shape
carat
color
clarity

Really considering this stone. Anyone have any alternatives

Medphysdave

Rough_Rock
Re: Really considering this stone. Anyone have any alternat

My conundrum is that my budget is not really governed by finances, but more my distaste for what I believe is an artificially inflated price of an otherwise worthless stone. I could go bigger, which the girlfriend would like, but at the expense of money and mostly my principle.

I like a real value. If someone said this 2ct stone were eye clean at any angle or distance, and it was easily worth the extra money, then I'd be inclined to make the purchase. If it's not a real bargain, then I'd probably start going back to the 1.5ct relm, and look for something closer to 10k pricepoint. Is .5ct worth an extra $5k??? I can't decide.

I guess I want to pay the "a needle in a haystack" price for something.

I will admit that this was pretty nice:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/1-5ct-i-vs2-hand-selected-premium-round-ideal-cut-diamond.html

ariel144

Ideal_Rock

this 2c looks like a nice SI2 to me. It is also a triple ideal AGS and 3X GIA. Can you see the inclusions in the magnified video?
the picture looks surprisingly clean to me; especially for an SI2. The comments say it is a "prongable SI2" meaning the noticeable inclusion will be hidden under a prong. Plus it has a nice small table 55% and high crown 16%.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/2.0ct-i-si2-platinum-select-round-ideal-cut-diamond.html

I would compare this 2c to the 1.5 I VS2 in a video and see which one you want.

2c seem to be the magic number if you ever want to resell. It will hold it's value pretty much.

Only you can decide if it is worth $2500 more than the 1.5 H SI1 from BGD. to me it is and to your
fiance it might be as well. With a 2c she would probably never want an upgrade to a larger stone.

If you watch many of Jon's videos where he comments the women ALWAYS pick the larger stone...just sayin.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock

FYI....here is an 8.4mm I color stone on a 5.75 size finger. My finger is 5 1/4 and is exactly 15mm across the top. So this may give you some perspective on an 8mm stone on a size 5 finger.

You can ask GOG to place both stones in the video on a size 5 finger to see coverage.

http://loupetroop.com/listings/loose-stones-diamond/2-dot-29-ct-i-vs1-avr-august-vintage-round-from-gog

Good luck with whatever you choose. GOG is a great vendor.

Medphysdave

Rough_Rock

I appear to have come full circle, but I started to realize I was trading some of the cut for size. I can live with giving a smaller stone, but I want the solid feeling that comes along with a really nice cut.

Which one of these two?

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.538-h-si1-round-diamond-ags-bl-104083536013

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3565116.htm

I think it comes down to a color vs clarity debate. I've been assured the si1 is eye clean from a close viewing distance. It has an H color, which will probably be enhanced by the flour.

The WF is i color, but clarity looks better at 40x. Looks to be very well cut. It had to have only just missed the ACA.

David

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

Medphysdave|1450877854|3965276 said:
I appear to have come full circle, but I started to realize I was trading some of the cut for size. I can live with giving a smaller stone, but I want the solid feeling that comes along with a really nice cut.

Which one of these two?

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.538-h-si1-round-diamond-ags-bl-104083536013

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3565116.htm

I think it comes down to a color vs clarity debate. I've been assured the si1 is eye clean from a close viewing distance. It has an H color, which will probably be enhanced by the flour.

The WF is i color, but clarity looks better at 40x. Looks to be very well cut. It had to have only just missed the ACA.

David
Does either one speak to you? Like do you have a better gut feeling? Did you get a better impression of the vendor in speaking with either one? I really like the BGD but I am biased in their favor from better experiences AND because it's a Blue.

You mentioned earlier that you were basically looking for that "deal." There are no deals in diamonds. And you can't do much about pricing.

Medphysdave

Rough_Rock

I purchased the WF. I compared all the specs against a few BGD diamonds, and felt like I wasn't leaving anything on the table.

