carat
color
clarity

recent ebay activities... a learning process

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi All!

Haven't posted in a while, was trying to keep my mind off diamonds. But recently I got a nice excuse to prowl ebay... looking for gifts for the ladies who helped me with my wedding (coming up this Saturday). Since I love looking at stuff on ebay, and I love old stones... I decided to get all my gifts that way. And maybe a little something for myself, too 8)

I'm not sure that I made the right decisions, bought the right pieces, paid the right prices... but I was on a deadline, and it was fun. I've only received two items so far, but hopefully the third is coming tomorrow, and then the fourth, and the fifth... :halo:

First up, an opal ring I got at the beginning of my search. Put in a best offer for it, and to my surprise it was accepted. I am not 100% sure it's real opal, but I think it is. I mean... it's pretty, I can see the back, it doesn't look like super fake opals at the mall... it's mesmerizing and I love it. Initially I thought I'd keep it for myself, but now I'm planning to give it as a present to one of my wedding helpers. Because her birthday is in October, and she is totally awesome :))

Seller pic first (one of them), my pic second.

1_opal_seller.jpg

2_opal_me.jpg

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Second in line is an Art Deco platinum and old cut diamond ring I thought would go to my mom. There was no auction or best offer, so I paid what the seller asked. He said he had a no problem return process (when I asked him for better pics).

What I liked about the ring was its geometrical shape, and the way it sits on the finger. What I didn't like when I received it was one small scratched diamond, one small diamond with a fat black inclusion, and the fact that the platinum didn't feel old. The back of the ring was scratchy... I though if it was a used ring, it should have been worn smooth at least a little? The stamp looked pretty fresh too. And in the end, it didn't grow on me after two days, esp. for the price, so I returned it. Hope to get my refund today/tomorrow.

Again, seller pic first, my pic second. Also third and fourth I'll include pics of the imperfect stones.

3_seller_deco_ring_pic.jpg

4_my_deco_ring_pic.jpg

5_black_inclusion.jpg

6_scratch.jpg

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Next up is my second option for present for mom. Initially I didn't want a flower-shaped ring, but this one really caught my eye. I like that there are sapphires (though I doubt that they're natural. They're probably synthetic, right? Or is there hope?), and not too much metal showing. I put in a best offer for this one as well, about 30% less the asking price, and again was surprised when that was accepted. Now I'm thinking that the diamonds are probably milky, and that the pics aren't poor, but actually represent the stones accurately. In the back of my mind I'm hoping that it'll clean up to be very sparkly and nice, but... dunno. It is definitely lopsided on the flower setting part. Shall see. Hope to have it tomorrow.

7_seller_pic_of_flower_ring.jpg

8_seller_pic_of_flower_ring.jpg

9_seller_pic_of_flower_ring.jpg

10_seller_pic_of_flower_ring.jpg

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This little pendant I got because I liked the metalwork. It wasn't super cheap, but not outrageously expensive either. I have high hopes that this one will have some presence, but in a dainty way. Just seller pics for now, should have it Thursday.

11_seller_pendant.jpg

12_seller_pendant.jpg

13_seller_pendant.jpg

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
And, last but not least, a ring I just got for myself. I've been obsessed with this ring since the moment it went on auction a week ago. Completely obsessed. I watched it, checked it numerous times per day, looked at all the pics 100 times, contemplated what my maximum bid would be... And then, hours before the auction was about to end, I finally saw the imperfections in the pics. At the same time I noticed (finally, how did I miss it for so long?) that the clarity is listed as I1. And no wonder those pics have so many sparkly spots on them! The whole time I thought it was because the stones are so sparkly :lol: Anyway, finally I saw that the top and bottom stones look practically black. Man, that was a bummer. My max bid plans deflated, I even considered not bidding at all. But then I thought... I've been so excited about it, and the return policy is good, why not give it a try... in the end, I don't think it was necessarily a steal, but i'm still excited to see it. Maybe it'll be good. Gotta get it resized though. Should have it by Thursday as well, contacted the seller for overnight shipping.

14_seller_long_ring.jpg

15_seller_long_ring.jpg

16_seller_long_ring.jpg

17_seller_long_ring.jpg

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks for looking everyone. If you have any comments on the pieces, or any advice for the future, all would be greatly appreciated. PS is awesome for all the learning.

Cheers!

