shape
carat
color
clarity

Received Engagement Ring. Visible Black Inclusions. Return?

BrittyRo

Rough_Rock
So I was on this site trying to find a diamond for the setting I love on BN. I found a diamond with great "stats" but when I received it (after dancing at how beautiful it looked) right away I saw a black inclusion when I turned it to the side and when I hold it at the correct angle I can see a pinprick black inclusion from the top ;( I feel very disappointed right now because the diamond otherwise looks wonderful. I am the kind of person to obsess and nitpick. I am at loss and I feel like i want to send the ring back for a return but I am afraid I won't be able to find another diamond (as large .80 and sparkly)

Can someone please help me find a beautiful diamond ;(

E B

Ideal_Rock
Re: Received Engagement Ring. Visible Black Inclusions. Retu

Oh no! Yes, definitely send it back.

How would you feel about going to "I" color? I think your chances of finding something beautiful and eye-clean in budget would be much easier that way.

BrittyRo

Rough_Rock

Yeah I am researching "I" Color VS1 now because apparently any visible inclusion will bother me :(sad (I know that now) VS1 would mean no visible inclusions from any angle (even the side)? What about VS2? I don't care about at 10X magnification I just don't want to see any BLACK SPOTS when I look at my ring! :wall:
Also for I vs H color am I going to notice a large difference?? The original diamond I got (H) looked so white!!
I found a couple of diamonds but have to go slightly over budge (original was 3K but I'm extending it to around 3,200K)
This is one (the image makes it look not so appealing though. I honestly don't know what I'm looking for in a diamond image) $2,974

Another one I'm awaiting a photo on (Price $3,006) When I asked regarding haziness they said due to the clarity it "couldn't be hazy" :confused:

I'm even more worried now because it's costing 50$ to return the original ring! I know that I will not be happy with the diamond and wished I had returned it [if I ended up keeping it]. I don't want to live with expensive diamond regret!! I don't want to keep doing this :(sad

These are pictures of the inclusions in my ring

another_possible_diamond.jpg

screen_shot_2016-03-10_at_5.png

dsc06098.jpg

dsc06101.jpg

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium

For me too it was a little rocky finding the right diamond in the beginning. Please do not keep the ring as you will forever be unhappy.
Consider the $50 the educational fee for learning about diamonds and move on. I know for a fact you will get great advice here and end up with a stunning diamond!

E B

Ideal_Rock

BrittyRo|1457605254|4002517 said:
I'm even more worried now because it's costing 50$ to return the original ring! I know that I will not be happy with the diamond and wished I had returned it [if I ended up keeping it]. I don't want to live with expensive diamond regret!! I don't want to keep doing this :(sad

I would see if they would comp this. They told you the diamond was eye-clean, and it clearly isn't. It's worth a shot.

Here's another idea: James Allen? They have a setting very similar to the one you like from Blue Nile, and you can actually see the diamonds so you don't have to keep blindly choosing. For example...

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagemen...ve-infinity-diamond-engagement-ring-item-9325

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-dia...-i-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-961858

If you want to stick with Blue Nile and are okay with I color, I'd definitely stick to VS2 and above to avoid the is it or isn't it eye-clean headache. The .82 VS2 has promising numbers. Maybe this one, too? http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD06764566

BrittyRo

Rough_Rock

E B|1457615491|4002625 said:
BrittyRo|1457605254|4002517 said:

I would see if they would comp this. They told you the diamond was eye-clean, and it clearly isn't. It's worth a shot.

Here's another idea: James Allen? They have a setting very similar to the one you like from Blue Nile, and you can actually see the diamonds so you don't have to keep blindly choosing. For example...

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagemen...ve-infinity-diamond-engagement-ring-item-9325

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-dia...-i-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-961858

If you want to stick with Blue Nile and are okay with I color, I'd definitely stick to VS2 and above to avoid the is it or isn't it eye-clean headache. The .82 VS2 has promising numbers. Maybe this one, too? http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD06764566

I appreciate all your help EB (in all my threads! :shifty: ). I contacted BN regarding the return and this is what they said " I can enter notes on your order to confirm the clarity when your diamond is returned and assessed, if the diamond is not eye clean under the definition we would be happy to refund the return costs" :(( I'm feeling really defeated at this point. If they consider it eye clean and I can see inclusion from the top down how am I supposed to trust their next statement of "eye clean."

