shape
carat
color
clarity

Recommendation on finding / replicating RB w/baguette side stone setting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

wwjthink

Rough_Rock
I''m totally new the world of jewelry and my new fiancee and I are looking for a setting to replace the "temporary" one I presented to her when I proposed. :) (We have a RB center stone we already love and just need a setting.) So far she hasn''t liked many settings she''s seen but yesterday she really fell in love with a setting having two tapered baguette sidestones. It''s a Martin Flyer style 114013 (according to our local jeweler). I think this is a discontinued style since on the Martin Flyer site I could only find style 4209FFCXWR that closely approximates with the addition of pave, which was not on the ring we tried on. See link / pics below for the style offered now by MF and the pic of the ring we tried. She does not care about the pave. This seems like a very common design that we should be able to find anywhere... Can anyone recommend a good source for a setting very similar to the one we found? MF was charging $5250 (+ tax!) but I don''t think that for such a simple setting that amount is warranted! We are looking at the platinum setting and each side baguette is .25 ct. Her center RB is 1.61 ct. If you do not know of a good source that already sells something similar, then would you recommend having a similar style custom made? Does anyone have experience with Good Old Gold making custom settings? That''s who sold me the RB center stone.

Here''s the link to the current MF style 4209FFCXWR which seems to replace style 114013(?):

http://www.since1910.com/engagement-rings/martin-flyer/settings-with-sidestones/martin-flyer-baguette-and-pave-diamond-setting-mf-4209ffcxwr-set-1425.aspx

Thanks so much for your help!

mf styles 4209 114013.JPG

GossamerAngel

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations on your engagement!

My *strong* advice is to call a jeweler that is an authorized Martin Flyer dealer. I''ve been in the jewelry business 10+ years and have NEVER heard of a designer discontinuing a jewelry style. While it might no longer be a stock piece, they own all their molds and it would simply be a matter of placing a custom order as opposed to picking the design right out of the jewelry case. Websites, however, change ALL the time, and especially for a designer as prolific as MF, it can use up a lot of bandwidth to feature ALL their designs, so most usually just feature a representative sampling or the newest styles they have out.

Anyway, that would be my $.02 of wisdom, if that''s the ring she truly has her heart set on. Good luck!

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
wwj, that is a pretty standard setting. I have the same one but with a princess center stone. Over 5000 is WAY too much to pay for that setting IMO, especially w/o the pave. Leon Mege has done some custom ones like that for some PSers and I am sure GOG can get that setting very easily and much cheaper than the MF one.

wwjthink

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your reviews and advice. To clarify, my concern is not to find the exact MF ring (discontinued style or not) but to find a RB with tapered baguette setting that looks similar. I just don't think this relatively simple style warrants a $5000+ price tag. There must be similar styled settings available out there. I found a few that are close:

Tiffany - $19,100 for entire ring (w/1.5 ct center stone)

Von Bargens - $9,890 for entire ring (w/1.5 ct center stone)

James Allen - similar style setting but don't like the prong styling

wwjthink

Rough_Rock
Beautiful ring from WF! I really like the profile view, the mounting and how the baguette is set. And this seems like a good value. I'm surprised I hadn't stumbled on this one yet myself. Thanks for the lead!

rockscissorpaper

Rough_Rock
Have you tried ID Jewelry? They have a lot of tapered baguette settings if you go to the "rings" section, and then "semi-mounts." (For some reason there is not as big of a selection if you just click on "engagement".)

I am searching for a tapered baguette setting as well, and have seen many options there, at very reasonable prices.

wwjthink

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the tip on ID Jewelry. They do have lots of tapered baguette settings. Do you know if any of them have 0.50 ctw on the two baguettes? I couldn''t find any. Did you choose a setting from them? I''m wondering about how reputable and easy they are to work with. Thanks!

Ella555

Rough_Rock
Hi wwj, I''m not sure where you are located, but Quest Jewelers in Fairfax, VA did an amazing job on my ring with tapered baguettes (I have a radiant center stone though). Quest designed my ring from scratch based on what I described and did a really great job. They do a lot of great custom work and are very reasonably priced. The setting was under 2k (for platinum) and the baguettes were .22 each, but they can do pretty much anything you want. I wanted really long thin baguettes, but they can do thicker and shorter baguettes too if that is what your fiancee prefers. Quest is family owned with 3 brothers that work there and they are all really nice and so easy to work with. We really had a great experience with them and are getting our wedding bands there too. I read a lot of other great posts about them on pricescope before going there too.

I was having trouble attaching a photo of my ring, but there are a lot of photos in my previous post about it: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-engagement-ring.104678/

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results