P.S. if you are looking... what do you think of this stone? Why hasn't it sold?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170909197476?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

The last three pics are there because I asked them for extra pics, but then I chickened out. And now all my money is spent 8-)

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:love: :love: WOW, those are so beautiful! I love that opal ring! What a great idea it is to buy each person a true antique! I hope they're super ecstatic with your gifts!! And congrats on your upcoming wedding!!!! :appl:

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
My favorite is the one with the sapphires. Are the diamonds wonky little OMCs?

It's like Christmas at your house this week! Looking forward to seeing more posts here as you receive and evaluate your treasures.

liz

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Got the sapphire & diamond ring! First impression is quite nice, the stones are pretty. They are mostly wonky little old cuts, except maybe one or two that look different from the rest, I don't know how they are called... but they look like they have less facets I guess. Maybe they're replacement stones, maybe not even diamonds? Not sure, don't know how to tell. And regrettably don't have time right now to take real macro shots. Should be going so much stuff for the wedding right now! So two quick phone pics, and I'm off.

Second impressions -- a bunch of smaller stones don't add up to a big stone, it is a very different look from my solitaire. Pretty in its own way. Also, will have to ask mom whether she prefers this ring or the opal ring. She has first dibs :rodent:

Thanks for the comments!

18_flowe_ring_my_shot.jpg

19_flower_ring_my_shot.jpg

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
You've been quite the little busy bee, Gemfever!! I love all your finds - great stuff! Too bad the one ring had to be returned - such interesting designs in all the settings! I love the sapphire 'flower' cluster!

Good luck this weekend - hope all goes smoothly for your wedding! :appl:

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks Enerchi! I'll need the luck too. So many details still to take care of! All the relatives from abroad arriving tomorrow.

Meanwhile, took a quick shot of the opal and flower together. So different. My mom will choose which one she prefers. I'm a little sad to part with the opal, but it's going to someone I really care about, so I'll get over it :lol:

Back to the bustle!

20_opal_and_flower.jpg

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
...and eventually, it will probably come back to you!

Enjoy the bustle - Saturday will just fly by!! good luck!!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I love that sapphire and diamond ring....I prefer it to the opal, but it's not my opinion that matters. :lol:

You HAVE been a busy little bee! Your friends/wedding helpers are going to be thrilled with the gifts you've chosen! An early best wishes on your upcoming wedding!

mimB

Shiny_Rock
:)
So my main hope at this point is that all the recipients will wear these this weekend so I can check them out in person. :) Especially the opal ring, because you are in such high opinion of it :)

Also, what a skill for finding rings with a unique design! I want to learn it :) I feel like it must have secrets other than "hours of browsing".

I am eager to know whether you received the ring you wanted for yourself? Tell tell! Are the end diamonds as dark as they seem on the photos? How does it look in person?
On that note, you're right to call the ring with the sapphires the "flower" ring - in the vendor photo, it looked rather flatter because the photo was so bright - on your finger, it looks far more textured and very much like a flower.

Also looking forward to seeing how the pendant will look on a person - up close, the metalwork is gorgeous! Reminds me of Yvonne's latest love for antique filigrees (like this, for example: http://www.etsy.com/transaction/98554356).
Spill - did this appreciation develop separately, or did one of you infect the other? :)
(I know I'm high danger of falling in love with that style :))

But basically, whaa, GemFever! *drools*

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi All! Married GemFever speaking :)

An update on all the ebay stuff...

My mom chose the flower ring, hands down. It is quite pretty. Now I just need to size it for her, because she'll never do it herself. If anyone in the Atlanta area can recommend a good place to go for that, I'd appreciate it. I'll have to do it when I visit my folks next.

The elongated ring arrived. It's nice, but didn't blow me away. The three main diamonds are pretty and sparkly, but something about it just doesn't come together for me. So, I decided to give my next wedding helper a choice between the opal and the diamond ring (I don't think she has any diamonds, so I thought she might want the ring). She consulted with her husband and daughter, and picked the opal. Well, I would have done the same, so I'm glad she has it now. It's her birth stone, too.

I will probably return the elongated ring. Now just have to figure out which box it came in, out of all the boxes I got in the few days before the wedding.

Last but not least, the filigree pendant. OMG. I fell in love with it the moment I saw it. It is so fine... so airy... like a little piece of art on a chain (though it barely fit on the chain I have, and not the one I originally intended for it). The only problem is that I think I like looking at it more than wearing it, because it doesn't match my clothing style. Still, I'll adjust, just so I can wear it :naughty: The pics really can't capture how awesome it is. Or how much I like it. I was initially planning to give it to my MIL, but now I think I'll give her my freshadama strand of pearls, which I got for the wedding but didn't wear at the wedding itself. She liked them when she saw them, so that works.

