shape
carat
color
clarity

? re: painting and digging

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
Can anyone tell me if new GIA reports are the starting date that digging and painting are referenced on the certs? Were they referenced on older certs? Is there a date to keep in mind when shopping for a stone?

The same for AGS. Do they reference it on the cert? If so with what wording?

Thanks!!!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Me thinks you have placed too much emphasis on info from trader or taders website who uses this topic as a scare tactic.

The same people used minor facets data as a similar scare tactic

These issues are rarely encountered and often when they are the stones do not suffer because of painting or minor digging. At one stage GIA actually favoured digging (although it might have been more about promotion for funding)

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
Gary, as a consumer, is there any obvious way to know you are looking at such a stone?

And does it affect the pricing of a stone?

Thanks!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
if you post ideal-scope pics here we can identify it.
The little vee shape leakages at the half facet edges are longer in painted and the entire upper girdle facets edges are usually dimmer in dug stones.

Some companies charge a premium for painted diamonds, which is one reason why other companies say it is bad.

You figure it out and tell me
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results