shape
carat
color
clarity

Recommendations for someone to look at my stone

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all--does anyone have a recommendation for someone in NYC to look at my stone in the setting to see whether there is any obstruction? I am in the 30 day window and want to make sure it looks ok.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Every diamond shows obstruction.
Your head and body or other things blocks light to the diamond obstructing it.
How it reacts to obstruction, when, where and how much is the question.
Up close where the details can be picked out it forms patterns and areas of contrast and is a significant factor in scintillation.
To much and it looks dark, not enough it can look boring.
At longer distance where the eye can not distinguish smaller details it can make the diamond look dark.
The ideal is some reaction to obstruction at lose range and not a lot at longer distances.
In general at full arm length the reaction to obstruction from the viewer should be minimal.
At half arm length and closer there is some reaction.

What are the details of your stone?
What shape and the numbers from the report or the report number?
Do you have any images?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock
Here are 2 pictures in the setting 728462 20191218_161612.jpg

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
ts showing more obstruction in the pictures than some.
Looks like it may have some shallow mains under 40.5 and atlest one set of lowers with some twist.
Not a train wreck but has some effect.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
2nd hand pic above shows it.
It is showing dark areas more than some might.

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you @Karl_K ! I thought so. I am not crazy!

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock
@Karl_K I was told the setting could be ruined if I replace the stone. Is that true?

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock
@Karl_K Could it be a reflection of the setting?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Karl_K Could it be a reflection of the setting?

no, its a reflection of the camera in this case but without the camera it would be a refection of your head.(not as dark but noticeable)

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ask for an explanation on why it can not be reset with a simular size stone.
I dont see why its an issue but im not a benchman.

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you @Karl_K . I appreciate your feedback. Just so I am clear, the camera or my face were causing the darkness? Should I be concerned and seek out a replacement if all stones do this to some extent. Does this mean not eye clean btw? First time diamond owner :)

Last edited:

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
I hesitate to say this since some of us are said to be steering people to super ideal stones only, but you seem very sensitive to cut quality. So it might be good for you to compare your stone to a super ideal one to see if you can see a difference, and which one you prefer. You could probably have one of the super ideal vendors ship a stone to an appraiser near you so you can do a comparison,

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock
Hi @coda72 . Thanks for the suggestion!

Reactions: AV_

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you @Karl_K . I appreciate your feedback. Just so I am clear, the camera or my face were causing the darkness? Should I be concerned and seek out a replacement if all stones do this to some extent. Does this mean not eye clean btw? First time diamond owner :)
In the bottom picture where the camera is at is where the diamond is trying to draw light from.
The same happens with your face/hair/body when looking at the stone.

Eye clean mans the inclusions not being visible to the naked eye.
I cant answer that from a photo.

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for the reply @Karl_K ! Your comment about not being a train wreck rattled me a bit. Not sure how concerned I should be. I am confused. Is it necessary to get a full appraisal if I just want a second pair of eyes to see the stone in person? Thank you again for taking the time to answer my questions!!!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you for the reply @Karl_K ! Your comment about not being a train wreck rattled me a bit. Not sure how concerned I should be. I am confused. Is it necessary to get a full appraisal if I just want a second pair of eyes to see the stone in person? Thank you again for taking the time to answer my questions!!!
2nd set of eyes but may have to pay for full appraisal to get it. Talk to them about it and they may discount.
Lets try another path.
Do you love the stone?

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock
I did. Was seeing what I thought was a dark spot which had me concerned. I thought vs1 should be eye clean. I think I may be confusing obstruction with inclusion. So now I am confused. Of course all the perfect stones on pricescope add to self doubt. As a first timer I am not sure what to think. I want to get a great stone of course. Yuketiel says it is eye clean.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did. Was seeing what I thought was a dark spot which had me concerned. I thought vs1 should be eye clean. I think I may be confusing obstruction with inclusion. So now I am confused. Of course all the perfect stones on pricescope add to self doubt. As a first timer I am not sure what to think. I want to get a great stone of course. Yuketiel says it is eye clean.

I think you are confusing obstruction (which is basically your stone not getting "enough" light to sparkle due to light being blocked). This will happen in all stones to an extent as @Karl_K said, but some stones will have it happen more than others (see @Karl_K 's explanations above).

Inclusions have nothing to do with an object blocking light--they are actual spots/marks in the stone itself (you'll sometimes see what looks like "specs" on a stone that is an inclusion). For a really extreme example, look at "salt and pepper" diamonds. The below is a "blown up" picture of a diamond with lots of inclusions.

Diamond-Inclusions-in-Brilliant-Cut-Diamond.jpg

So inclusions and obstruction are very different, but I totally understand being overwhelmed by all the terminology!

There are lots of threads about obstruction on PS. Here's one where @John Pollard and others discuss it with pictures, etc. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-to-understand-diamond.238450/

EDIT. I shouldn't have said that inclusions have "nothing to do with light being blocked", because that isn't accurate. But I was trying to make the difference as clear as possible.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
ok let me see if I can help.
Inclusions are things in the diamond itself.
They are part of the diamond.
Eye clean means those inclusions can not be seen by the naked eye. A properly graded vs1 is almost always eye clean.

Obstruction refers to the diamond drawing light from areas that something is obstructing(blocking) the light from hitting the diamond to light up those areas.

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much for explaining this to me @Karl_K , and @lovedogs !! ( I absolutely love dogs!!) So based on all of this, does it seem like the obstruction is bad on this stone ?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have a hard time calling it bad but it is less perfect than some. There are a lot of worse ones out there.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Karl_K here is a link to @Mlh's original thread with images, etc.

Proportions was 57 table, 61.2 depth, 34 crown & 40.6 pavilion. Images were not perfect, but pretty good. Also, has painting/digging around the girdle.

Just my 2 cents....you're barely into ownership of this stone and not happy with it. As you learn more, I don't foresee that changing. I'd take advantage of the return period and find a stone that you love and doesn't make you wonder what's wrong.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
@sledge yea saw that, that is what the shallow mains and twisted lowers comment above is based on.
Anytime you see a fairly large diffrence between one or 2 sets of arrown shafts that most often means there is twist in the lowers and likely a wide ranging pavilion angle.
Green circled area compared to the rest of the other areas between the arrow shafts.
twist.jpg

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@sledge yea saw that, that is what the shallow mains and twisted lowers comment above is based on.
Anytime you see a fairly large diffrence between one or 2 sets of arrown shafts that most often means there is twist in the lowers and likely a wide ranging pavilion angle.
Green circled area compared to the rest of the other areas between the arrow shafts.
twist.jpg

It's getting late here, I need to put down the laptop, lol. I just noticed where I re-linked to the original thread that was already linked upstream. Sorry about that.

As always, I enjoy a thread like this where we dissect things and I can learn more. Thank you! Initially I had noticed the obstruction in the table, but missed the twisted lowers.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results