shape
carat
color
clarity

Reasonable offer for these OEC earrings?

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The small stones are .10 each and the larger stones are .70 each. They are H/SI2, supposedly eye clean from 6 inches away. What do you think is a fair price for these earrings? Thanks!

what2.jpg

what%20would%20you%20pay.jpg

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Anything between 2000 and 3500 would be fair, I think. Of course I hope you get them for 2k. :))

ETA- the one on the left does look like it has a smattering of carbon. Probably fine for earrings but could be a bargaining point.

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
They are stunning, JbEG had a pair very similar, but larger, that I just missed out on by 48 hours.
I'd say around $3,000 would be a good price but I'd offer less to test the waters, it's a very popular style and I have seen them fetch much higher prices than their "worth".
I hope you get them!

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bid on a pair and won of OEC .74 and .75 I and J color VS2 and SI1.... for $2,700..... for an example...

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
I'd also ask the dealer if the one earring is bent, because in their other pictures on the actual listing it shows it twisted also...could be something to negotiate over if so.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks Kelpie, Mayk and Maplefemme! I may pass for now, since the asking price is quite high.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those are beautiful!

Even 3k sounds really high to me, though. Maybe I've just not caught up to "new" diamond/metal prices... judging by Mayk's recent purchase that may be the case!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
They are asking close to $4K for these earrings, which I thought was ridiculous. That's why I posted this question. I wasn't sure who's expectations were off, mine or theirs! :lol:

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The auction I bid on (best offer) was asking $5,500... I started at $2,300 and ended up at $2,700.00.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks Mayk...maybe I'll make a low bid and see what happens. :naughty:

ETA: offered $2500 and they passed. they said that someone else offered $3K and they passed. Oh well, I guess it wasn't meant to be.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am having a lot of trouble with the recent diamond prices. I have no clue what's reasonable anymore. I took a 2-3 year break from buying diamonds of any kind after my last earrings and suddenly they are double the price I expected! I recently bought a 0.76 carat European Cut and paid nearly $1,550 for it. 2-3 years ago I would have paid max of $1,000. I'm still trying to figure out if I want to keep it and if I got a good deal on it! I need it's match to make earrings - though I was hoping to spend a max of $2,500 on earrings including settings when I first started on this project (and before I started looking after the price rises). Crazy!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If you got a .76 OEC for $1550, you got a pretty good price. I'm trying to make a set of earrings too and I'm not sure that it's going to happen. I may be contacting JBEG about their OEC sims. :((

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
yennyfire|1316202981|3019022 said:
They are asking close to $4K for these earrings, which I thought was ridiculous. That's why I posted this question. I wasn't sure who's expectations were off, mine or theirs! :lol:

I'm not sure if they have them listed on multiple sites, but the one I saw them on seems to have above average prices on most of their items, I don't see deals too often at all there but I love perusing!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Care to share maplefemme??? :naughty:

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
yennyfire|1316207626|3019078 said:
Care to share maplefemme??? :naughty:

Sure Yenny, I didn't want to say until you bought them or decided not to, just in case someone else swooped them before you made your offer ;))
Antique Reflections on 1stdibs is where I saw them. I also love some of the earrings in similar styles on 1stdibs from Fourtane, Pat Saling, and Sheila Goldfinger. They have some great OEC/OMC solitaire vintage/Victorian era earrings...but wow $$$$ alas, not in my budget right now :((

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like them. I'd have them sent to an appraiser to see if they check out.

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
Yenny - I don't know if you remember my OEC studs, but they are of lower colour than the ones that you posted (K-L-M range) but bigger (~6mm/90pt each) and with what appears to be better clarity (at ~5 inches I can pick out 1 tiny carbon spot from the side in one of them) and I paid $1900 for them a year ago. I know prices have gone up by a hefty chunk since then, and I know I was insanely lucky, but I think that if you hunt around you can do much better price-wise.

I have bought several stones in the 50-70pt range in the last 12 months (all carefully pulled from eBay) and paid $900 for the dearest one (a ~L VS1 with the most perfect faceting I have ever seen). That said I would pay more for a well-matched pair as it is nigh on impossible to match them yourself online.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1316196778|3018954 said:
Those are beautiful!

Even 3k sounds really high to me, though. Maybe I've just not caught up to "new" diamond/metal prices... judging by Mayk's recent purchase that may be the case!
Yeah ditto. This size of OEC I don't look at prices for much, so it could definitely be that I'm just not caught up on pricing...

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Mayk, I'm really looking for OECs...those appear to be modern RBs to me??

Maplefemme, 1st dibs is where they are listed for $3800. It's in budget (sort of), but I just got an .75 OEC on eBay for $350 (it's on it's way to Ari at SS to see if the chip it has can be hidden). So, I'm having a hard time stomaching $3800 for a pair.

Pancake, I think I'm going to follow your lead and be patient. Eventually, I'll find it's mate. :loopy:

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whoops...you are correct... Sorry...

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
yennyfire|1316258437|3019406 said:

Maplefemme, 1st dibs is where they are listed for $3800. It's in budget (sort of), but I just got an .75 OEC on eBay for $350 (it's on it's way to Ari at SS to see if the chip it has can be hidden). So, I'm having a hard time stomaching $3800 for a pair.

Pancake, I think I'm going to follow your lead and be patient. Eventually, I'll find it's mate. :loopy:

I know where you're coming from, it's a hard pill to swallow when you know you can do so much better building a pair stone by stone, but it requires patience, I personally struggle with that virtue ;-)
Do you have pics of the one you sent to Ari?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I'd wait. The great thing about earrings is when you wear them your head is between them. So they don't have to be a perfect match. I have a 5.2 mm OEC I want a match for and I've found a few already... I'm just holding my funds in reserve for another potential project. As long as the diamonds are close enough in size and color and visual impact, it will be close enough for me.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That was my thought too Gypsy, which is why I was hoping to be able to piecemeal a pair together if I was patient. However, I'm getting a bit discouraged by rising prices and nervous that I won't end up with a matched pair. ;(

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought roughly 7 stones the first time I attempted to match OECs. And I got a really good match in the end. As I'd gotten such a good deal on the stones I was able to sell most on for around the price I paid for them if they didn't have good return policies. That's my plan this time as well if I end up with more than 2 stones.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1316271959|3019466 said:

I'd wait. The great thing about earrings is when you wear them your head is between them. So they don't have to be a perfect match. I have a 5.2 mm OEC I want a match for and I've found a few already... I'm just holding my funds in reserve for another potential project. As long as the diamonds are close enough in size and color and visual impact, it will be close enough for me.

Big ditto on that.

I wanted bigger OEC studs... I saved quite a bit waiting for each stone individually. Of course, as you say, I had to *wait* for the right stone, haggle on the prices w/ two vendors, *wait* for the stone to be sent to me and see if it's a decent match... in the end I definitely saved a bundle over what I would have had I tried to buy a pair, though.

The difference of course is that I want studs - settings are about as basic as it gets. The settings your considering look pretty ornate, I'm guessing they'd be pricey to replicate - wiping out any savings you might get on buying the stones separately...

I was worried about rising prices too, but... I really think if you're prepared to wait, you'll get a good deal on the right stone(s) - eventually. There WILL eventually be someone who needs to sell fast, and who is willing to drop to half or three-quarters of the asking price. Trick is forcing yourself to skip the "almost good enoughs at almost good enough prices" that you see in the meantime! I like to search Google shopping and Google images for potential stones - a lot of them are for sale from places outside ebay, too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results