I got a good feeling from the WF stone, and I really enjoyed the interaction with Becca. I wanted the florescence, but was concerned that my girlfriend may not, and be in a position where she felt she had an inferior stone. The reality is more that I'm protecting myself from worrying about her thinking she might have an inferior stone.

I feel like I got a nice stone, nice size, and a good bargain. Especially since Becca felt that it could have been a ACA stone. Four evaluators vote on every stone. That leads me to believe there could be some that don't make it just because of how someone may feel on a given day.

I'll post some pictures of the lose stone when I get it.

Ame, Is there any reason other than the floro that would have kept you from purchasing this stone. I like that I couldn't see inclusions in the imagery of the WF stone. I could always get the other one in hand as well if you think there would be something that really sets it apart?

Thank you everyone,

David

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

I felt the IS and ASETS showed sloppiness in the cutting. LIke I said originally, that could also have been that the stone was not well photographed as well, so it might well not be an issue at all. But the clarity being better was a big deal to you in the end, and would've been a big deal to me as well.

I think you will be very happy with it--is it being sent to you loose or will it be sent in a temporary setting?

Medphysdave

Rough_Rock

I thought you were talking about the BGD being sloppy. I misread what you were saying. oops. I probably would have just bought the BGD if I had read it correctly.

The stone is coming loose.

I was told that the BGD was eye clean and I'd need at least a 10x to see any inclusions. That was the response to my question if it would be eye clean up close.

I closely compared the WF stone with a few on the BGD site. The only parameter that really differed is that the table on the WF is 55.2, and most of the BGD diamonds seem to target 57. Crown angle is 34.9 on WF, and BGD seems to target 34.8

WF I/VS2
Depth % 61.5
Table % 55.2
Crown Angle 34.9
Star 52.0
Pavilion Angle 40.8
Crown % 15.6
Lower Girdle % 77.0

BGD H/SI1
Depth % 61.4
Table % 56.7
Crown Angle 34.8
Star 52.0
Pavilion Angle 40.8
Crown % 15.1
Lower Girdle % 78.0

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

What is sloppy on the WF ASET that will be noticeable with a naked eye? I think the WF stone looks fantastic.

Medphysdave

Rough_Rock

It appears that I am freaking out over nothing. Which is a good thing I guess, but I need to stop now and be happy.

I think it is the bulk of blue around the center, and the stray blue towards the arrow tips.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I'm not sure what you mean about the bulk of blue. The main body of the arrows? at a 40.8 pavilion angle and 77% half length percentage, they are a perfect ideal size. The arrows appear not to be 100% the same size but that could be slight angulation when taking the picture. Even if it wasn't, it is not something you can physically possibly tell from looking at the stone. I cannot see any stray blue by the arrows that isn't supposed to be there and is present in all diamonds.

look for example at the top of the range ACA, there isn't any discernible difference.
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3601956.htm

Even looking at B&G signature line, http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/2.098-i-si1-round-diamond-ags-104083536021#!prettyPhoto[gallery2]/1/ there isn't much different to be worrying about it. It really is a fantastic looking stone. I'm sure you will be delighted!

Medphysdave

Rough_Rock

Ahh. I see what you mean. Definitely a non issue. I think some of it probably stemmed from my desire of having a Brian Gavin stone, but I think that was because I trusted that they were all cut well. I tried to bargain shop and save a few bucks by getting a well cut expert selection. I also need to keep that in mind as well.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

Ok. DEEP BREATH! You're overthinking this. You've made a really good, strong purchase and I think now you're just panicking because it's a ton of money. The reason you chose that WF stone was clarity and fluorescence and overall good cut quality. To your naked eye you're not going to see the cutting differences, and personally, I'd rather have a 55% table over a 57% table anyway. I would like a CA closer to 34.5 but that's not a big deal right now. You're not getting that in either stone but you're not settling here. You got yourself a winner. So step back and enjoy.