That James Allen setting is "similar" but the BN one creates a kind of "cathedral" affect where the setting like turns up towards the diamond where as the JA one is just the diamond set on top (I don't know if I described that well). I don't really like the JA one :-o
Do you think I would have more luck at B&M store for the diamond and just buy the setting from BN (BN said that the setting would be sent without the Prongs [ring head]... Is that normal for a setting only to be sent that way)? I do live in Manhattan and have access to the diamond district.

Also for that BN diamond would that strong blue florescence negatively impact the diamond

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium

If you're in Manhattan I think you'd do well going to IDJ - call them in advance, ask for Yekutiel, tell them you're from Pricescope and that you want a PS quality diamond and your budget. They could pull stones and have them ready for when you go in and you could judge the eye-cleanliness for yourself. They also have access to Gabriel & Co. settings (https://eshop.gabrielny.com/engagement-rings/attCategory-ER/attStyle-CRISS_CROSS/page-3) and would be able to set the stone - one stop shop! :)

BrittyRo

Rough_Rock

acano117|1457620525|4002677 said:
If you're in Manhattan I think you'd do well going to IDJ - call them in advance, ask for Yekutiel, tell them you're from Pricescope and that you want a PS quality diamond and your budget. They could pull stones and have them ready for when you go in and you could judge the eye-cleanliness for yourself. They also have access to Gabriel & Co. settings (https://eshop.gabrielny.com/engagement-rings/attCategory-ER/attStyle-CRISS_CROSS/page-3) and would be able to set the stone - one stop shop! :)

I'm sorry what is IDJ?

E B

Ideal_Rock

BrittyRo|1457617899|4002648 said:
Do you think I would have more luck at B&M store for the diamond and just buy the setting from BN (BN said that the setting would be sent without the Prongs [ring head]... Is that normal for a setting only to be sent that way)? I do live in Manhattan and have access to the diamond district.

Also for that BN diamond would that strong blue florescence negatively impact the diamond

Nice! I would normally say that it'd be a lot easier to just get diamond and setting from one place, but with Blue Nile and choosing semi-blind, waiting for photos, etc., it may be easier for you to get the setting from them and see diamonds locally.

I can personally recommend Yekutiel at ID Jewelry (http://idjewelry.com/). Definitely call instead of emailing and explain the situation with the setting, and let him know what you're looking for in a diamond. I assume supplying a head for the setting and then setting the diamond would be easy peasy for them, but always ask. Oh, and let him know you're a pricescoper! He's great with budgets.

BrittyRo

Rough_Rock

Thank you so much! Ugh I feel like living in Manhattan it was silly for me to buy online! I just LOVE that BN setting (because it looks like my original engagement ring) I usually do all my purchasing online but I suppose this is something for my OCD mind I must see in person and examine first before I feel comfortable buying. Is everything listed online all they have in store or do they have more in their store?

E B

Ideal_Rock

BrittyRo|1457623202|4002703 said:
Thank you so much! Ugh I feel like living in Manhattan it was silly for me to buy online! I just LOVE that BN setting (because it looks like my original engagement ring) I usually do all my purchasing online but I suppose this is something for my OCD mind I must see in person and examine first before I feel comfortable buying. Is everything listed online all they have in store or do they have more in their store?

He has access to much more than is listed on their site! And the process will go much faster if you call. I think in this case it'll be better for you to see in person, too. You're lucky! That's a pretty cool thing to get to do.

BrittyRo

Rough_Rock

E B|1457623528|4002706 said:
BrittyRo|1457623202|4002703 said:

He has access to much more than is listed on their site! And the process will go much faster if you call. I think in this case it'll be better for you to see in person, too. You're lucky! That's a pretty cool thing to get to do.

Ok great to hear since I was having trouble finding even one on the sit that was under 2.0 on HCA :shock: When buying in person I won't have access to the idealscope images and certificates and stuff such as that so how do I know what to look for in person?

E B

Ideal_Rock

BrittyRo|1457624078|4002715 said:
Ok great to hear since I was having trouble finding even one on the sit that was under 2.0 on HCA :shock: When buying in person I won't have access to the idealscope images and certificates and stuff such as that so how do I know what to look for in person?

You will- he can provide all that. He knows what the HCA is and let him know you want as close to ideal as possible (plus color and clarity). If you go elsewhere in the DD, I don't know that they will, but he is up to date on what pricescopers are looking for.

