shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your CS set in black rhodium or blackened silver, please!

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am very interested in seeing others CS pieces set in either black rhodium or blackened silver. Please show me your pieces!
I have a lighter pink sapphire set in white gold that I am thinking of having black rhodium plated. The piece is very pretty, but as I’m trying to figure out my style and what I gravitate towards, I’m finding that I prefer to wear edgier pieces and darker colors and I think the black rhodium could make the ring more my style.
I would love to see what you all have :))

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I wish, but I also hope someone does, I would very much like to see the same!

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love your spinel ring @Rfisher !:kiss2: Now I remember when you shared pictures and your journey to the finished piece. It’s an amazing ring!
The lilac spinel three stone is gorgeous too!:kiss2:
These are exactly the type of pieces I was hoping to see!
I should have added antiqued metals to list too. I know someone here has is a beautiful yellow tourmaline ring with an engraved and antiqued band. I’ll have to find the thread!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your spinel ring @Rfisher !:kiss2: Now I remember when you shared pictures and your journey to the finished piece. It’s an amazing ring!
The lilac spinel three stone is gorgeous too!:kiss2:
These are exactly the type of pieces I was hoping to see!
I should have added antiqued metals to list too. I know someone here has is a beautiful yellow tourmaline ring with an engraved and antiqued band. I’ll have to find the thread!

Yellow tourm with engraved and antiqued band?
I can’t wait to see, sounds gorgeous - make sure you post it here too, when you find it :)

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yellow tourm with engraved and antiqued band?
I can’t wait to see, sounds gorgeous - make sure you post it here too, when you find it :)

Found it! It’s @swaye2010 ring and it looks like they applied black rhodium around the engraving for an antique look :kiss2:
DD8E37E1-388E-4748-8D55-691842FF4DDE.jpeg

Attachments

• 3B90E96F-13A5-4FF0-A143-D97EF92091AE.jpeg
    3B90E96F-13A5-4FF0-A143-D97EF92091AE.jpeg
    184.5 KB · Views: 26
  • F5C63034-64B4-42FC-81EC-7CA7BCDABD62.jpeg
    F5C63034-64B4-42FC-81EC-7CA7BCDABD62.jpeg
    204.6 KB · Views: 22

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
I put black rhodium on several pieces. It works better with engraving but I have done it to a beadset miligrain pave eternity band too. The good thing is that it is pretty easy to remove if you change your mind. I just took it off my pave band to match another ring by running it through an ultrasonic enough times. A jeweler can steam it off. You can make a piece look completely different.

If you plate the entire thing on a plain band, it will start coming off with scratches so it will be a lot more maintenance. Shouldn’t cost more then regular plating but I don’t remember off hand.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I put black rhodium on several pieces. It works better with engraving but I have done it to a beadset miligrain pave eternity band too. The good thing is that it is pretty easy to remove if you change your mind. I just took it off my pave band to match another ring by running it through an ultrasonic enough times. A jeweler can steam it off. You can make a piece look completely different.

If you plate the entire thing on a plain band, it will start coming off with scratches so it will be a lot more maintenance. Shouldn’t cost more then regular plating but I don’t remember off hand.

Thank you for sharing all of this info @swaye2010 ! I just dropped my ring off at my jeweler this afternoon to have black rhodium added. It’s great to know that’s it’s not permanent and is pretty easy to remove if for some reason I don’t like it, but I think I will!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This photo shows some patchiness to the silver that really went away with any real wear but I find it super helpful even with the slightly inaccurate patchiness in the photos. Look at those diamonds pop!

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This photo shows some patchiness to the silver that really went away with any real wear but I find it super helpful even with the slightly inaccurate patchiness in the photos. Look at those diamonds pop!

1FFD4FBC-D7FE-4236-832F-CC6612869BD5.jpeg

That is a very cool and beautiful ring @Niel ! The before and after pictures show such a dramatic change. I love how much the diamonds pop!

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Not mine, I came across this DK spess 3-stone ring when I looked for inspirations for my tsav-spinel ring.

