shape
carat
color
clarity

Reading idealscope images

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jsl3g

Rough_Rock
I have read the instructions on how to evaluate idealscope images, but I am still having a little trouble with interpretation for the pic on a stone I am considering. Does anyone have some insight on how this image (of a branded super-ideal H&A) compares with the ideal, or with other super-ideal idealscope readings? Thanks!

idealscope.jpg

optimized

Shiny_Rock
for some more information from Garry, the developer of the Idealscope.

-Tim
[/u][/u]

jsl3g

Rough_Rock
The Good Old Gold site definitely gave some more helpful examples. I guess I am mainly concerned about the depth of the red color in the image, and the blackness of the arrows. I don't know whether these are just artifacts, or are indicitive of a cut problem. I suppose at root I don't want to pay for a super-ideal if I am not going to get the performance, and I was hoping that someone more experienced than myself could give me a little advice on this stone's performance. So...if anyone else has any ideas, feel free to let me know!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Keep in mind that since you are viewing this on a monitor (as we all are), the depth of the red or black coloring could be viewed differently depending on the viewers monitor settings. So its very difficult for me personally to get an idea of what the reds and blacks really mean. I too have seen very deep red stones with deep black arrows, but I have seen many like your posting as well.

I would say that if you are using the IdealScope image as a true mark of quality and as a huge factor in your decision, you would need to get a Scope and view the diamond in person to get an idea of what it looks like under the real thing.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This is a stone whose emphasis will be more on fire than it will scintillation or white light return. It appears to be of the flavor of short star/lower girdle facets in the minor facets which places emphasis on fire more than anything else (due to the fatter arrows). The way I can tell this is in the minimization of hot spots at the arrow heads and mimimization & elimination of hot spots at the arrow shafts.

This image also shows me variances in the minor facets which I hate to say ... doesn't look to hot. If you take note you have some presence of hot spots (blacks) at the arrow shafts but then it is absent at others. This suggests a wacky hearts pattern.

If you take note of this stone's light scope image here http://www.goodoldgold.com/1_26ct_f_vvs1_h&a.htm you'll note that the hot spots at the arrow shafts in the 7:00 position are larger than the rest. This is due to a larger variance in the lower girdles and causes the heart in the 7:00 ( in the hearts pic) to be smaller than the rest. This particular 1.26ct F VVS1, were I to start branding WOULD NOT make it into my brand (although I would buy and sell it and it is a rather gorgeous stone too). However there are many brands (including some well known ones here) that this stone would be sold as a branded stone.

So the variation in the hot spots at the arrow shafts on that stone you give suggests an off hearts pattern.

To view a stone that is similar to yours you may want to check out this stone. http://www.goodoldgold.com/1_008ct_g_vs2_ags000.htm

The face up position also suggests that the arrows may be similar to the above stone which as you can see, would not qualify as a "branded" in my book. Before you shell out the bucks for this brand you may want to have it personally inspected by an expert in this field to confirm the info that I'm sharing as well and would preferably like some pics of it if the appraiser is capable of doing so.

While I like the idealscope as a quckie hand held device and don't hesitate to recommend it to people (it's certainly better than nothing), it does not show me the contrast of dark reds/light reds that my LightScope does so it's hard for me to comment concerning your reds. That is however a GREAT amateur shot, one of the better ones I've seen under the IS.

Peace,
Rhino

jsl3g

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the additional information, guys.

Basically, I decided to shop the branded super-ideals because I felt I could see a pretty noticeable difference between even some of the branded ideals I have seen in B&M stores and AGS-000/non-branded stones. I just want to make sure that if I DO go the route of paying the extra cash that I at least get some bang for it. THat is, it doens't have to be the most spectacular thing out there, but I would like to think that it is a noticeably fine stone.

I'm thinking about going ahead and having the stone shipped to me, then taking it to an appraiser with a BScope, just to see how that comes out. But I have heard varying stories as to how consistent Bscope readings can be, even for the same stone. But I hope it will give me some idea as to how the stone compares to others, given that I will not have time to take the stone around to 20 stores in town and do side-by-side tests with their inventory...

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi jsl3g,

Amongst the population of diamonds in general it looks like you DO indeed have one of the finer looking stones. However there are unbranded's that'll not only hold a candle to it but even perhaps surpass it depending on your taste. If I were you I'd send it down to RockDoc at www.consumersgemlab.com and get the skinny on it. If you like who you're doing business with you may even consider having 2 stones sent down for analysis and pick the better of the 2.

Peace,
Rhino

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I tried and failed to upload an image of your file reduced in brightness by 70% Jsl. That makes it look more like Rhino's Lightscope images.

Was your image photographed being held in tweezers or in a plastic tray? If the former then you have found a very nice stone.

Infact I doubt that any human being could tell the difference between this and any other excellently cut diamond. I think you are beyond the point where humans should care. If you like the stone and the price then buy it. By all means have the stone shipped direct to an appraiser (choose one off the list) to confirm that the stone is the same stone etc. But I doubt you need to spend more money or time over the quality of the cut of this stone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results