shape
carat
color
clarity

really stupid question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DoctorZ

Rough_Rock
okay, here''s a stupid question for you all...

I have heard that the sensitivity of the metal detectors has been cranked way up in recent times due to heightened airport security. I am planning to propose on our trip this summer. Is there any chance that the ring will set off the metal detectors? In the worse case scenario, I am forced by the security guard to empty my pockets...right in front of her. Is there an easy way to solve this?

dancingmelimel

Shiny_Rock
Hi Z,

I fly quite a bit, and I'm pretty sure that the metal detectors are not quite THAT sensative. I see people emptying out their pockets all the time, but I've never seen anyone have to take off their jewelry.

That being said, it would sure suck to have the surprise ruined, and it's always possible that something else could set off the metal detector, and they'd need to inspect you. Perhaps your carry-on would be a safer bet? Do you have a laptop computer that you carry with you? (My husband takes his on every trip.
loopy.gif
) Maybe there's a good spot to stash it in with the computer....somewhere that it will be hidden when you take out the laptop to go through the xray. Putting it with another valuable item might be a plus as it gives you an excuse to be paranoid about it. And of course, you can move it to a pocket if you wish once you've gone throught security and you have a moment alone.

Congratulations and best of luck!

-Melissa

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
We just flew and I didn't have to take off my plat e-ring. Also the security guard told my fiance he didnt have to take off his ring and bracelet if we remember correctly. It depends though too on the level of 'alert' at the time you are flying. We flew during orange alert I believe...so it was pretty serious. But my ring didnt set it off and I don't think his basic jewelry did either. Watch and all that has to come off. So you could probably get away with it in your pocket just fine. Or around your neck on a thin necklace?? She wouldn't see that? My fiance never has to take off his.

Or laptop case is a great idea, or a bag you have to put through the belt scanner anyway. They will be able to see it's nothing dangerous most likely.

DoctorZ

Rough_Rock
thanks for the advice. I'll let you know how it goes...

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I just got back from NYC a week and a half ago. I took off the platinum ring I wear on my right hand and tucked it into my wallet so it and my purse could go through the X-ray. I left my white gold wedding set on and it didn't set off the metal detector. Your ring *may* not set off the detector, but I agree that to be safe I'd put it in a carry-on.

dancingmelimel

Shiny_Rock
Just remember that if you bring a laptop they will make you take it out and place it on the conveyor belt separately, so the ring should be tucked somewhere where it won't show or fall out when you remove the laptop from its case. (Laptop cases are full of little velcro pouches for cords and such, so I would think this would be easy.)

1.gif
, Melissa

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results