shape
carat
color
clarity

Recommendations on Boston Jewelers?

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
Hello all,
I recently did a pricescope search on recommended Boston Jewelers as we are going ring shopping... today. Time constraints make it so that we can't visit them all and I'd like to know the forum's advice on jewelers they have had good experiences with. We recently went to look at some rings in DC and needless to say, it was not the best experience.

Here's the list I've put together from my browsing (and I quote):
"E.B. Horn on Washington Street, right near the Jewelers'' Building"
"http://www.peterindorf.com/welcome/"
"Turco Brothers in the Diamond Building (333 Washington St.) in DT X-ing"
"Homsey Jewlers in the jewlers building at downtown crossing. whatever you do, DO NOT GO TO DEPRISCO JEWLERS."
"K-Horn''s Jewelry on Washington St. in Boston."
"Longs or Dorfman''s"
"Harper and Faye, in the Financial District - right around the corner from Government Center."
"Hefez and Sons"

We can only make 1-2, unfortunately, but the main goal is to see more color/size in person and if we find someone we trust to possibly show them the GIA numbers of some diamonds we've found to source for us. Trying to do this online is a little daunting and I never want to email too much with the fear of the impending PITA fee. We did ask a PS vendor to look into one for us, and after being told they would look into it haven't heard back in about a week. If this doesn't pan out we'll probably contact one of the known NY vendors and go from there.

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My experience:

Hefez and Sons: good service (had several pieces resized there) and prices are pretty competitive, saw a few of their custom pieces and the workmanship is pretty good, what I would expect for custom work. No hard sale going on.

Sisters Jewelry: great service, prices were reasonable, no hard sale as well, felt comfortable shopping there.

EB Horn: I went in to see a designer range of jewelry that they are authorized retailers of. The staff was generally friendly, but did not appear to display the knowledge that I was familiar with at Hefez and Sisters, in fact they didn't even know they carried the designer I was looking for until one of their staff managed to find it (it was not on display for some reason).

Deprisco: went in there to see another designer's range of jewelry that I was interested in buying. sadly, service was lackluster, the salesman also couldn't answer my questions on the size,quality of the melee diamonds, or whether it was bead set or pave. At no time did I feel welcomed in the store; I went in when there wasn't any customers and the sales staff just stood around.

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
Hello!
We didn't see this until we got home from our adventure. We initially walked towards 333 washington (jewelers building), stopped by EB Horn and left quickly as they were too crowded and after seeing they didn't have any settings I was interested in we moved on. There was a place further down - I unfortunately don't remember the name - that had a couple jewelers in there. Long story short and with the amazing amount of knowledge PS gave me we were eventually ushered into the Jewelers building, ended up in someone's office (with a HUGE safe full of diamonds), and had him list a couple out for us.

He showed us a couple of diamonds at very good prices, all triple excellent cuts - however we never saw the certs with the exception of a rogue 2.14 EGL certed diamond I quickly nixed due to an inclusion I saw on the table (thought it was whiter than the I, lower in color than the D).

The two biggies we liked were a 1.5 D SI2 and a 1.7 I SI1. Both eye clean at competitive prices - thought after seeing the two together I obviously deviated towards the D. We left and intend on returning this weekend (if I can make it back) - but in all it was definitely a different experience than our DC adventure.

I will say, however, having someone source the stone we found online is proving difficult. Sight unseen it has a triple x, HCA 1.7, AGA 2A - however each dealer brushed it aside.
- main concern was a feather that doesn't reach the surface noted by one which I thought was OK (as long as it doesn't reach the surface).

I plan on going back with an ideal-scope this weekend if I can make it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Were the prices around $12k or so? That is what I am seeing on the price search here. I would not like it that they did not show you the certs. I would have to know that information to make sure the stones were the better cut stones within GIA excellent. You'll be okay if you use an idealscope, though. But I'd never make a commitment without seeing the certs.

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
I agree, the prices seemed standard with the search and I was able to compare in person which was good. I need to purchase an ideal-scope for my next venture...

if this time fails in person, I'm lining up stones in NY and heading there for a weekend.

Ashley-Sarah

Rough_Rock
You should also consider ADCO diamond. I had a great experience with them. She is also aware of pricescope.

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ashley-Sarah|1335889912|3184836 said:
You should also consider ADCO diamond. I had a great experience with them. She is also aware of pricescope.

yes, my apologies: ADCO was formerly known as Sisters Jewelry! For some reason the old name stuck in my head. They were really nice and lovely to work with.

gigiinboston

Rough_Rock
ADCO Diamond was never Sisters' Jewelers. It's two separate companies. Adco has been in business since 1980 in the Jewelers' Exchange Building.

Great place, with fantastic service and competitive prices. If you go, please mention Gigi sent you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results