shape
carat
color
clarity

Re-set or leave it as it is?

To re-set as a 5-stone or leave it as it is, or something else?

• Re-set as a 5-stone

Votes: 15 75.0%
  • Leave it as it is

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Something else (please comment below)

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have said in the past that my 1.19ct E VS1 EC is in its forever home in the past, as it took me many years to decide on its new setting and I am very pleased with it.

However, with lab/MMD diamonds being more affordable nowadays, I am toying the ideas of having it re-set in a 5-stone with lab/MMD sides.

The current setting is what I could afford at the time back in 2015, and got what I paid for, in that it is not the most sturdy/robust.

Earlier this year, I managed to bend it out of shape due to banging it against a table while out having a good session in a pub before Covid-19 restrictions. :cry2:

It was not just slightly oval - that happened soon after I got the ring - it was skewed to one side and significantly oval. :roll2::oops2:

The bench who made my bangle bracelet fixed it for me free of charge (thank you Simon Wright in London). He must have felt sorry for me when I showed it to him, as I only just noticed it when I was travelling on a train to London to meet up with him to discuss my bangle bracelet project.

I would probably get the lab/MMD side stones myself, and then send them to the bench I use in China to make the setting, specifying a more solid construction, for the centre stone to be taken out of its current setting to be re-set into its new home.

If at all possible, as the current platinum setting is an air gap/hair line halo, I may have a CS custom cut to fit, and re-size it smaller to be worn on my left hand ring finger. I shall definitely talk to the bench I intend to use first to see if this is doable. Otherwise, I shall scrap it.

Here are my 5-stone setting inspirations.

Emerald-cut-diamond-five-stone-ring-1.jpg Emerald-cut-diamond-five-stone-ring-2.jpg

Below are pics of the ring that I have always liked for its low profile and clean lines, probably with just 2 baguettes on each side:

151-Norse2b.gif 151-Norse1.gif

I shall post the EC in its current setting in a moment as I cannot access my existing photos when creating a new post.

I have one other setting in mind, and shall post that later.

What would you do? Thanks for your help and advice in advance.

DK :))

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
I love the ECs in a bezel- either as a three stone or five stone.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is my EC in its current setting - the photo on the right was taken the morning I collected the new ring from the bench that re-set the EC for me:

767562 582895

Here is the another setting that I have in mind instead of a 5-stone ring, without millgrain and with a plain shank without diamonds at the top.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the ECs in a bezel- either as a three stone or five stone.

I like 3-stone rings too, however, it would need to be with traps, as my original ER was an all EC 3-stone, hence I would like something different.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are a couple of 5-stone all ECs inspiration rings I found, the proportions are not to my liking, in that I would like side stones to be smaller more graduated in size, like the two inspiration rings in the OP with baguettes sides:

emerald2.jpg emerald.jpg

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The first 5 stone with the yg is to die for! Timeless and classic!

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
The first five stone is a knockout, but I would be very hesitant to reset such a significant/beloved piece. Try to think of yourself in a year, five years — is the reset your lasting style? Would you reach for it as often? More often? Think of what’s special about your ring, is it only the stone you’re sentimental about? Would you miss this ring? Is the desire for a five-stone representative of a major hole in your jewelry wardrobe, or an of-the-moment trend/whim? And if the latter, could you scratch the itch in another way?

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
The 5 stone would look amazing, I liked the first inspiration photo you shared the best, with the graduated stones!

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
I didn't think I'd like a three-stone ring but the coverage... Definitely go for a 5-stone! I can't recall where but I rather like the look of the centre stone pronged with side stones bezelled for something different that lets the centre stone be the diva :D

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
The 5 stone would look amazing, I liked the first inspiration photo you shared the best, with the graduated stones!

Another vote for the the first 5-stone pictured!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't think I'd like a three-stone ring but the coverage... Definitely go for a 5-stone! I can't recall where but I rather like the look of the centre stone pronged with side stones bezelled for something different that lets the centre stone be the diva :D

The centre stone will definitely be bezel set as I am not going to risk losing it!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The first five stone is a knockout, but I would be very hesitant to reset such a significant/beloved piece. Try to think of yourself in a year, five years — is the reset your lasting style? Would you reach for it as often? More often? Think of what’s special about your ring, is it only the stone you’re sentimental about? Would you miss this ring? Is the desire for a five-stone representative of a major hole in your jewelry wardrobe, or an of-the-moment trend/whim? And if the latter, could you scratch the itch in another way?