What started this is that I noticed in the WF ASET and IS images was something in the center of the images--and like I mentioned before, it could be related to the photography and not even the cut. It was varied arrows, which is why I said it looked sloppy--again, could be cutting or could be photography. But it's not going to translate much to the naked eye, if at all. I don't look at the ASET images on a report because they're not really reliable. But I look at minutia like that in the vendor supplied images, as was mentioned in the other thread, and I look at things like that harder than other people. Often to the irritation of everyone else here! No one else on here pays attention to tiny little shit like I do. I am a micromanaging little turd. I am the one that carries around a 30x loupe and uses it on the regular. The issue though is that it sent you off into this downward spiral that was never intended to happen. It was a thinking question intended to make you weigh the option. Not drive you mad.

There will ALWAYS be a stone better than yours. Always. New stones come along that will blow them away. But once the deed is done, you cannot keep looking. You can't rehash. I think when you get this you're going to be pretty damn pleased. You'll think "damn, for $12k this is a tiny little thing." But once it's in a ring on her hand? You'll be proud.

Just an FYI since you mentioned the BGD stone thing: He started WF. Those were cut to his parameters. Try to think of it that way. You DO have a BGD stone, it's just under his old name.

Medphysdave

Rough_Rock

I certainly feel better about this purchase.

I just realized there is a whole other element that can be considered when purchasing diamonds. The setting. If these ideal cut diamonds show face up white down to K, then you could get a setting that covered up the sides of the stone.

I was looking at some of the CBI stones. Interesting......

http://highperformancediamonds.com/shop/diamonds/HPD7761/?shop=yes

http://highperformancediamonds.com/shop/diamonds/HPD7591/?shop=yes

I'm thinking this setting for the stone I have selected, but trying to have it made n rose gold and a couple of other tweeks.

verragio-infinity__ring.jpg

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

Medphysdave|1451076838|3966173 said:
I certainly feel better about this purchase.

I just realized there is a whole other element that can be considered when purchasing diamonds. The setting. If these ideal cut diamonds show face up white down to K, then you could get a setting that covered up the sides of the stone.

I was looking at some of the CBI stones. Interesting......

http://highperformancediamonds.com/shop/diamonds/HPD7761/?shop=yes

http://highperformancediamonds.com/shop/diamonds/HPD7591/?shop=yes

I'm thinking this setting for the stone I have selected, but trying to have it made n rose gold and a couple of other tweeks.
That is still a really elaborate setting to select without input. Or does it vaguely resemble the family ring she loves very much?

solgen

Brilliant_Rock

Rose gold may not be the best option for an I with such an open setting. When viewed from the open size the pav might look a less white that it actually is if you get the head/prongs done in RG. And as AME mentioned that setting is quite bold so hopefully she likes that design. If you're unsure then I'd opt for a simpler solitaire setting. And if you have no clue what she wants for a setting you could get a very simple 4 prong setting and have her change it after the proposal. But make sure she's okay with that too. Personally, I wouldn't want to change the setting but prefer to keep the ring in the same state as it was proposed to me.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Medphysdave

Rough_Rock

Thank you for the link. She likes this setting. We are an odd couple. We are sorta shopping settings together now. The engagement is less an IF than a WHEN.

That saddens me that an I might look to yellow. She really likes these elaborate ring designs. I refuse to pick one of these out on my own. It seems entirely too personal. She wants rose gold. I was thinking rose gold ring with white gold prongs. I don;t really like the two tone, but this picture makes it look much less two tone than it actually is. So we figured rose gold for the entire thing.

I'm going to to read that link now.

EDIT: I'm not going custom. That link, and CAD discussions have make me believe it's not for me. There are plenty of available settings. I'll start posting things that she likes.

She would like some design elements from her grandmthers ring. We were thinking about trying to have a custom ring like the above made, but include design elements from the opal ring.

