Ready to purchase appreciate any feedback

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Flat top + a big table + shallow cut = :knockout:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you ask them if it's eye-clean. I'm thinking people could see that inclusion.

Pkkq

Rough_Rock
Hi tyty333
It was confirmed to be eye clean- based on that and with an excellent cut and an HCA <2 I thought this might be a good choice.this is all new to me so am relying on the GIA and the HCA (to rule out ) to make my decision so appreciate the feedback I have received

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll post the cheat sheet numbers for you...might make it a little easier. Yes, there are nice stones that fall outsides of these
ranges but if you stick with the ranges your chances are usually better. Also, working with someone who can do an idealscope
image can also help.

table - 54-58%
depth - 60-62.3%
crown - 34-35 degrees
pavilion - 40.6-41 degrees

sharonyanddave

Rough_Rock
Pkkq|1448319423|3953308 said:
I reserved this diamond
this was confirmed eye clean -I was also provided with link to actual images of the diamond-would appreciate any thoughts or concerns on quality - scored<2 on HCA

http://www.bluenile.com/ca/diamond-details/LD06041415

image_4008.jpg image_4010.jpg

The crystal maybe clear so it might be eye clean to some.
Faces up large almost as big as a 1ct stone and it might be bright, but you give up some fire and bolder flashes with that big table and short crown.

You'll have to increase your budget or drop down about 0.2 - 0.3mm and to H color to get a safely eye clean 'ideal cut' that would be recommended around here.

Pkkq

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone! So much to learn :) I appreciate all the information - I was concerned about whether this was eye clean - although BN confirmed it was-and now concerned about the shallow cut ( I am trying to understand balancing between too much depth and too shallow, so thank you for the parameters-I thought the bigger the table the better, but I guess you must consider the crown angle as well)
Will continue to look

sharonyanddave

Rough_Rock
Pkkq|1448384564|3953590 said:
Thank you everyone! So much to learn :) I appreciate all the information - I was concerned about whether this was eye clean - although BN confirmed it was-and now concerned about the shallow cut ( I am trying to understand balancing between too much depth and too shallow, so thank you for the parameters-I thought the bigger the table the better, but I guess you must consider the crown angle as well)
Will continue to look

What is your max budget? Are you only considering Bluenile because you live in UK?

Pkkq

Rough_Rock
I am not in UK-I am in Canada :) definitely would consider other vendors but the process for purchasing from Canada seems the simplest with BN
Max budget for the stone is 5500 Canadian

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pkkq|1448384564|3953590 said:
Will continue to look
The bigger the table the less expensive.

Pkkq

Rough_Rock
Thanks Dancing Fire- will keep this in mind as I wade through other options.i realize now spread and table are 2 different things- I did not understand this clearly until I read the comments on this thread and referred back to the diagram on diamond measurements

kmarla

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Pkkq, fellow Canadian here. I have bought several pieces of jewelry from the States and I'm happy to pass on some of the information I've learned. You should feel confident dealing with any of the usual highly recommended Pricescope vendors. Blue Nile is pretty easy, but so are other vendors, so it's good to keep options open. I'll compare a couple of vendors just to give you an idea.

I have bought several items from Blue Nile and have been quite happy. The only diamonds they have in-house are the Signature Ideal diamonds. They provide a GCAL certificate as well as GIA or AGS certificate for these diamonds and should be able to examine the diamond and send photos on request. All other diamonds are not in-house and they don't do ASET's, ideal scopes etc. Blue Nile are very easy to deal with in that they calculate the exchange rate, taxes, any duty etc at time of purchase. You pay all charges before shipping so there are no outstanding charges on delivery. They ship through Fedex and the delivery will be straightforward to your door. You are responsible for return shipping costs which can add up, especially since you will need to insure the item. It cost me $60.00 to return a $900.00 item....not cheap especially considering for returns Blue Nile had me ship to Toronto. Blue Nile's upgrade policy for diamonds requires that you spend at least twice the original cost.

I have also bought from Whiteflash. I have nothing but positive comments. Their ACA diamonds are gorgeous and they provide you with ASET, ideal scope images, photos etc. Whiteflash does not calculate Canadian taxes etc in advance of shipping. They also ship through Fedex. Once your order reaches Canadian customs, FedEx will contact you regarding your order. You will either be required to pay provincial taxes in advance of delivery (by credit card) or at delivery. FedEx will give you all the information but it's very straightforward so don't worry about it being complicated. With Whiteflash you are also responsible for return shipping costs, insurance etc. Their upgrade policy is excellent for ACA (A Cut Above) diamonds in that you only need spend more than your original purchase. It can be a dollar or thousands of dollars....up to you. Be aware though that if you upgrade, you loose any discounts you benefitted from in the original purchase.

Many Canadians also buy from James Allen, Good Old Gold, ID Jewelry and many others recommended on Pricescope with very positive experiences. I only highlighted the above two vendors to show you how you need to pay attention to the details of each company, With our exchange rate right now, you don't want to overpay, or have to return items if you can possibly avoid it. If you think you might upgrade someday then really pay attention to the upgrade policies.

Hope this helps.
Good luck with your diamond search!!

Pkkq

Rough_Rock
Thanks very much kmarla - it is good to have all the info from someone who has already purchased across the border. I will look more seriously at my options through the other vendors you have identified - although I did browse, I really focused on BN because of my concerns about purchasing from the States and dealing with customs/duty. Sounds like there are other good options! Thanks again

sharonyanddave

Rough_Rock
Pkkq|1448401057|3953717 said:
Thanks very much kmarla - it is good to have all the info from someone who has already purchased across the border. I will look more seriously at my options through the other vendors you have identified - although I did browse, I really focused on BN because of my concerns about purchasing from the States and dealing with customs/duty. Sounds like there are other good options! Thanks again

There is no duty on Jewellery or Diamonds from the US to Canada. There will be sales taxes, HST if in Ontario, QST + GST if in Quebec, and at least GST and maybe PST depending on the province. I think this applies to all vendors including Bluenile so you are looking at 5 - 14% sales tax depending on your province. Most of the vendors here know how to send shipments to Canada so I would expect the hassle to be about the same.

kmarla

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
There is no duty on Jewellery or Diamonds from the US to Canada. There will be sales taxes, HST if in Ontario, QST + GST if in Quebec, and at least GST and maybe PST depending on the province. I think this applies to all vendors including Bluenile so you are looking at 5 - 14% sales tax depending on your province. Most of the vendors here know how to send shipments to Canada so I would expect the hassle to be about the same.[/quote]

This is true if the diamond or jewelry is manufactured in the U.S. due to the free trade agreement. However Blue Nile, for example, does have some jewelry items that don't meet these parameters. If you don't see the "duty free" in italics under the jewelry item, then there is duty. I have paid duty just in the past month. It wasn't a deal breaker. I've never heard of anyone paying duty on a diamond and most settings are duty free unless they weren't manufactured in the U.S.

Pkkq

Rough_Rock
I cannot say how much I appreciate all this information- I was aware that some settings were not duty free as BN identified this quite clearly and would expect this is because they are not manufactured in U.S. So will keep this in mind when looking on other vendor sites

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results