BrittyRo

Rough_Rock

Yeah I was just reading a review of the diamond district and it scared me :doh: :-o I guess I will stick with IDJ and see what he pulls for me. I wish I knew what to look for but I really don't and I don't know why I feel like I am in a rush (it is really the opposite I have all the time in the world) I guess I just really want my ring :shifty:
Is it foolish to think I can find a .80 (around 3.7mm), eye clean (not just from the top but the sides as well. No black inclusions), H color, Ex/Ex/Ex diamond in my price point of 3K?

E B

Ideal_Rock

BrittyRo|1457626398|4002730 said:
Is it foolish to think I can find a .80 (around 3.7mm), eye clean (not just from the top but the sides as well. No black inclusions), H color, Ex/Ex/Ex diamond in my price point of 3K?

No- not foolish at all! Keep us posted, if you can. :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I generally would only recommend VS2 and up when buying through BN. James Allen is much better if you want to look at SI stones because of the videos. If you go to IDJ, I think you still have to give them diamond cut parameters. I will post what I recommend.

These are measurements to help you stay in ideal cut territory with a GIA excellent cut stone.

table: 54-58

depth: 60-62.3

crown angle: 34-35.0

pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9 (sometimes 41.0 if the crown angle is close to 34)

I would say that finding a great .80 H VS2 will be close but maybe a little over. Let me post some for you.

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock

Sorry to hear about your situation. Your ring is gorgeous! I hope you find a stone that makes you happy!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

BrittyRo

Rough_Rock

I talked to Yekutiel and he stated he has "A cut above" stone .80, G, VS2, Ex/Ex/Ex. I'm including the Idealscope, ASET and diamond image and would appreciate input!

_2367.jpeg

_1035.png

_2368.jpeg

_2369.jpeg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

OMG! YES! Winner WINNER DIAMOND DINNER!!!

E B

Ideal_Rock

Gypsy|1457652932|4002989 said:
OMG! YES! Winner WINNER DIAMOND DINNER!!!

Ditto!!!! Fabulous. :love:

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Someone on here once had received their ring back from sizing and noticed that the stone appeared to have a large carbon speck that wasn't there previously. They were thinking the stone was switched and came on here looking for advice/opinions. They took it back to the jeweler and it was buffing compound that didn't get buffed out. Could that be the case here? Have you loupes it to see if its internal or surface?

BrittyRo

Rough_Rock

It was on the diamond image the black inclusion. I am definitely going to get that diamond from IDJ!!! Any advice on what to "look for" when I go to officially see it?!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Yes. But I don't think it will be needed. That's a knock out.

See it in as many lighting situations and available. Loupe it. Put lotion on your hands before you go and handle the stone, so you can see how it performs dirty (will pretty much always be dirty when you wear it, sorry to say).

Have fun.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

One thing though. The crown angle is 33, and it has Strong Blue, so I don't think it's an ACA. I think it's a WF ES. So it should be priced less than an ACA would be.

It will favor white light over colored light. But it is going to be knock out. Look at it under a black light too.

BrittyRo

Rough_Rock

Gypsy|1457658258|4003028 said:
One thing though. The crown angle is 33, and it has Strong Blue, so I don't think it's an ACA. I think it's a WF ES. So it should be priced less than an ACA would be.

It will favor white light over colored light. But it is going to be knock out. Look at it under a black light too.

It's priced at $3200. Which sounds like a great price for this diamond! I don't know what you mean regarding favoring white light over colored light? How do I look at it under the black light as in when I take it home? and will the strong blue effect the way the diamond looks?!

E B

Ideal_Rock

Looking at similar specs on the PS search engine, it's a very good price.

BrittyRo|1457659121|4003033 said:
and will the strong blue effect the way the diamond looks?!

If Yekutiel didn't say so, it shouldn't. I think you're going to love it. Let us know what you think!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Price is.fantastic. Strong blue in an ES should.be fine but ask Yekutiel if the diamond is showing any negative effects from the fluorescence.

PolarBear2006

Rough_Rock

Very nice stone, well done!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Significant painting - would be noticeable IRL in comparison to a stone with classic girdle and similar proportions. I would be completely shocked if this is a WF branded stone of any sort. It's certainly not a WF ACA - optical symmetry is imperfect, it'd have a report from AGSL with note of a girdle inscription, and although once upon a time WF did venture into crown-only painting those "New Line" ACAs haven't been around in probably a decade now.
Are you sure he didn't just mean "a cut above the rest" - as in, a beautiful stone?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results