color
clarity

Recieved my rebound stone....

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/6/2010 6:35:44 PM
Author: amethystguy
Hugger I as well as everyone else hopes it's the real deal..that clean and that color..wowzers..i talked to bruce..he said all is good..he is getting some things squared away but I will send you his contact info..he can tell you right off the bat if the spec. lines groove with tourmaline and if so if copper is the coloring chromophore..all for the great price of $15(plus shipping too.) can't beat that..i really hope it's the real deal..i will be so envious
2.gif

The AGL will also be able to determine the presence of copper, origin, quality of color, clarity. Please note RH that just because it contains copper does not mean it's not diffused or coated.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/6/2010 6:35:44 PM
Author: amethystguy
Hugger I as well as everyone else hopes it''s the real deal..that clean and that color..wowzers..i talked to bruce..he said all is good..he is getting some things squared away but I will send you his contact info..he can tell you right off the bat if the spec. lines groove with tourmaline and if so if copper is the coloring chromophore..all for the great price of $15(plus shipping too.) can''t beat that..i really hope it''s the real deal..i will be so envious
2.gif
Fingers crossed you get some good news RH.

Amguy - can Bruce do full testing? If so, I have a feeling he''ll be swamped with stones from CS''ers for that price!

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Will the fast track tell me all that? It''s only 60 ish bucks...... The big report is 240:gasp:.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The fast track won't tell you origin, and in this case, I would want to know.

You could submit it for a fast track, and based on that, opt to go for the big boy report that has everything I would want to know if it's worth a large sum of money. I'm not sure if the fast track will look for the presence of copper and that's vital as well. There are two prestige reports, and one indicates the quality of color/clarity as well. That's the bad boy report.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
nope..just for copper, LD..best send to to bruce first..if it has copper then you can do the big report as you will know it''s worth it..if not then no sense in getting any report...he will be able to tell you right off the bat if it''s tourmaline and if coper is the coloring agnet or if iron or whatever is

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
did a little phishin'' on that seller for that paraiba that hugger got..didn''t want to allude to he fact she(hugger) had bought it so i said in first email

"Hey..I saw the most amazing paraiba up for sale a few weeks ago..missed it..was it you that sold it..i think it was around 1ct. might have been another seller if so sorry for bugging you..lol..if it was you do you have anymore? It was a great blue color..thanks"

okay so response i got was

"No problem. It was me. Yes, it was a gorgeous bright blue. But, no, I don''t have any others like it. I DO have an 8mm round seafoam green natural Brazilian Paraiba (Portuguese cut back) that I am considering selling, but I haven''t made up my mind for sure. As Paraibas go, I guess I''d call it VS clarity, although it, like most of those natural stones, has all the little miniscule inclusions that those commonly have. In other words, appears eye clean, is transparent, but cannot be said to be "loupe clean." This one would probably go more in the $75 price range (or a lot more at typical wholesale prices). If you have an interest, let me know, and I''ll consider putting that one up as well.
Thanks for the inquiry.
Robin"

So I said
"Oh..robin that sounds nice..$75 is not bad at all..have you had them checked for copper? Where did you get them from direct from the mines? Let me know when you put it up please..thanks for the quick response..I thought it was you i saw it at.
jason"

and she said
"Well, close. Another eBay seller who had gotten them from an elderly guy''s collection, which HE had gotten directly from the mine. I also have another 9x7 2.38ct or so deeper green untreated one, great fire. I have no doubt in my mind they are what they are, but no, I have not had them tested for copper. It certainly would support selling them on eBay if I did. GIA certification is twice the price I just told you I''d probably sell it for. That one was specified as "old mine" Paraiba. I''ll let you know if I put those up this weekend.
Robin"

Here is the thing..i few weeks ago i got a red beryl from a friend who told me it was cut by a lady who lives in utah who found the rough at the mine years ago..well stone was sent foir testing..guess what glass filled ruby..told my buddy..then he reveals to me he got it from another ebay seller and thats what they told him..lol..so he had this stone for 3 years thinking it was red beryl and it was a lead fglass filled ruby..got my money back but he didn''t..lol..I do n''t think it looks good for you hugger..i really hope it does..if anything if it did come from the collection of an old guy then there might be a chance but..here is where it gest weird..she says the one you got was specified as "old mine" paraiba..if it''s nigerian then don''t think "old mine" applies as i am not sure but the oyo and Edeko mines are not that old or were not found very long ago.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
this is the phrase that scares me the most
"I have no doubt in my mind they are what they are, but no, I have not had them tested for copper"

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Interesting thread... I have nothing to add other than to say that it''s very pretty!