The ring as it is does not come out often as the opportunities to attend dressier events are far and between.

The EC is sentimental, not the setting; and I have lost faith in the setting somewhat after I managed to mis-shape it so badly and not remembering how I managed to do so which is kind of worrying, as I may do it again and cause even more damage!

Another idea is to leave it as it is, just replace the shank with a more substantial one, which I believe the bench I have in mind can do it with precision laser wedding.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted "Something else" as I just thought about just to replace the shank with a thicker one, which is likely to cost less than having a complete reset in a 5-stone!

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I voted "leave it as it is" because I like the original as much as the upgrade possibilities. Therefore, I'd probably use the $$ for an additional ring instead. :)

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
While the air line gap halo is beautiful, I do think it makes it "dressier." The 5 stone ring would have a lot of coverage and bling factor, but I think you'd be able to dress it up or down more, and therefore wear it more!

sprinklesparkles

Shiny_Rock
Here is my EC in its current setting - the photo on the right was taken the morning I collected the new ring from the bench that re-set the EC for me:

767562 582895

Here is the another setting that I have in mind instead of a 5-stone ring, without millgrain and with a plain shank without diamonds at the top.

Personally I like this more than the 5 stone settings

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@dk168, the 5 stone rings are pretty...but I too wonder if you might miss the finger coverage of your current setting. And, I have to say, I have always really loved your current setting.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@dk168 I vote to replace your shank with a sturdier one by your trusted bench in China. I love your setting as it is....You may feel better about wearing it knowing it’s in a sturdier setting. You can wear that ring every day..everywhere....Don’t save your things for special occasions...I think every day is a special occasion.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I love the five stone look, a lot. You original is gorg, but I totally get wanting to mix it up.

I'd ask yourself tho - will you miss the vertical coverage the halo gave you?

I wonder if a nice double migrain bezel might add a little oomph. I love the 2nd style too, but worry it might not have enough presence as your current setting does.

i like the 3rd too, but I am a bit more low-key of a lady, and it is a bit too ornate for my taste.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the five stone look, a lot. You original is gorg, but I totally get wanting to mix it up.

I'd ask yourself tho - will you miss the vertical coverage the halo gave you?

I wonder if a nice double migrain bezel might add a little oomph. I love the 2nd style too, but worry it might not have enough presence as your current setting does.

i like the 3rd too, but I am a bit more low-key of a lady, and it is a bit too ornate for my taste.

Losing the vertical coverage is a concern, and I like the sparkles and contrast of the MRB halo as I believe it highlights the elegant lines and the big flashes of the EC more.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i still love the 5 stone like the first picture

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you been able to make a decision @dk168 ?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
An update on my EC reset!

I am going to reset it in a modified version of these 2 rings in similar designs:

Engagement-Ring-Modern-1.94-Emerald-Cut-Diamond-in-Platinum-1-380x285@2x.jpg rt-101.jpg

With an added air gap/line between the halo and the main stone, no millgrain, plain shank at least 4mm at the top, 3mm at the bottom, in Platinum.

This ring setting was and still is the one I really love to have for my EC that I could not afford back in 2015 when it was re-set from a solitaire setting.

I am pleased to be able to give the stone its forever home it deserves finally. :kiss2:

Hopefully, I shall be able to have the new setting made in Q3 this year as it is not as urgent as having some new blings made first, as the current ring is still wearable! :lol-2:

DK =)2

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
An update on my EC reset!

I am going to reset it in a modified version of these 2 rings in similar designs:

Engagement-Ring-Modern-1.94-Emerald-Cut-Diamond-in-Platinum-1-380x285@2x.jpg rt-101.jpg

With an added air gap/line between the halo and the main stone, no millgrain, plain shank at least 4mm at the top, 3mm at the bottom, in Platinum.

This ring setting was and still is the one I really love to have for my EC that I could not afford back in 2015 when it was re-set from a solitaire setting.

I am pleased to be able to give the stone its forever home it deserves finally. :kiss2:

Hopefully, I shall be able to have the new setting made in Q3 this year as it is not as urgent as having some new blings made first, as the current ring is still wearable! :lol-2:

DK =)2

That is going to be gorgeous! What an exciting reset!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results