shape
carat
color
clarity

Recommend your books about gems

GoldieATX

Rough_Rock
I feel like all my posts lately are just ornery and presumptuous. I'm just trying to learn. Anyway, in this thread, I get away from all that. Three or four months ago, I didn't know much at all about diamonds. One month ago, I didn't know anything about fancy colored diamonds nor colored gemstones. The internet is obviously an unbelievable resource when it comes to seeking and gaining knowledge about colored stones. It certainly has some fancy photos, too. There are shops and shows to visit as well.

But I want to learn more about these stones in bed. On a plane. On the toilet.

What books in your libraries do you recommend as interesting and encyclopedic references on the topic of natural colored gemstones?

Roger Dery

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi Goldie,

Here is a list of books regarding gems and gemmology.
--this list may be helpful for the beginner and experienced hand as well.

Gemstones of the World by Schumann
Curious Lore of Precious Stones by Kunz
The Smithsonian Treasury - Minerals and Gems by White
The Color Encyclopedia of Gemstones by Joel Arem
Descriptions of Gem Materials by Vargas

--this list is more technical and may not be as much fun to look through, but excellent information.

Gems, Their Sources, Descriptions and Identification; Webster & Anderson
Gems by Michael O'Donoghue
GIA's Gem Identification Laboratory Manual
GIA’s Gem Identification Charts, both A and B
Handbook of Gem Identification by R.T. Liddicoat
Practical Gemmology by Webster
Gem Identification Blue Chart by Lazzaelli
Gemmologists Compendium by Webster
Gemmology by Peter G. Read
Identification of Gemstones by O'Donoghue & Joyner

I hope you find this helpful.

GoldieATX

Rough_Rock
Thanks for taking the time, Roger. I'm sure that will indeed prove useful.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I have also heard many good things about R. Wise's books. I think it is called Secerts of the Gem Trade.

ruffysdad

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Roger's list covers just about everything I can think of but I'd like to add one more if you can find it. "The world of Diamonds " by Timothy Green. Not a textbook or anything like that but a very entertaining look at the diamond trade, history of Debeers and the major players in the diamond industry.

Pete

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This. It wasn't on Roger's list, but should have been. It is currently out of print, but shouldn't be. It is a great book and can still be bought second hand, albeit at an exorbitant price! (Exorbitant, but worth it. I think I saw it for $168.00, used, on Amazon. For a coffee table book, that isn't so bad!)

Dick really goes into great detail about rubies and sapphires and every time I go back to it, I learn more. When I had a fire engine red spinel that had a fragile infrastructure, I found the reason why in Dick's book! It is a gem and so is he! He is relentlessly honest and brilliant. I think he went venturing with Vincent Pardieu (aka Mogok), who used to post here, at one point.

Deb/AGBF
:read:

ruby&sapphire.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
GoldieATX|1313560232|2992432 said:
But I want to learn more about these stones in bed. On a plane. On the toilet.

I love this forum more and more. It's so great to communicate with people who are so enthusiastic...and maybe a bit crazed :bigsmile:

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
Secrets of the Gem Trade by Richard Wise. A great book and covers more than just classifying gems.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results