shape
carat
color
clarity

Recommendations for thin band settings/mountings?

PumpkinsAreAwesome

Shiny_Rock
Hello! While I'm waiting for some diamonds to come back from lab grading, I've decided to focus my search on a setting!

What are your favorite thin band solitaire settings (1.8mm or less)? Preferably no pave, budget less than $600. There was one that caught my eye on the Stuller site, but the basket prevents the wedding band from sitting flush with the e-ring!

I also found that a band that tapers to the stone looks best on me, but I have yet to find one with a thin enough band. At this point, I think I'm okay with no taper, knife edge, etc. as long as the band is thin.

Thank you again!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PumpkinsAreAwesome|1446915054|3946646 said:
Hello! While I'm waiting for some diamonds to come back from lab grading, I've decided to focus my search on a setting!

What are your favorite thin band solitaire settings (1.8mm or less)? Preferably no pave, budget less than $600. There was one that caught my eye on the Stuller site, but the basket prevents the wedding band from sitting flush with the e-ring!

I also found that a band that tapers to the stone looks best on me, but I have yet to find one with a thin enough band. At this point, I think I'm okay with no taper, knife edge, etc. as long as the band is thin.

Thank you again!

Is not sitting flush really the end of the world?

Octobergirl

Rough_Rock
I've seen some nice Stuller settings too, does anyone know roughly how they are priced? Thanks

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Octobergirl|1446916222|3946653 said:
I've seen some nice Stuller settings too, does anyone know roughly how they are priced? Thanks

I've had plain solis quoted around 300

PumpkinsAreAwesome

Shiny_Rock
Niel|1446915112|3946647 said:
PumpkinsAreAwesome|1446915054|3946646 said:

Thank you again!

Is not sitting flush really the end of the world?

Not the end of the world, but I'm sure it would bug me a good amount! A small gap is probably okay, but all the pictures I've seen with that Stuller setting have significant gaping.

In terms of wedding band I had this in mind: https://www.etsy.com/listing/151563552/petite-bubbles-14kt-white-gold-without

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it really that much irl?

img_780__2_.jpg

img_9799.jpg

img_9800.jpg

PumpkinsAreAwesome

Shiny_Rock
Niel|1446922300|3946691 said:

That is a gorgeous ring by the way!

I think you can get away with it since your band is wider than your e-ring band. The wedding band I'm looking into will probably be around 1.5-2mm, which may exacerbate the gaping effect!

I'm going to SF today, so I'll look for a Stuller dealer and see if they have this ring to try on.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PumpkinsAreAwesome|1446924011|3946703 said:
Niel|1446922300|3946691 said:

That is a gorgeous ring by the way!

I think you can get away with it since your band is wider than your e-ring band. The wedding band I'm looking into will probably be around 1.5-2mm, which may exacerbate the gaping effect!

I'm going to SF today, so I'll look for a Stuller dealer and see if they have this ring to try on.

Oh no this isn't mine. Just another PSers. I thought seeing it irl might solidify if the gap was a deal breaker or not.

Which I really don't think this one is that noticeable. I mean you're wearing two rings, its OK to look like you're wearing two rings.

But I understand it's a preference thing

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock

PumpkinsAreAwesome

Shiny_Rock
Went to SF today and had no luck finding a jeweler that carried Stuller settings. One even steered me away from them, stating that they are low quality. Great.

I did realize that knife edge settings do not look good on me, nor bands thicker than 2mm.

The hunt continues!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PumpkinsAreAwesome|1446943195|3946840 said:
Went to SF today and had no luck finding a jeweler that carried Stuller settings. One even steered me away from them, stating that they are low quality. Great.

I did realize that knife edge settings do not look good on me, nor bands thicker than 2mm.

The hunt continues!
Stuller settings aren't low quality, they are just basic.

And I wouldn't trust a jeweler's opinion on a brand he didn't sell

Shannon74

Rough_Rock

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just understand that there is greater risk of damage to your ring when you go too thin. I would not go smaller than 1.8mm.

PumpkinsAreAwesome

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1446964446|3946927 said:
Just understand that there is greater risk of damage to your ring when you go too thin. I would not go smaller than 1.8mm.

Definitely! I think it's a balance of a sturdy enough ring and aesthetics. Thick bands just do not look good on me, but I think I can get away with around 1.8 and maybe even 2mm?

That Vatche ring looks really nice... though slightly above my price range. That Amavida ring would have been perfect without those side balls! I'll keep looking, though at this point I am really leaning toward that Stuller setting!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PumpkinsAreAwesome|1447009321|3947078 said:
diamondseeker2006|1446964446|3946927 said:

Definitely! I think it's a balance of a sturdy enough ring and aesthetics. Thick bands just do not look good on me, but I think I can get away with around 1.8 and maybe even 2mm?

That Vatche ring looks really nice... though slightly above my price range. That Amavida ring would have been perfect without those side balls! I'll keep looking, though at this point I am really leaning toward that Stuller setting!

2mm is thin! And the .2mm different will make more difference in durability than it will aesthetically

PumpkinsAreAwesome

Shiny_Rock
After continually staring at that pic niel posted, I think I'm pretty set on that Stuller setting. Now the question is where to buy it! Are there any websites I can purchase it, or do I have to go through a jeweler? Can't seem to order from the Stuller site...

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stuller only sells to jewelers - a lot of local jewelry stores would be able to order from their catalog for you. If there's a jeweler you're already working with and trust, see if they carry (or can order) Stuller. If not, find a jeweler with a good reputation who does. Remember that the jeweler will have to notch the prongs and set the stone for you, and while that seems like a simple thing, it can be screwed up.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Call up Patronik Designs Fine Jewelry in Burlingame. I think they carry Stuller, or can order from them. They are super nice. I got my tennis bracelet from them.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PumpkinsAreAwesome|1447042543|3947189 said:
After continually staring at that pic niel posted, I think I'm pretty set on that Stuller setting. Now the question is where to buy it! Are there any websites I can purchase it, or do I have to go through a jeweler? Can't seem to order from the Stuller site...

If you find a diamond from love affair diamonds, she should be able to get you a stuller setting ::)

PumpkinsAreAwesome

Shiny_Rock
LLJsmom|1447054239|3947215 said:
Call up Patronik Designs Fine Jewelry in Burlingame. I think they carry Stuller, or can order from them. They are super nice. I got my tennis bracelet from them.

Thanks for the tip! Finding a jeweler scares me because of the conflicting information I've gotten from so many of them during my search, from things like "OECs are dull compared to RBs" to "M diamond are always yellow and garbage" to "A $5000 M 1.5 is too good to be true" to "Stuller products are poor quality, you need custom". Then there's the fear of them chipping my diamond and of course getting ripped off. Yelp reviews can only take me so far!

Maybe I'll get lucky and an LAD diamond will show up this week! Too bad they can't just get the setting for me!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PumpkinsAreAwesome|1447086305|3947298 said:
LLJsmom|1447054239|3947215 said:

Thanks for the tip! Finding a jeweler scares me because of the conflicting information I've gotten from so many of them during my search, from things like "OECs are dull compared to RBs" to "M diamond are always yellow and garbage" to "A $5000 M 1.5 is too good to be true" to "Stuller products are poor quality, you need custom". Then there's the fear of them chipping my diamond and of course getting ripped off. Yelp reviews can only take me so far!

Maybe I'll get lucky and an LAD diamond will show up this week! Too bad they can't just get the setting for me!

Have you emailed them to see if they have anything they haven't listed?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results