shape
carat
color
clarity

Reasonable price antique-looking cushion?

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Dear lgd friends!
I am (casually) looking at ca 3 ct antique looking cushions and I have noticed that the price for them differs significantly from "regular" looking cushions. The price can be somewhere around 2 k for a regular cushion but around 4 k for an antique looking cut.
If they were priced at 2 k I would probably have bought one already, but the difference in price from my experience looking around makes me hit pause. I
Am I the only one noticing this? Or maybe you have some advice re searching in the right places you would be kind enough to share?
I have had most luck at adiamor and ritani, while other sites I have seen prices even far higher than mentioned above.
Thank you for your thoughts!
Also, just to be clear re the title of this post, I am not really interested in discussing future prices in lab grown diamonds or general thoughts re worth etc, I just want to hear your thoughts re where to find/prices as per today.

Alybetter

Brilliant_Rock
Search Etsy. Several people on there cutting old cuts.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Dear lgd friends!
I am (casually) looking at ca 3 ct antique looking cushions and I have noticed that the price for them differs significantly from "regular" looking cushions. The price can be somewhere around 2 k for a regular cushion but around 4 k for an antique looking cut.
If they were priced at 2 k I would probably have bought one already, but the difference in price from my experience looking around makes me hit pause. I
Am I the only one noticing this? Or maybe you have some advice re searching in the right places you would be kind enough to share?
I have had most luck at adiamor and ritani, while other sites I have seen prices even far higher than mentioned above.
Thank you for your thoughts!
Also, just to be clear re the title of this post, I am not really interested in discussing future prices in lab grown diamonds or general thoughts re worth etc, I just want to hear your thoughts re where to find/prices as per today.

Well, you are correct, especially lately they appear to be upping the price especially of the elongated antique cushions. There is a squarish one on Ritani 3c that is F VS1 for $5200. It is so hard to find a well cut cushion stone. I purchased an elongated antique cut on Adiamor..3.02c H vvs2 for 2k in mid Oct. and the price on B2C was $3k for the same stone. Usually B2CJewels has the best prices. Thankfully, the stone I purchased has an amazing ASET and I can't see any tint at all. And I LOVE all the surprises as to the performance of those chubby facets. I haven't seen any antique cushions on Adiamor lately in the 3c range but you just have to keep checking. Also FYI a "Very Good" Symmetry has nothing to do with how well an antique cut will perform. Did you watch this video on antique cushions from Jon at Distinctive Gem. He even posts ASET images:
Keep looking and one will pop up.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Well, you are correct, especially lately they appear to be upping the price especially of the elongated antique cushions. There is a squarish one on Ritani 3c that is F VS1 for $5200. It is so hard to find a well cut cushion stone. I purchased an elongated antique cut on Adiamor..3.02c H vvs2 for 2k in mid Oct. and the price on B2C was $3k for the same stone. Usually B2CJewels has the best prices. Thankfully, the stone I purchased has an amazing ASET and I can't see any tint at all. And I LOVE all the surprises as to the performance of those chubby facets. I haven't seen any antique cushions on Adiamor lately in the 3c range but you just have to keep checking. Also FYI a "Very Good" Symmetry has nothing to do with how well an antique cut will perform. Did you watch this video on antique cushions from Jon at Distinctive Gem. He even posts ASET images:
Keep looking and one will pop up.

Diamonds by Lauren has a bunch but I think they are pricey.

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@ariel144 thank you!
You finding one for 2k in October at least makes me feel like I *may* find one too, just keep looking. The pricing seems so random and they move fast.

I found one on adiamor today, 4+ k and 2,8 ct.

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@ariel144
What do you think about your cushion? Are you happy with it? :)
I saw your thread from when you bought it, asking for help evaluating it, but I haven't seen a thread on it? Would love to hear your thoughts.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
That F VS 1 on Ritani is on Adiamor for $3,200. I like it too!

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
@ariel144
What do you think about your cushion? Are you happy with it? :)
I saw your thread from when you bought it, asking for help evaluating it, but I haven't seen a thread on it? Would love to hear your thoughts.

ASET cushion #1.jpg

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
That is the ASET and love this stone! I'm getting ready to send it to David Klass to be set.

Last edited:

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Elongated antique cushion

Did you put a hold on that 3.03 F VS1? It's gone today on Adiamor.

Here's another OMC ...honker 9 x11mm $4k

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@ariel144 thank you! Would love to see your stone set!

I am looking at stones with this look, but I really don't want to feel like I paid too much for it. Having seen stones like this being sold for half that price makes me think I can just as well wait. It is a really nice stone though!

I saw those omc cut stones too! I just can't make them out, what will they look like irl. I will not be able to send it back so I don't really want to take any chances. I have an avc today and like the pattern of it. Would have been easier if I lived in the US and could have a look before really deciding.

And no, it wasn't me buying that stone. They truly do move incredibly fast!

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@ariel144 I looked at your link for the 2.52 E VS1 and realized that it has a table 59 %! I have been looking at stones with max 56 % table. Maybe I have been missing a lot of stones by searching too narrowly. What parameters do you use to search..?
I used to search by picking cushion and a culet but got too few stones, now I have searched by picking cushion and a table of max 56 %....

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
@ariel144 I looked at your link for the 2.52 E VS1 and realized that it has a table 59 %! I have been looking at stones with max 56 % table. Maybe I have been missing a lot of stones by searching too narrowly. What parameters do you use to search..?
I used to search by picking cushion and a culet but got too few stones, now I have searched by picking cushion and a table of max 56 %....

I used to use 56% because I thought that would produce a higher crown % but after much searching I found that was not true. Some larger tables can still have a 18-20% crown height, so I think I search at 58%. I must have put in 58.5 one time and up popped that stone.

Also there are 5-6 new 8c+ stones that are elongated antique cushions that just hit their website...so maybe more 3c stones will pop up soon.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
I don't think that 2.52 E VS1 is going to have the best performance for this antique cut. I would wait for a better cut stone. That 2.8c D is beautifully cut but way over priced. My stone is 7.5 x 10.5mm so it faces up nice and large for a 3.02c. I saw a 4c that faced up the same size as my 3c. Interesting how that is possible.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
That 3.03 F Vs1 is still on their site but they bumped up the price to $3,700

sempredolce

Rough_Rock
FWIW, loosegrowndiamond has a filter for only "old" cuts, it will show OMC, antique cushions, OEC all at once, but if you limit by carat & other parameters it's a pretty good tool. Good handful of ~3cts under $3000.

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
FWIW, loosegrowndiamond has a filter for only "old" cuts, it will show OMC, antique cushions, OEC all at once, but if you limit by carat & other parameters it's a pretty good tool. Good handful of ~3cts under $3000.

Thank you! Interesting, I had never heard of that site. Unfortunately the server seems slow or something may be wrong on my end, but I can't seem to get anywhere when I search for stones... The page just keeps loading. Will look into this more later.

Kasey Bug

Shiny_Rock
If you wait until after Christmas, prices will probably dip a bit but be prepared for them to go up before Valentine’s Day and Mother’s Day. Good luck

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results