shape
carat
color
clarity

Real or fake opal?

lalala

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry, not sure where to post this.. my late grandmother used to wear this ring all the time. I'm not sure what it is. There is no iridescence and seems like an opaque white. Any ideas?

Almost seems like white ceramic to me :confused2:
IMG_4828.JPG

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a Black Hills Gold ring, made in South Dakota. Alot of the designs use green, pink and yellow gold. There are several manufacturers, such as Lanstrom or Coleman. Lanstrom would have a script style "L" marking, and Coleman is "C & Co."
The design is grapes and grape leaves, based on an old legend of a lost and starviing gold miner who stumbled upon vines loaded with ripe grapes.
If you do a search for "Black Hills Gold" you will see many examples of this style.
As for the stone, it might be very pale pink/white coral.

lalala

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! I can't believe you knew all of that! It definitely has two gold colors, I thought rose and yellow? Looks like C&co on the engraving but I can't really make it out. Stone does have a pinkish tint too!

lalala

Brilliant_Rock
Doesn't seem like it's worth very much but interesting nonetheless. Thank you! It's extremely comfortable to wear and I like the gold detail.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! I can't believe you knew all of that! It definitely has two gold colors, I thought rose and yellow? Looks like C&co on the engraving but I can't really make it out. Stone does have a pinkish tint too!
Haha! My vast "knowledge" :lol: --- is based on years and years of being a crazy jewelry addict!
Glad I could help you!

lalala

Brilliant_Rock
My hands look like I'm 90 but I'm only 29.. unfortunately (?) I found this forum and I think I may (am?) become an addict myself. I've spent the last few Fridays browsing the forum for fun! Lol.. my future hubby is in for a ride! :P2

lalala

Brilliant_Rock
While I have your attention, do you know anything about these pieces? All have 14kt or 18kt engraved. Don't know much else..

IMG_4841.JPG

gempeaks

Rough_Rock
Trade
Can't tell from the photograph if it is opal or not. I have seen very milky white opal from several parts of the world.

lalala

Brilliant_Rock
Can't tell from the photograph if it is opal or not. I have seen very milky white opal from several parts of the world.

I don't think it is.. I was told it was opal but it's very opaque and weird?

gempeaks

Rough_Rock
Trade
What is referred to as common opal is often milky in appearance and does not exhibit the "fire" or display of multi-color that precious opal often exhibits.

lalala

Brilliant_Rock
@gempeaks interesting... I guess I have some research to do!

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
While I have your attention, do you know anything about these pieces? All have 14kt or 18kt engraved. Don't know much else..

IMG_4841.JPG

They look like amethyst, garnet, and tourmaline.

I suggest you take the photos under intense sunlight. The intense sunlight shows the more realistic colour.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium

IMG_4841.JPG
Which ones say 14k, and which ones say 18k? Any other inscription, like letters or other numbers?
The first 3 rings seem to have bumpy areas to simulate small diamonds.
The square lavendar stone may be an amethyst and the square red one is probably a garnet. The first ring may be a tourmaline, so I agree with pwsgO7.
The last ring, with the purple stone looks a little more promising, but the clear stones on the sides seem to be transparent in the center, so maybe they may be glass or something like white topaz. However, the amethyst could still be genuine in that ring.
I especially like the first one with the wide band. They are all beautiful!

Last edited:

lalala

Brilliant_Rock
@stracci2000 I can't remember. I'll take a look when I get home this evening.

@pwsg07 I'll take them outside for some pics!

lalala

Brilliant_Rock
Which ones say 14k, and which ones say 18k? Any other inscription, like letters or other numbers?
The first 3 rings seem to have bumpy areas to simulate small diamonds.
The square lavendar stone may be an amethyst and the square red one is probably a garnet. The first ring may be a tourmaline, so I agree with pwsgO7.
The last ring, with the purple stone looks a little more promising, but the clear stones on the sides seem to be transparent in the center, so maybe they may be glass or something like white topaz. However, the amethyst could still be genuine in that ring.
I especially like the first one with the wide band. They are all beautiful!

#1 & #2 - JCR 14KT

#3 - 18KT (I think) and nothing else but the setting looks a lot like #2

#4 - I mispoke, it has SLV 925

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
#1 & #2 - JCR 14KT

#3 - 18KT (I think) and nothing else but the setting looks a lot like #2

#4 - I mispoke, it has SLV 925

OK------- #4 is sterling silver, not gold. Then the white stones are definitely not diamonds. Like I said previously, that ring still could contain natural stones, like white topaz and amethyst. Hard to tell.

The others could be natural stones, as well. They appear to be heavy pieces, so you've got some value in the gold. They are all pretty, but #1 is my pick! It's got a real big, blingy look:love:!
I hope you wear them!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could the stone be something very personal - e.g. polished from a random white pebble of special meaning ? ... a particularly nice white pebble that does look like white opal / cacholong - an uncommon material except for Chanel !

lalala

Brilliant_Rock

lalala

Brilliant_Rock
OK------- #4 is sterling silver, not gold. Then the white stones are definitely not diamonds. Like I said previously, that ring still could contain natural stones, like white topaz and amethyst. Hard to tell.

The others could be natural stones, as well. They appear to be heavy pieces, so you've got some value in the gold. They are all pretty, but #1 is my pick! It's got a real big, blingy look:love:!
I hope you wear them!

I found the first one!
https://auctions.bidsquare.com/view...neers-14k-john-c-rinker-amethyst-diamond-ring

This one is similar to #2 and #3 but not the same stone:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/JCR-John-C...353203?hash=item1a384766f3:g:xi0AAOSwyttZv~Ba

I can't find much on John C. Rinker and I can't find anything on the silver ring.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think this is it.

You found its pair ... !

Haven't thought of white opal for some time ... - nice reminder. I had no idea that ligh pink is possible.

lalala

Brilliant_Rock
You found its pair ... !

Haven't thought of white opal for some time ... - nice reminder. I had no idea that ligh pink is possible.

I'm learning so much! I've never really been interested in gemstones other than amethysts (my birthstone) until I found this forum. So I've been going through all of my jewelry (mostly handed down) trying to figure out what everything is. I need to give them all baths and try to wear them more often.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results