shape
carat
color
clarity

Really need jewellery help in England

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Larissa

Shiny_Rock
I just noticed that my stone is rattling around a bit in it''s setting. I''ve been wanting to get it checked and fixed anyway so this seems like the appropiate time.

I haven''t yet, after one year, been able to find a jeweller over here. There are plenty of high street/mall jewellers but I simply don''t trust them. I''ve been to two independent jewellers, one who didn''t sell anything below an F VS1 no matter what size the stones were because the stones started to look bad below that colour/clarity. The one, who was an antique jeweller, told me that my stone (which should be a transition cut according to the seller-Fay Cullen-and another, 3rd party jeweller) was cut no earlier than 2000 and got all snotty that I was wasting his time with a non-antique piece.

I have no clue who to take the ring to. No friend''s parents have any recommendations as expensive jewllery isn''t all that common over here. The yellow pages aren''t helping me at all.

Can anyone in England please recommend a trust-worthy jewller? I know there are a few England people on here and someone *has* to know someone good in this country!!

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/20/2007 10:35:59 AM
Author:Larissa
I just noticed that my stone is rattling around a bit in it''s setting. I''ve been wanting to get it checked and fixed anyway so this seems like the appropiate time.

I haven''t yet, after one year, been able to find a jeweller over here. There are plenty of high street/mall jewellers but I simply don''t trust them. I''ve been to two independent jewellers, one who didn''t sell anything below an F VS1 no matter what size the stones were because the stones started to look bad below that colour/clarity. The one, who was an antique jeweller, told me that my stone (which should be a transition cut according to the seller-Fay Cullen-and another, 3rd party jeweller) was cut no earlier than 2000 and got all snotty that I was wasting his time with a non-antique piece.

I have no clue who to take the ring to. No friend''s parents have any recommendations as expensive jewllery isn''t all that common over here. The yellow pages aren''t helping me at all.

Can anyone in England please recommend a trust-worthy jewller? I know there are a few England people on here and someone *has* to know someone good in this country!!
If close to London, Then Hatton Garden may be your bes bet... (full of jewelers!!!)

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Where in England are you?

Larissa

Shiny_Rock
London, but willing to travel or send it just about anywhere...that''s how long I''ve been looking for!! I just can''t send it out of the country due to import tax.

DiaGem - thanks, I''m going to call a couple of them or stop by on my lunch break. I''m hoping I also get a couple of personal recommendations since I just have no idea who to trust over here.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
i recall that there was a jewelry repair "while you wait" in wimbledon station, and at clapham junction. i would call first because this was 5 years ago.

Larissa

Shiny_Rock
Lady - My jewellery needs more than a while you wait, I''ve just been putting it off. First the wedding and the promise that we could find someone in England and now not being able to find someone in England.

It''s the wrong size, needs pitting on the prongs fixed, the ring is thinning, and the stone is loose...the build up of never getting anything with it fixed!!

Maise - they are one of the places I wrote down to try if I couldn''t get an answer from anyone on here who has firsthand experience with another jeweller. Thank you!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Larissa I am in the UK and have the same problem as you. I will be buying my ring from WF but don''t know of a good jeweller here to have my ring maintained. I haven''t used that jeweller but if it was me I would definitely give them a try. I will be travelling to London a couple of times a year to have a ''check up'' done on my ring. There isn''t a good jeweller up here. If you do use them will you let me know how it goes?
Thanks
1.gif

Maisie

glitterkitty

Shiny_Rock
Larissa,

I''m really sorry you''re having these problems. I know you say you''re in London, but tbh I would consider contacting jewellers in other parts of the country - more established jewellery making areas.

Why not contact the British Jewellers association or the antiques dealers body for reputable craftsmen who you can trust. I would suggest looking in the classified section of Country Life too - they will have experience of older cut stones.

If all else fails, my jeweller is excellent and I can pass the details to you, but I am in the north of England (Yorkshire).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results