DK_3Stone2a.JPG DK_3Stone1c.JPG
Oooo! I’m loving the black rhodium on this piece and how the pave diamonds stand out against the black metal. That is a beautiful design for a three stone ring. I can’t wait to see your tsavorite-spinel ring!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Just a note on replating. Depending on the stone that is set, you may or may not be able to replate and black rhodium does wear off. Like sapphires and diamonds are fairly safe (I asked my jeweler when I got the sapphire earrings), the more fragile/organic ones probably not.

I do love seeing edgy rings so pls post @2Neezers when you get yours back!

demantoidz

Brilliant_Rock
Framing gems in black is a great way to amp up the perceived saturation of gems, or to achieve a certain aesthetic, and the pieces posted prove it :kiss2:

Not blackened silver, but the pieces posted here made me think of this striking black ceramic setting by Thelma West.
ceramic.png
Also, sorry if this question is a bit off topic. Anyone know what process is used in 'antiqued' Van Craeynest pieces that is not used in 'non-antiqued' settings (they make die struck, hand crafted settings)? 'Antiqued' doesn't make the whole setting black, but I like the added contrast in the 'antiqued' pieces. Below, the YG one is 'antiqued' and the platinum is not. Is it likely also application of black rhodium?

@2Neezers's post in this thread makes me think yes, but wondering if that's the likely process in this case too.
OnPaste.20220404-160159.png
OnPaste.20220404-160148.png

Last edited:

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you! I wasn't sure that I was brave enough to try the blackened silver until I saw this DanielM piece by another PS'er ( I'm sorry I can't recall who). Her bracelet features a champagne diamond.
Screenshot_20220402-210345_Instagram.jpg

I'm sure you've been looking at examples but here's one I found:
Screenshot_20220404-070939_DuckDuckGo.jpg

I love the blackened silver and rose gold bracelet!! I’m glad you went for it with your ring - it’s beautiful! I would love to have a piece made with that combination of metals someday.
Thank you for finding an example ring with a pink sapphire! My sapphire isn’t as bright or saturated as the example, but I love this look and am excited to see if my sapphire pops nicely against the black rhodium.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just a note on replating. Depending on the stone that is set, you may or may not be able to replate and black rhodium does wear off. Like sapphires and diamonds are fairly safe (I asked my jeweler when I got the sapphire earrings), the more fragile/organic ones probably not.

I do love seeing edgy rings so pls post @2Neezers when you get yours back!
Thank you for sharing this info! I think it’s very important to know this in case people are considering black rhodium for more fragile stones. I wonder what the science is behind it with more organic stones, like if the stones would try to absorb the plating?
I will be sure to share a picture! I’m hoping he’ll have it done for me this week.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Framing gems in black is a great way to amp up the perceived saturation of gems, or to achieve a certain aesthetic, and the pieces posted prove it :kiss2:

Not blackened silver, but the pieces posted here made me think of this striking black ceramic setting by Thelma West.
ceramic.png
Also, sorry if this question is a bit off topic. Anyone know what process is used in 'antiqued' Van Craeynest pieces that is not used in 'non-antiqued' settings (they make die struck, hand crafted settings)? 'Antiqued' doesn't make the whole setting black, but I like the added contrast in the 'antiqued' pieces. Below, the YG one is 'antiqued' and the platinum is not. Is it likely also application of black rhodium?

@2Neezers's post in this thread makes me think yes, but wondering if that's the likely process in this case too.
OnPaste.20220404-160159.png
OnPaste.20220404-160148.png
I have never heard of a ceramic setting @demantoidz , but I like it and am intrigued!
I am also interested in finding out more about the Van Craeynest antiqued finished pieces. They are gorgeous!

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love black and pink together! I think this would be a fantastic look.
I love black and pink together too! I hope I will like it, but am happy it’s not permanent, just in case..

demantoidz

Brilliant_Rock

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock

MidModMin

Shiny_Rock

For gold, I've read that jewelers use black rhodium or, believe it or not, certain types of paint.

I've also read of jewelers experimenting with chemicals to antique in a way similar to silver, but since gold alloys doesn't tarnish easily like silver, it's tricky to do.

Last edited:

Neptune

Ideal_Rock
@2Neezers , how is your project going, any updates?

Sharing @kevnick80 's smashing collection for reference.

1661036907461.png

1661036954112.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results