I know it's been mentioned that opal is too soft, but does this still hold true for small inlay? Maybe in a channel, or inlaid behind a pass through in the ring, so the ring sort protects the opal?

With an I colored diamond, should i be looking to hide the sides?

David received_10153399142642861.jpg

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

I'd stay entirely away from opal for a ring. If you want to give her something opal, get her a necklace or earrings, maybe as a wedding gift.

Here's my thought process--propose with the stone. Get the setting together.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium

ame said:
I'd stay entirely away from opal for a ring. If you want to give her something opal, get her a necklace or earrings, maybe as a wedding gift.

Here's my thought process--propose with the stone. Get the setting together.
'

I have to agree to stay away from opal for a ring, even small inlay. I love opals, but a necklace or earrings will weather wear much better than a ring (unless maybe it's a special occasion ring worn infrequently to say dinners out).

Given your last post, proposing with the stone and doing the setting together is a fantastic idea. It sounds like she has some specific ideas of what she'd like and I'm with you on not trying to pick one out on your own! Plus it could be a really fun and special project that you do together :)) .

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Medphysdave

Rough_Rock

I like the idea of proposing with just he stone. I'm having WF hold the stone for a bit to see if we can come up with something.

OK. Opal is out. I'd prefer to not use styling queues from the opal ring then. Especially since the things she likes seems to not be in line with her great grandmothers ring.

Gypsy, were you recommending the above ring because I wanted elements form her grandmothers ring, or because you felt that would be the best setting for the color stone?

She really likes the elaborate rings. It's funny, I wouldn't of thought she would like those. I think I'd like to keep the ring under 3k, but would be willing to go to 5k. I'm trying to set my expectation for what she likes.

Medphysdave

Rough_Rock

Twisted split shanks seem to be where we keep landing when looking. We also seem to come back to one manufacturer. Any tips? Any other vendors? I'm afraid it won't be a timeless design, but at the end of the day it isn't for me. I thought I would like these more, but find myself gravitating towards a very simple elegant solitaire setting.

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamond-jewelry/compare.aspx?idnos=1933,3166

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I get principles. But if you have the budget to give her a two carat, personally, with a once in a lifetime purchase like an engagement ring, I think you should maybe compromise on the principle.

Medphysdave

Rough_Rock

What's the opinion on these elaborate engagement settings? I'm afraid that it will be great at first, and then a simpler setting will be on the agenda. I'd rather buy a bigger stone, and less expensive setting. I could get a 2ct, but that would start my shopping process over again. Any good deals in the $15k range around 2ct.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

I think the elaborate settings are just a lot of maintenance. And Verragios are going to take a while to get, because they're made to order.

Medphysdave

Rough_Rock

I hadn't thought about maintenance. I think I'm going to purchase a simpler setting as mentioned previously, and then if an upgrade is in order, she can shop until her heart is content.

Shopping settings is way more agonizing than the stone. I want planning to propose until out trip to South Africa in 2016. I suspect I won't be able to wait that long once I have a ring in hand. I'll be too excited.

Medphysdave

Rough_Rock

I think it has really come down to these two.

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamond-jewelry/compare.aspx?idnos=1933,3355

We are thinking 7050R in 20k rose gold with white gold head and claw prongs. Apparently this kind of customization may be possible. I have no clue, but WF is asking.

Any input? I believe I'm my own worst enemy. I think she would have been happy with a simple ring, but now that I introduced her to the process. She knows what she likes. I don't want to miss the mark.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I wouldn't get Verragio unless you've seen them in person. They are very underwhelming and look like cheap Chinese settings you see in lower end stores.

I think elaborate is fine. It's all a matter of what she wants.

I recommend you get one of these if she likes that style:
http://www.tacori.com/2565rd9
http://www.tacori.com/2565mdrd75pk

Similar in price and MUCH MUCH MUCH (I can't emphasize that enough) nicer quality.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results