African) and Central Asian stones for less. They're part of the garnet family, but they have the highest RI of the that species.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL, maybe it''s just the Demantoids I have but they don''t hold a candle in terms of dispersion to Sphene. Demantoids, whilst beautiful, also in my opinion, don''t have such a pretty colour.

I''ve got to say though that I ADORE Sphalerite. I''ve got one that looks like molton lava and it''s just captivating. Yummy yummy yummy!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results