shape
carat
color
clarity

Real Peridot?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jorman

Brilliant_Rock
My grandmother gave me this three stone peridot ring for my college graduation gift. It is set in silver.
What is the liklihood of it being "real" and if so, how should I clean it? Sorry- it is way dirty right now!

Peridot Ring.jpg

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
Looks like it could be peridot, but why do you think it might not be? A little warm water with dishwashing liquid, followed by thorough rinsing should to the trick...for hard-to-reach, scuzzy areas and old toothbrush can work wonders.

jorman

Brilliant_Rock
Well, she didn''t say if it was true peridot or just costume jewelry. That and the fact that it is set in silver as opposed to white gold or another more valuable metal.
I wear it all the time and haven''t cleaned it. I know- bad ring owner. I want to make sure I am cleaning it in a way that won''t hurt it if it is real.

Thanks for your advice.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I often see peridot set in silver. It''s not a very expensive stone, though it can be so pretty.

jorman

Brilliant_Rock
Oh- so I got the cheap birthday! I see!
9.gif

I obviously don''t know much about stones. I just love it because it is from my grandmother.
I would love it if it was glass. :)

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like peridot and have 2 pairs of earrings, a pendant and a loose stone to match one of the pairs of earrings. Mine is set in 9 carat gold which is common in the UK. Over here peridot tends to be about the same price as amethyst, blue topaz, garnet and citrine and is often seen set in Silver. It is classed as a semi-precious stone. Precious stones are Diamond, Sapphire, Ruby, Emerald.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/23/2005 12:18:44 PM
Author: jorman
Oh- so I got the cheap birthday! I see!
9.gif

I obviously don''t know much about stones. I just love it because it is from my grandmother.
I would love it if it was glass. :)
HI:

Oh gosh, my sister used to say the exact same thing!!!! I have a great affinity for semi-precious stones and have many pieces that I adore that are set in silver and it in no way diminishes the beauty of the piece. Enjoy!

cheers--Sharon

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
Peridot, like many gemstones, is not cheap, it''s inexpensive
emsmile.gif
...and it can be great looking!

PD00158_a copy.jpg

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/23/2005 3:16:16 PM
Author: DiamondExpert
Peridot, like many gemstones, is not cheap, it''s inexpensive
emsmile.gif
...and it can be great looking!

I absolutely agree!
36.gif

Richard M.

Peridot 3.4 ct..jpg

jorman

Brilliant_Rock
I did as you said and clean it with dish soap and a toothbrush. It looks amazing and new (other than silver scratches)! Thank you so much!
I do love peridot and hope to get more pieces! Thanks for your advice!

loupe

Rough_Rock
Several years ago, it was decided by the jewelry trade that to consign anything other than the big 4 gemstones to the semi-precious heap, was wrong. All gemstones are precious, some are just more precious than others. Peridot is not cheap unless it is pale, included and badly cut.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results