shape
carat
color
clarity

realistic budget 1.5 RB?

panda_bear

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

After browsing the forums here I finally made an account as my wife and I will be upgrading her ring soon. We got engaged and married when we were young, as a result my mother actually gave an stone to me to give to her from a previous ring. It's a small stone and so this time around I'm excited to actually pick a stone for her!

I'd ideally like to aim for a round brilliant that is as close to 1.5 carats as I can get it. Color, H or above and clarity SI1 or above. I was hoping to budget around $8000 for the stone ($10,000 at the most with the setting if possible). But it seems like there is such a variety in prices on different websites it's hard to determine if I'm being realistic about how much stone I can get for this budget.

for example
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.37-carat-h-color-si1-clarity-very-good-cut-sku-556688 <- in my budget
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.40-carat-h-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-789734 <- higher end of the budget

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.35-carat-g-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-356857 smallest of the 3 but most expensive =/

I think I need a more targeted list of specs that are realistic for my budget and keep in mind that ideally i'd like to get a good size stone (her finger size is 5.5) .

any help to determine a targeted specs/wish list for my budget would help!

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium

panda_bear

Rough_Rock
Hi,

Thanks for your suggestions. Can I ask what made you choose these 3 new options presented ?

I'm trying to compare the stats of stones in and around my budget so that I have a hit list so to speak of criteria I know to look for. If you could share your thought process on why you suggested these stones that would be so helpful.

Thanks again for your Input !

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium

panda_bear

Rough_Rock
thanks very much Flying Pig for your reply. Will definitely take this into account while searching.

Thanks Dancing Fire hard for me make a commitment, particularly online. I know online vendors are super popular here and that it's likely just me that needs to get with it but i've seen a lot of good reviews for two places in NY (i'm in NY) for good old gold and ID jewelry that have locations here so I am probably going to visit those soon. Although the video helps immensely on the james allen website.

If any one else has other thoughts if 1.5 size is realistic based on my budget or specs to take into account given my price range (could go to 9K if the setting ends up being simpler) that would be great!

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If 1.5 carat size is important and you still want H color, considering SI2 is an option.
http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-7975031-1.50-carat-Round-diamond-H-color-SI2-Clarity.aspx?sku=7975031&utm_source=pricescope.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricescope.com

SI1
http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-8008526-1.50-carat-Round-diamond-H-color-SI1-Clarity.aspx?sku=8008526&utm_source=pricescope.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricescope.com
35.5 crown/40.6 combo can be just fine

I am not suggesting these stones or this vendor (need IS/ASET image, actual photo, vendor's verification on durability and eye-cleanliness, etc... are required). This is just to give you some idea on pricing and what's out there.

Getting an ideal cut 1.5 H SI1/SI2 is, although not easy, do-able around 9k. It is just you may have to do alot of digging and checking inventory frequently. Expanding your search to include crown angle of 33.5 and 35.5 (or even 36) may help (need IS image to look for any significant light leakage)
And there are 60/60 style stones as well (60% depth/60% table %), if you want to maximize white light return and spread.
Another option is considering I color.

I think visiting GOG and IDJ is a good starting point.

Good luck.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I recommend dropping to I color before dropping to SI2 clarity.

panda_bear

Rough_Rock
Great! This is extremely helpful.

Thanks so much everyone for your thoughts.

Will definitely be keeping these stats in mind

panda_bear

Rough_Rock
How about this one? for $8,350

The GIA report says
Measurements 7.31 - 7.35 x 4.56 mm
Carat Weight 1.51 carat
Color Grade I
Clarity Grade SI1
Cut Grade Excellent

Depth 62.2 %
Table 58 %
Crown Angle 35.0°
Crown Height 15.0%
Pavilion Angle 41.0°
Pavilion Depth 43.5%
Star Length 50%
Lower Half 80%
Girdle Medium to Slightly Thick, Faceted, 4.0%
Culet None

Polish Excellent
Symmetry Excellent

Fluorescence None

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
panda_bear|1455754541|3992311 said:
How about this one? for $8,350

The GIA report says
Measurements 7.31 - 7.35 x 4.56 mm
Carat Weight 1.51 carat
Color Grade I
Clarity Grade SI1
Cut Grade Excellent

Depth 62.2 %
Table 58 %
Crown Angle 35.0°
Crown Height 15.0%
Pavilion Angle 41.0°
Pavilion Depth 43.5%
Star Length 50%
Lower Half 80%
Girdle Medium to Slightly Thick, Faceted, 4.0%
Culet None

Polish Excellent
Symmetry Excellent

Fluorescence None

The most complimentary pavilion angle for a 35 crown angle would be 40.6, and for a 34 crown angle, around 40.9-41 pav. angle. A 35-41 combo can work, but you really have to have an idealscope or ASET image to know for sure. Wait until you have it narrowed down to your top three stones and then you can request ASET/Idealscope images for those 3. That is the maximum they allow.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results