shape
carat
color
clarity

Re-plating: how long should that take?

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
The saga of my "gray" 18K wg/palladium 3 stone ring continues.

Yes, the jeweller agreed to replate and was very surprised the rhodium plating wore off so soon (under 2 months) and assured me that was not normal. I dropped it off January 4 and advised them I'd be away from the 14th - 21st, so I'd pick it up when I got back from vacation. I emailed her this afternoon and heard that they have been involved with a bridal fair (this upcoming weekend) so have been focused on that. Okay ---- but I'm thinking, "what has that got to do with my ring being sent out?"

She said it is not done yet. What are they doing to it?? I mean, its replating not remaking!!

Am I being unreasonable assuming a replating job shouldn't be a 3 week event? If I am, then I'll just chill out and wait, but I kind of thought I've given them enough time at 3 weeks. Thoughts??

MqLove

Rough_Rock
I just had my white-gold studs replated at a chain jeweller. Cost me $30, they sent them off and were back within in a week and a half, a day before they told me they'd be ready.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Um?

I'd be calling first thing tomorrow and speaking with the manager/owner. That is completely unacceptable - the timeline is more than generous and the fact that they did not keep you informed of further delays is inexcusable.

Well, IMO, obviously.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I had stuff replated and gotten it back the next day!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, they should have had them ready for you BEFORE your trip. Sounds like somebody messed up.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The job takes about 3 minutes. Prep work takes a little longer but it's still not a tough job. The trick is time spent waiting while they finish work for other clients and getting it to and from the shop. A week or so should be plenty, especially for a job that's basically a rework of their own job.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow - thanks everyone! Clearly I am being put to the bottom of the barrel on this! I am thinking its because I complained --- that the rhodium was worn off on such a short time, and even tho the manager/owner is saying "we will look after it right away", obviously that's not the case. Man, I really am not happy with this whole situation. I am thinking I never should have gone with this company.

They are "big names" here, locally, and I guess little things hold no interest for them??? I have no idea. :???:

I replied back to her email when my sales person told me they were involved in a bridal fair, asking when can I expect this back - what's their time frame for the return of my ring... and that has been about 6 hours. They are all told to clear their emails before leaving the shop for the night. ARGH! :angryfire:

I agree it should have been completed on my arrival home and I should have been able to pick it up right away - I dropped it off a week and a half before departure.

I'm going to find out what I can tomorrow.

Thank you for the information that its really a quick process (give or take a DAY OR SO for 'whatever'...). When in doubt, bring it to PS and the information will be provided!!! Thank you all :))

FairieMoon79

Shiny_Rock
i know Jared takes an hour to do most anything....they obviously put priority on things that were bought there, but its never taken more than 24 hours for any repairs i have ever had them do.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is crazy long! I have never had a re-plating job take more than same day/next day. And I agree with Jared repairs...I have never had to wait more than 2 hours on a stone setting, sizing or re-plating job, and their repair work is usually very well done. Hopefully you will get your piece back soon!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just off the phone - still not in today. They will call the goldsmith tomorrow to see what the hold up is.

:confused:

OCmom3xboys

Shiny_Rock
Uggh, so sorry about what you are experiencing and I hope you get your ring back soon.

I was just at my jeweler earlier today, had sizing balls put in my new ring and had my eternity rodium dipped while I watched, I was in and out and 15 minutes

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
OCmom3xboys|1327450097|3110883 said:
Uggh, so sorry about what you are experiencing and I hope you get your ring back soon.

I was just at my jeweler earlier today, had sizing balls put in my new ring and had my eternity rodium dipped while I watched, I was in and out and 15 minutes

Impressive! I am envious of that service!!! Being with out my ring is making me lust over all the other bling on these forums, and discovering 'wants' I didn't realize I had! ... my credit card is trying to sneak deeper into my wallet so it won't be noticed.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
FairieMoon79|1327378333|3110224 said:
i know Jared takes an hour to do most anything....they obviously put priority on things that were bought there, but its never taken more than 24 hours for any repairs i have ever had them do.

FairieMoon79, thanks for posting that! There is a Jared near my house (and probably a lot of other posters). I've never considered them for repairs or replating. Do you know if most Jareds are custom service oriented, or do you think the one near you is especially good? Maybe I should I give them a try for rhodium plating?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results