shape
carat
color
clarity

Recommendations for someone to look at my stone

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Mlh The following is a technical post and I am not saying you have a bad diamond.

I am rather stumped as to why the diamond was cut this way.
We have seen it on diamonds that had steep pavilions with one or 2 shallower mains to make the average look better on systems that use it.
Those it is clearly an issue.

This one with a 40.6 average, why do it?
Without it the average might be 40.7 or 40.8 which is just as good a number as 40.6 and they could have avoided the low angle mains.
Weird.

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock
Hi @Karl_K . I do understand that you were answering to the technicals. I really do appreciate the critique. I love learning and you have been generous with your feedback. As a new and nervous 1st time buyer it is hard to distinguish what the findings mean in terms of the value, and overall impact on the structure and performance of the stone. Is it a minor issue or not. Do I return it? Not easy to tell from the conversation. I spoke to idj first thing this morning. Of course, Yekutiel was extremely gracious and patient. He is now showing me another option. Hopefully I will choose well. :)

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, @Mlh :wavey:

If you'd like the name of an independent appraiser, I'm happy to recommend David Wolf of Just Appraisers, Suite 706 - 608 Fifth Ave. At the corner of 49th St, so around the corner & up 2 blocks from IDJ. Excellent credentials, well equipped office, plus he's super nice and helpful, informative.

I've only used him for full blown appraisals & I think that's true of the other PSers who've gone to him (and had very positive experiences with him too). But there's no reason not to call & ask him if he would do a pre-purchase "quickie" evaluation -- if Yekutiel is amenable to that. Otherwise, I think IDJ still has a 30-day return/full refund policy? So you could make an appointment with David for an abbreviated oral evaluation and then either return the stone or keep it. Perhaps David would credit some of the fee for a quick look-see toward his charge for a full appraisal of whatever stone-ring you decide to make your own. Being with him as he studies a stone or jewelry piece as part of one of his complete appraisals is like having your own personalized diamond/gem tutorial! (fyi: you won't get the written report on the spot).

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, @Mlh :wavey:

If you'd like the name of an independent appraiser, I'm happy to recommend David Wolf of Just Appraisers, Suite 706 - 608 Fifth Ave. At the corner of 49th St, so around the corner & up 2 blocks from IDJ. Excellent credentials, well equipped office, plus he's super nice and helpful, informative.

I've only used him for full blown appraisals & I think that's true of the other PSers who've gone to him (and had very positive experiences with him too). But there's no reason not to call & ask him if he would do a pre-purchase "quickie" evaluation -- if Yekutiel is amenable to that. Otherwise, I think IDJ still has a 30-day return/full refund policy? So you could make an appointment with David for an abbreviated oral evaluation and then either return the stone or keep it. Perhaps David would credit some of the fee for a quick look-see toward his charge for a full appraisal of whatever stone-ring you decide to make your own. Being with him as he studies a stone or jewelry piece as part of one of his complete appraisals is like having your own personalized diamond/gem tutorial! (fyi: you won't get the written report on the spot).

Thank you so much!!! So helpful!! I just called them. Seems they are out of the office until mid February:(

Last edited:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much!!! So helpful!! I just called them. Seems they are out of the office until mid February:(

I'm changing professions.....lol

Reactions: Mlh

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did. Was seeing what I thought was a dark spot which had me concerned. I thought vs1 should be eye clean. I think I may be confusing obstruction with inclusion. So now I am confused. Of course all the perfect stones on pricescope add to self doubt. As a first timer I am not sure what to think. I want to get a great stone of course. Yuketiel says it is eye clean.

Believe me, most Pricescopers do not have "perfect" stones. Many of us compromise on something to get what we want - they just LOOK perfect in our pictures!

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock
Believe me, most Pricescopers do not have "perfect" stones. Many of us compromise on something to get what we want - they just LOOK perfect in our pictures!

Thank you for that @distracts !! I need a good photographer! :)

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I did. Was seeing what I thought was a dark spot which had me concerned. I thought vs1 should be eye clean. I think I may be confusing obstruction with inclusion. So now I am confused. Of course all the perfect stones on pricescope add to self doubt. As a first timer I am not sure what to think. I want to get a great stone of course. Yuketiel says it is eye clean.

Hi Mlh,
What sort of lighting were you looking at the diamond in? e.g. spot lighting or in a room with only downlights - or in shaded daylight on a cloudy day - etc????
What were you wearing? If you had a black pocket on a white shirt or blouse then you could get a dark spot.
What is your eyesight? e.g can you focus from closer than 6 inches, or only more than 12 inches - were you wearing specs - please test your close up viewing distance with a ruler or tape.

There are soooo many factors that might have made that stone appear to have a dark spot.

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Mlh,
What sort of lighting were you looking at the diamond in? e.g. spot lighting or in a room with only downlights - or in shaded daylight on a cloudy day - etc????
What were you wearing? If you had a black pocket on a white shirt or blouse then you could get a dark spot.
What is your eyesight? e.g can you focus from closer than 6 inches, or only more than 12 inches - were you wearing specs - please test your close up viewing distance with a ruler or tape.

There are soooo many factors that might have made that stone appear to have a dark spot.

Thank you so much for responding @Garry H (Cut Nut) !! I honestly didn't realize that. I will test it! I did see it in various settings but didn't realize so many different factors impact the look of the stone. I really am new to all of this! Btw, it scores a .70 on the hca.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results