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful stone.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Interesting convo ammy! Lol. I know it''s tourmaline, and Its a pretty blue color. I didn''t buy it expecting the hope diamond or some Brazilian paraiba, bought it because it''s a pretty blue tourmaline and that''s what I got. If it turns out to be anything better then thats just a bonus.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
For some reason i get the feeling it''s one of those "didn''t know what i had stones" thats why price was so good..i hope thats true..if it is..i will give you $100 for it hugger.
9.gif
9.gif

Fingers crossed
1.gif

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Haha wouldn''t that be nice. She is selling stones for cheap anyway. A 5 ct morganite for 45$ (I think). That''s not bad at all!
And I will have to respectfully decline your offer ammy. Lol.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
It''s a beautiful stone and I''ll be paying attention to this thread for further info. However, I ran into a discussion on a certain gemology forum where the admin states he has info of tourmaline being synthesized. I just don''t know if I would be allowed to link to that thread (or even that forum).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/7/2010 9:26:09 AM
Author: ma re
It''s a beautiful stone and I''ll be paying attention to this thread for further info. However, I ran into a discussion on a certain gemology forum where the admin states he has info of tourmaline being synthesized. I just don''t know if I would be allowed to link to that thread (or even that forum).
This is very bad news indeed, from spinel being heated to improve clarity and now synthetic tourmaline.
38.gif

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Date: 5/7/2010 9:26:09 AM
Author: ma re
It's a beautiful stone and I'll be paying attention to this thread for further info. However, I ran into a discussion on a certain gemology forum where the admin states he has info of tourmaline being synthesized. I just don't know if I would be allowed to link to that thread (or even that forum).

Hi Ma Re,

Yes, you are correct you would not be able to link to that forum per Pricescope policies.

Please always feel free to contact us and ask if you have questions.
1.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the UK, Tourmalines (including those sold as "Paraiba Tourmalines") are disclosed as having treatments as follows:-

- Heated
- Irradiated
- Impregnated with colourless filler to improve appearance
- Dyed to improve colour (may fade in light or heat)

None of these can be detected by any of the tests we can do at home
7.gif

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/7/2010 2:18:18 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
In the UK, Tourmalines (including those sold as ''Paraiba Tourmalines'') are disclosed as having treatments as follows:-

- Heated
- Irradiated
- Impregnated with colourless filler to improve appearance
- Dyed to improve colour (may fade in light or heat)

None of these can be detected by any of the tests we can do at home
7.gif
wouldnt dye collect in surface reaching fractures causing the same effect as dyed emeralds (and more noticably under magnification)?

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here is a good picture I took of it with my scope. Fr some reason it would not take a good picture and would make parts of it look extinct. I had to put electric tape over some of the lights because I think it was getting flooded.
It is replacing my favorite tanzanite in my avatar :D

cupriantourmksps101.jpg

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty!!

So its definitely a tourmaline; what''s the debate? Whether or not it has copper? Or whether or not its a tourmaline?

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Haha suuuuuuure! I''ll buy that one this afternoon!!

I mentioned the name above:).

No debate. Just unsure of if it''s copperbearing or it''s origin.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
hey Hugger..pretty decent pic there!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Re:

TL|1273172541|2565091 said:
The fast track won't tell you origin, and in this case, I would want to know.

You could submit it for a fast track, and based on that, opt to go for the big boy report that has everything I would want to know if it's worth a large sum of money. I'm not sure if the fast track will look for the presence of copper and that's vital as well. There are two prestige reports, and one indicates the quality of color/clarity as well. That's the bad boy report.

Me want. ;))

T

talamasca

I didn't realise this was an old post until I reached the end! So, does anyone know how it turned out?

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting prices they had on eBay a year ago... so even if thay have doubled since that time, the markup is 700%?
And Amethystguy was right, as usual.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
talamasca|1317298896|3028633 said:
I didn't realise this was an old post until I reached the end! So, does anyone know how it turned out?

Well, let me guess ....... This was never checked out by RH because as you can see she always knew best.

This will probably have been sold on as a Paraiba Tourmaline and unless a buyer was as savvy as Kelpie, it's unlikely to have been tested.

If this had truly been a Paraiba Tourmaline you can bet that RH would have been posting this all over the forum together with the lab report so logic tells me it either was tested and wasn't one or wasn't tested (and I'm going with the latter).

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
I remember quite a few threads were LD, TL, and I had some..not really issues per se'...but some rebutting by RH when we offered sound opinions or advice....I attributed that to the fact she was some what newer.... like we all were at some point. I was impressed to see how passionate she was and how far along she came.

T

talamasca

LovingDiamonds|1317318662|3028836 said:
talamasca|1317298896|3028633 said:

Well, let me guess ....... This was never checked out by RH because as you can see she always knew best.

This will probably have been sold on as a Paraiba Tourmaline and unless a buyer was as savvy as Kelpie, it's unlikely to have been tested.

If this had truly been a Paraiba Tourmaline you can bet that RH would have been posting this all over the forum together with the lab report so logic tells me it either was tested and wasn't one or wasn't tested (and I'm going with the latter).

Ah I see!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results