shape
carat
color
clarity

Really Need Help! Emerald Cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tomstef

Rough_Rock
I have been searching and reading so much I am going blind. I went to the LA Jewelry District and all of the naysayers there (re: online buying) angered me, especially those at some shops (i.e., Oscars) referred to people on this site. I found some good stones, then when I returned to compare it online they were cheaper, but I couldn''t stand the shady sales tactics (bring our the Rapp and showing me proices for different styles and applying them to my cut). Trusting nobody now (ugh) I am going back online and feeling like I''m starting all over again. Heres where I''m atand I would really like to wrap this up soon.... I found a diamond on Blue Nile that meets my numbers:

Stock number: LD00405165
Price: $12,677
Bank wire price: $12,487
Carat weight: 1.69
Cut: Very Good
Color: F
Clarity: VS1
Depth %: 65.7%
Table %: 64%
Symmetry: Good
Polish: Very good
Girdle: Medium
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 8.33 x 5.74 x 3.77 mm
Length/width ratio: 1.45

I am not thrilled with the settings there, but would like to see a channel set with a unique setting. I have followed the advice on this site and have read, but still feel a bit overwhelmed. What are your thoughts on the above stone? Is it a good deal? How is working with Blue Nile?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
need pics!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The info you have provided is a good start. By the numbers alone, the stone shows promise but there are no guarantees by just looking at the stats. The only thing that stands out is the "Good" symmetry rating. Does Blue Nile have this EC in-house? Will they take a picture of it for you to view the symmetry and step cutting of the stone?

I know that BN has no Idealscope so we will not know if this stone leaks light. Do they have a Sarin machine to run a Sarin report? Can you send this to an independent appraiser to check this out?

ECs just cannot be bought sight unseen and by numbers alone, although this one could be a very pretty stone from what you have posted.

DBM

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/15/2007 3:58:32 PM
Author:tomstef
I have been searching and reading so much I am going blind. I went to the LA Jewelry District and all of the naysayers there (re: online buying) angered me, especially those at some shops (i.e., Oscars) referred to people on this site. I found some good stones, then when I returned to compare it online they were cheaper, but I couldn't stand the shady sales tactics (bring our the Rapp and showing me proices for different styles and applying them to my cut). Trusting nobody now (ugh) I am going back online and feeling like I'm starting all over again. Heres where I'm atand I would really like to wrap this up soon.... I found a diamond on Blue Nile that meets my numbers:

Stock number: LD00405165
Price: $12,677
Bank wire price: $12,487
Carat weight: 1.69
Cut: Very Good
Color: F
Clarity: VS1
Depth %: 65.7%
Table %: 64%
Symmetry: Good
Polish: Very good
Girdle: Medium
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 8.33 x 5.74 x 3.77 mm
Length/width ratio: 1.45

I am not thrilled with the settings there, but would like to see a channel set with a unique setting. I have followed the advice on this site and have read, but still feel a bit overwhelmed. What are your thoughts on the above stone? Is it a good deal? How is working with Blue Nile?

just be aware that the length width ratio gives this stone a rectangularish look. That's not good or bad, just it's own look so keep in mind.

tomstef

Rough_Rock
I will talk to BLue Nile... thanks. Where can I get more confidence with Emerald cuts? Is there an online store that specializes in Emeralds? There is so much subjectivity. Andyes, I do have an appraiser ready to go. Thank you so much!

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/15/2007 4:25:02 PM
Author: tomstef
I will talk to BLue Nile... thanks. Where can I get more confidence with Emerald cuts? Is there an online store that specializes in Emeralds? There is so much subjectivity. Andyes, I do have an appraiser ready to go. Thank you so much!
I know nothing about EC''s, so let me say that upfront.

Engagement Rings Direct has EC''s in their Premium Diamond collection.
Maybe something there, dunno!

I''m sure other''s much more educated than me will chime in here.

That "Good" would bother me on the symmetry.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I were looking for a fancy shape diamond, I''d call Jonathan at Good Old Gold and tell him what I was looking for. He did a wonderful job finding an oval for Kaleigh, and he often gets spectacular asschers. So I am sure he can find a beautiful emerald cut as well.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Would REALLY need pics... but from the numbers... I LOVE the depth and the table. and it''s got nice spread. Great girdle safe without sacrificing spread... and even. And as a personal preference... the L/W ratio is fine with me although I prefer fatter EC''s with l/w ratios of 1.3-1.4 generally.

Polish is okay.

Symmetry. Well with step cuts this is really important. I would not buy a step cut with Good Symmetry, unless I REALLY looked at it, and loved it with my eyes, ignoring the report. As it is with Blue Nile... that would be a problem for me. Although they do have a good return policy.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really like the numbers on this one (again you'd have to see it)... it's a fatter EC... but everything is good... even if the VVS is a little overkill, the price and size are good-- depending on the girdle information.

http://www.engagementringsdirect.com/loose_detail.php/session/e56ba4ed0d6ffe90f8ba37f7892ebbcf/id/11324128/sz/150/premium/premium

Diamond Information
Item Number : 11324128
Shape : Emerald
Carats : 1.77
Cut Grade : Premium
Color Grade : G
Clarity Grade : VVS2
Certificate No. : 15234490
Measurement : 7.93x5.86x3.96
Ratio : 1.35
Depth : 67.6
Table : 63
Girdle : -
Culet : None
Polish : Very Good
Symmetry : Very Good
Certification : GIA
Fluorescence : NO

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results