MimB: I'm afraid the method to my madness is really just hours of searching... but I like limiting my searches by removing certain key words from my query. So for example if I want to see diamonds but not cubic zirconias, my search entry will look like this "diamond, -CZ, -cubic, -glass, -rhinestone" etc. And then save your fine-tuned searches, so you can run them whenever you want.

Thanks everyone for your comments! I'm almost done with my ebay rush. Almost... 8-)

And now, pics! Last pic will be from the wedding :D

img_2628__2_.jpg

img_2660.jpg

img_2663.jpg

5f0a8772.jpg

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

Beautiful!!! you and your new DH looked awesome (well, profile wise, you look stunning and in love!!) And your jewels are gorgeous! I'm glad your mom and MIL loved their gifts and your wedding helper!

Love your pendant!!!

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks Enerchi!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
What a fun eBay shopping spree! Love all of your finds!

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I haven't been able to stop ebaying... :oops: Christmas presents, right?

My big ebay purchase I posted in RT about, a 1.3 OEC with a big chip & lovely faceting. It's on its way to DanielM right now, hopefully to be set into a pendant (if DanielM feels comfortable enough to bezel set it considering the chip).

In the last two days I got two more things. A wonky OMB 5-stone, and an emerald-diamond cluster ring. Both were unplanned, just the products of browsing through listings for bargains. Hope to have the 5-stone this Saturday. Maybe the cluster also, but maybe next week.

When am I going to be good already? I actually asked DH to block ebay on our router. But then I went over to my brother's house to visit.. and... the cluster ring happened. Ahem.

First pics of the 5-stone. If all goes well, it will go to my mom to replace her half-eternity that was stolen earlier this year. For Christmas :praise:

5_stone_1.jpg

5_stone_2.jpg

5_stone_3.jpg

5_stone_4.jpg

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
And the emerald cluster. I fell in love with elliemay's YG emerald cluster, posted in SMTB earlier this year. This ring is not quite the same design, but the same idea (YG, emeralds, old cut diamond). I think I actually like elliemay's ring better, but... I think this one was a good deal, so I'm happy. Well, gotta see it first.

emerald_0.jpg

emerald_2.jpg

emerald_3.jpg

heliotrope

Shiny_Rock
wow - you are busy!!

I had to snort when I read your story about blocking ebay at home - too funny :lol:

but you are certainly finding some stunning pieces there - please do show some more hand shots when the new bling arrives

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks heliotrope!

Ok, got the 5-stone today. It's awesome! Small OMCs are beyond cute. Well... to me, any OMC is cute, there is just something about their wonkiness and puffiness.

Approximate measurements of the stones are 3.3-3.4-3.6-3.4-3.3mm. The stones have some inclusions of course. The center stone actually has the most noticeable feather inclusion, especially from some angles. The stone next to it has a surface reaching feather-type inclusion that comes with a little chip on the crown. One of the edge stones is super wonky, the culet is way on the side. But the overall impression is of super sparkle. And the stones are white, even set in rose gold as they are. For $200, I am *not* complaining ::)

I cannot wait to give it to my mom. Christmas needs to be tomorrow! :bigsmile:

And now -- pics!

img_3264.jpg

img_3273.jpg

img_3305.jpg

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Those look like wonderful finds! Congrats!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh the 5 stone looks beautiful!! What a gorgeous and special gift for your mom!

And the emerald ring...gorgeous!!! So unique! Please post pics as soon as you get it!

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks gals! Will post pics tomorrow. Can't wait to see the quality of the stones. Gotta remember to bring my loupe along ::)

Midsommer

Rough_Rock
What do you search for to find omc/oec ?

$200 - what a bargain and what a beautiful present for your mom!

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Midsommer, I use search terms like "european diamond," "old mine diamond," "vintage diamond," and "art deco diamond." When I run those searches, I try to eliminate some terms like "reproduction, gold filled, faux, rhinestone, swarovski" etc. Also I try to eliminate some of the big retail stores (any ebay store that uses stock images instead of actual photos of the item). But the most important thing is to have patience. I've been spending several hours a day on ebay for the last month (not proud of this :oops: , but just to give you an idea) before I found something I considered a truly good deal. In the meantime, there were plenty of temptations to overspend on very pretty things. Gotta keep a cool head while looking at all those pretties! Good luck in your searches!

D

Deactivated member 42515

You're pretty awesome if I do say so myself! With all these finds! Your pendant looks a lot like mine I got from JBEG!

CharmedOne

Brilliant_Rock
Love both of them. Congrats!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results